Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My washer bottle has started to freeze ,but not thaw,I only run clean water in it and no washer liquid.
the washer liquid I find discolours the intercooler ,leaving white deposits.
Any one tried ? or any ideas how to stop the freezing ,not smear the windscreen and not leave white residue on the cooler.I thought of meths ,but i thought NO! that could catch fire with the heat from the cooler.I don't want to part fill with vodka either as too expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi,

I think that you should be using some kind of washer additive in the water to stop it freezing. If it's cold enough out to freeze the washer bottle you don't need to spray the intercooler!:D
Kinda obvious i would of thought ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gsred.

The cold weather is also pumping up the the boost a little as I have found a little lag in the system,which doesn't normally happen .plus I don't ponse about with too slow a driving ,so temps are about usual.
But even so there must be an alternative some where that I could use during the summer that would clear the screen fron Sh!t like flys and still not leave a residue on the cooler.
Meths or alchahol based.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Paul

You can always spray your intercooler some nasty off white colour to disguise the residue.

Or get a second washer bottle fitted under the bonnet with water in for the intercooler only. Most washer bottles come complete with the pump. You have only got to get someone to reroute the power feed to the second bottle and reroute the washer hose to connect to the spray

Cheers

Lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just don't buy any of Halfords own brand washer fluid. I bought some last week and it stinks like mad. It's like someone has chucked in your car every time you spary! It is supposed to be good down to -40 though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shorty

IPA (isopropyl alcohol) would to the trick, you can get it from most good chemists and some hardware shops.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Paul,
The interrcoolerspay bottle is in the front, by the oil cooler,with cold air blasting on it. The Windscreen washer bottle is in the boot, if memory serves me correctly.( been awhile since I owned a GSR, collect mine tommorow.)
Try vodka as a good clear de icer, if it doesnt work on the the Glass, it would warm up your insides instead!. all the best,
RogerRally

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VODKA ?????

Jeez, obviously too much money !!!! ROFL !

You could try adding 25% methanol to 75% water, pure methanol is clear
and methanol is used in many quality screen washes.

If your not far from Kent, pop down, you can have some for nout, I keep quite
a bit for my water injection mix.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chunky,
you seem to have a worryingly great knowledge of chemistry
do you read a lot,or are you a wizard ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Shorty,

If you ain't got screenwash just bung a bit of engine antifreeze in the bottle - seems to clean the screen a bit too.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ARGH!
Never use antifreeze as a screenwash, antifreeze can damage the paintwork!

Sorry, got carried away there Steve ;) but its not a good idea especially Ethylene Glycol based antifeeze that you would be using in an Evo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Each time my 6 goes into the local Mitsi dealer for a service they top up the washer bottles with Mitsi screen wash and leave the remainder of the bottle in the car for me. I have been using the same stuff for nearly 2 years and have no marks on the intercooler at all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts