Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
guys have had my evo 5 for 15 months now and have never used the water button down by the gear stick,when im giving it some welly i just seem to be racing througth the gears and don't seem to have time to reach down and press the button how the hell do you guys manage to do it.can somebody give me some tips.also does it use the water in the windscreen washer bottle.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I asked this question a couple of weeks ago:

Most people said they used it when they had/were sitting in traffic - so when the road cleared the intercooler would be nice and wet. Evaporation causes cooling.

Yes it does use the washer bottle.

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jonah,
If the Evo 5 setup is the same as the Evo 6 then it doesn't use the windscreen washer water. There is a separate bottle for the intercooler spray located under the bonnet on the front drivers side next to the power steering fluid reservoir. The windscreen washer bottle is in the boot on the passenger side of the car.

As Jeremy says, the spray is there to put water onto the i/c to enhance the cooling effect by usinf the heat in the intake air to evaporate the water that is sitting on the i/c.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought that on the V it did use the same reservoir, and that they changed it to seperate ones for the VI...?

Not sure though

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
derek there is no washer bottle in my boot so it must come from the washer bottle in the engine compartment

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The 5 does use the same water in the window washer bottle. It was changed on the 6.

If not then I've got a mistery tank somewhere that has never run dry in nearly 2 years of ownership :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to solve the problem swap the horn wires for the water spray wires so then you can press at will works really well . also blade runs the pe water spray system this is on a timer v intake temp .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, the I/C spray is provided by the same tank as the washer bottle on the V - I read it the handbook today.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
guys i have now tried the water cooler spray and the car did feel more responsive but that could just be me.my next question is where does the water go is it inside the intercooler or the outside sorry if i sound like a numpty but its good to know, also how long should i hold the button down for.all advice greatfully recieved jonah

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jonah,
It sprays water onto the outside surface of the intercooler. How long you should hold it down for will depend on a lot of things. Ideally you should hold it down long enough to get as much of the intercoler coated with water as possible.....
All this really translates into is that if you are moving then hold it down longer than if you are stationary because there will be less water hitting the intercooler due to the airflow through it blowing water from it.

Spraying water into the intake air is termed 'water injection' and is used for similar purposes of cooling the intake air charge but also helps prevent detonation happening due to the formation of steam in the combustion chamber causing the combustion flame front to slow down in speed.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the Ralliart UK users manual and Evolution book you get with any UK car it suggests that you shouldn't use the intercooler spray for more than 20 seconds continuously. There's even a diagram showing how it all works.....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting question is that if you have water injection, do you need bother with the water spray. I am thinking probably not.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Blade,
You can still use the water spray even with water injection. It all helps to cool the intake charge temp and the colder the better (up to a point ;) See previous thread on larger intercoolers).

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
and if you do have a water injection system then you can use the activation circut to operate the water sprayer too (unless you have a 7 and its auto anyway)

one slight technical hitch is that you go through a lot of water!

andrew

1 - 15 of 15 Posts