Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the difference between the wastegate and the blow off valve. Ive always thought they were the same thing. Can anyone help me ?
Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Daz,
wastegate is a valve in the turbo exhaust housing and controls boost pressure.

blowoff or dump valve is a pneumatic valve fitted before the throttle body to vent stalled boost pressure created when lifting off the throttle from stalling the turbo , this can damage it and causes lag

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wastegate
The Wastegate is a valve that bypasses exhaust gases around the turbo impellor thus keeping it from spinning too fast and self destructing.

Blow-Off Valve
A Blow-Off Valve or Dump-Valve is there to get rid of unwanted boost pressure when the throttle butterfly is closed (e.g. when changing up a gear).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daz,
You might want to try and get your hands on a book called 21st Century Performance which explains an awful lot about modern-day car workings. Personally, it has been indispensible in getting to grips with how my car works and what everything does (and how/why). I ordered mine directly from Autospeed in Oz, though I think Amazon might be carrying it now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WHSmith are also quoting up to 2 weeks delivery, although I hope they'd be quicker. Direct from Autospeed with the express delivery option it is only about £2 more that WHSmith and arrives in about 4-5 days. Without the express delivery it'd be about the same price and probably 1-2 weeks.

Are we seeing a pattern here? http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

Having said that I'd probably have ordered mine from WHSmith if I'd known they did it, at least then if there are any hassles you can go and hit them with sticks untill they sort it out. You'd need a mighty big stick to hit anyone at Autospeed!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
H,
Excuse me for correcting u , but the wastegate is there to control boost pressure via actuator , boost solenoid and ecu/boost controller , to prevent overboost not to prevent the turbo from overspeeding.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah you are right.
I wrote a really long answer explaining how it worked, got ####ed off, shortened it and know I realise I left the main reason out which was boost control.

You should have seen what I was going to put about Blow-Off Valves until I decided to 'go with the flow' and put down what everyone else thinks they are fitted for. It would have been too controversal and I can't be arsed at the moment to explain myself

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
H,
My original reply was also epic , but my connection dropped out as I began to post and I lost the f####r http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/biggrin1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

So used a much abbreviated answer in a tantrum [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

1 - 10 of 10 Posts