Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my mates just had a weird problem with his VI, so be careful that it does not happen to you.
One of the screws that maintains the belt for the oil pump was not fixed well. This caused the belt to break (not aligned well enough), and the oil pump did not rotate (I just let you imagine the rest, as it is too painful to tell).
The VI was brand new, so we are pretty sure that the unscrewd screw was a factory's mistake.

I checked mine, and it is okay, but be careful with yours

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve,

I do not know the word in english, but it it the screw that keeps in place the device that keeps the oil pump belt stretched at all times (in french, we call it poulie )
Hope this will help you

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Tarik. Could you tell me where to look in the engine bay for the belt and screws? I had a quick check buit couldn't find it for myself.

Steve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All I can think of is the cam belt tensioner? or does he mean by the oil pump the power steering pump i.e. alternator belt?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/inter/NEWS/0004-09/n000726a.html

I've just checked back thru the recall problems submitted
July 26 2000.
Reference to URL above, submission 644 states :

' Crankshaft Pulley may drop off due to inadequate tightening
of the bolt that securing the pulley to the crankshaft '

This recall affects lancers and mirages from sept 25th 1995
- feb18 1999. A total volume of cars 147,716.

Now the lancer it refers to may only be the standard sedan,
but it makes you wonder.

I find it incredible that something as fundamental as a bolt that secures a pulley that drives the timing belt has not tightened correctly. And over a span of 4 years no less !

Its worth a quick check, just for peace of mind.

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To Hornet: Yes, and thank you, it was indeed the tensioner which was loose

To M. Mime: The VI I am talking about is a '2000, so it seems that the time span is still widening (and it also seems to me that the man in charge of the screws in the factory should have been fired 5 yeras ago...)

To SteveC: I don't know how to explain exactly where it is (sorry)

If someone finds a problem like that, plese let us know

Tarik

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tarik,
It is worrying, since on the MMC site they have a statement of an action plan to address the recall issues and improve ' quality '.
This issue may not have been addressed at all yet.

A further statement that refers to the AYC problem only refers to the car as ' Lancer ', so the statement I've quoted im my
previous message , could well refer to EVO lancers too.

-Mr Mime

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Of course it is worrying ! We love our cars don't we?

My guess is that at the factory they ar so sure that the Evos will be taken down in pieces to rebuild them for racing that maybe they don't think a not-that-well-fixed crew is important.

To give you another example, I just had the parallelism on my VI done (5000 kms), and as the front left wheel had a zero degree alignment (it meens neutral), the front right one was 3(!) degrees in
And I didn't hit nothing, so my guess is a problem at the factory as well. Anyway, I am having my car checked one part after another just to make sure

Good Luck with yours

Tarik

1 - 10 of 10 Posts