Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading the thread on which special to buy..blah blah...I came up with the following theory which I believe works.However I am a useless no nothing twot.

Would I be right in assuming that the outcome is that for the ideal useable car it would be a GSR with an extreme s type engine at the heart...i.e mod cons |PLS| grunt.

would i also be right in assuming that any modifications carried out by ralliart on a new car would carry the full warranty of the car? (possible failing of my argument there).

so price of extreme s about £40k - price of GSR about £28k |EQU|£12k.

nowsurely if you went to dudly with a cheque for £40k and picked yourself a nice new car of your choice |PLS| £12k worth of ralliart approved extras you could get a car which has the money spent on areas that are important to you and you don't have those damn awful extreme colours(personal opinion). and a 3yr warranty to boot.

sounds perfect.

ok guys let me have it..I'm wrong arent i. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Would you be able to do the same for 12k as options purchases as a full package (i.e. as an Extreme) are often a better deal.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rob
Obviously you don't like the metalic black, which is the colour of my car. I don't have the silver skirts. IMO, black is the best colour for a 7 anyway!

There are a few flaws in your arguement. A GSR from Dudley will cost you £29,995. You could get a GSR from other sources, but the best price I have seen is £28495 and that is without alarm, non metalic paint and without the titanium turbo. I amsure that you have read other threads about the turbo so make up your own mind.

Besides the above, you are correct. You can buy the car and the parts and it will save you a lot of money. You will still have to do the work or get somebody to do it for you. I am sure that you can get somebody who charges a lower labour rate to do it. But at the end of it you would not have an Extreme. All you would have is a tuned GSR.

So what, you may ask. Well, 3 things spring to mind. Firstly, despite what other have said, IN MY OPINION I have yet to see other tuners who can get the same performance without spending at least as much. PLEASE DON'T ALL JUMP ON THIS - instead wait for the test day organised for March. Even if you can get the same performance, I have seen so many postings about people complaining that they cannot get any of value of the mods back when selling the car that I believe it is reasonable to assume that the depreciation will very high compared with an Extreme. Finally, there is the warranty, which on a tuned car has to be worth something!

BTW, although I have talked about the Extreme here, I would also apply the above to the WRC 340 and 380. Although there is no evedence yet, I suspect that they will hold their value more than if you bought a car and added the parts. And with Warrender you would get a 1 year warranty.

Bizz
There have been attempts to add the cost of the Extreme parts but all that i have seen (by MichaelK) have not stacked up. There are some things that they probably save money on because of the bulk purchase. For instance, AntsEvo recently got a quote for the wheels and tyres from the wheel manufacture which was £3,000. That was direct while I have seen the same for sale retail at £4000!!! But remember, it is not the just the cost of the parts. You need to add labour as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
simon,

the whole point of my view was that ralliart would carry out the work so the warranty would be intact?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Simon,
I don't think Rob was talking about getting a GSR to an Extreme spec, what he was saying was that if everyone wants something different then why not get a GSR and have the extra money spent on the extra bits that you want i.e. not everyone wants nice shiny wheels and a dodgy colour scheme (which I know you haven't got http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/tonguewink1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >) etc... so the money you could save by sticking with the standard wheels could be used on buying more power, bigger brakes and so on.

What you really need IMHO is an RSX version of the 7 which still has elecy windows, aircon and other home comforts but does away with AYC and then give it a bit more power.

Just my $2 worth

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andy

There are many routes to Nirvana! I agree with alot of what you say about the RSX version. The real thing that I want is an RS with the short gear ratios, aircon, elec windows etc and the soundproofing of the gSR. Is that what the RSX has. It is the soundproofing that makes the big difference for every day driving. Having driven the Extreme S, the lack of soundproofing is the single biggest thing that gets in the way of it being useable daily transport!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rob

Sorry, M8, missed that bit! I really don't know. It might work because, as you say you can have whatever colour you want with whatever mods you want. You would need to speak to them. The only flaw I can see is that they give the warranty on a proven package which they have much experience of and understand the problems that occur. And the issue of depreciation.

However, as a cheaper route to what you want, it must be worth exploring. If you do, pleasae let us know how you get on.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ROB VI,

Very good point. A GSR with the extreme S engine mods would do fine for me.
I know it wouldn't be the same as a GSR based extreme but everyone has different
priorities.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
unfortunately it was merely a hyperthetical situation that came to me whilst exploring the previous thread. If I could afford 40K on a new motor. I think I would go a different route completely? who knows I think my first trip would be to the divorce court? It is certainly a good point though. Andy has read my thoughts exactly. think I would by a second hand 4 for a good price then lok at buying something silly like a caterham r500 for summer days and track events (230bhp and 2.5kg approx;) and revs to 9k.....weeeeeeeeeeeooooooowwwww.

if only we all had blades budget. life would be much better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.