Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I would start a build thread on the Evo IX Wagon GT I picked up as a family car to go with the Evo X I currently drive as a daily. It may well end up replacing the X as it seems to be able to do it all!

The X is currently running 400 440 and you can see some of its build on this thread although its not up to date with the Motec dash etc :handsup:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=457654

Both cars are looked after by MG due to service and location :smthumbup

The IX is a fresh import bought from a distance via SVA imports. I have to say that their service was very good and apart from a minor ding on the front end the car is in fantastic condition.

Front end ding

First things first, I hate crap brakes and the discs were not in good condition so off they came to be replaced with some Giros.

Dave at MG did a great job cleaning up the hubs etc to make sure everything would be great.

He works on your car as though it were his own and you can't ask for more! Unless of course you value your undertray........

Dave is not their biggest fan as you can see from him booting mine to the wind after a testy fight in which he had to resort to cutting :lol:

I wanted a base dyno to work with so off we went to that evil place scooby clinic.

It made decent power for a standard car especially considering it was 30C. You can see that timing was pulled at the top end and its not the smoothest of graphs.

Matt decided to try out one of his intercoolers that MG make now, to see if it would make much difference. I have left the standard intercooler in the pics as a comparison.

Once fitted we shot back up to the dyno only to see it was even hotter now! :mad:

Similar power made but with a smoother curve and no loss top end so I would call that a win :smthumbup (be aware the scales are different)

After seeing a few IX's on here with X wheels I thought I would try it out too. Took the winter tyres off and got some new rubber on them as well as a power coat.

On they went and off to the MG services alignment centre, next door to MG autos :coolsm:

Turns out one of the front arms is a little bit bent so one front wheel is around 5mm further to the rear of the car than the other. :goingmad: Needless to say it pulls slightly to that side :lol:

Seeing as I have some Ohlins on the X I thought i would try the Bilstein B16's on the IX (nothing to do with the Ohlins not being in stock :blush:). They should arrive in a couple of weeks along with a full superpro kit and roll centre kit. After that its a Blouch XTR and full engine rebuild (Moh took me for a spin :naughty:). I will update as parts go on.

The aim of the build is 500+BHP in a perfectly drivable family car. I know its only a number but I have not taken a car over 500 before so thought it would make a change. Its going to be used to haul my 1 year old about along with any and all equipment she might need so having an all round car is the aim. I will keep you updated on how that goes :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Subscribed! Amazing car! Best of luck! You are going in the right direction! Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see future updates...Cheers!

Reactions: Dave H-B

·
Registered
146 Posts
Looks spot on. Going to be an interesting thread.
Is mat selling the intercoolers now or is it still in development stages?

·
Premium Member
7,810 Posts
Ace car that mate.:smthumbup
I'd put a normal back number plate on it if it was mine so it doesn't look as 'importy'.
Apart from that...:coolsm:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Looks spot on. Going to be an interesting thread.
Is mat selling the intercoolers now or is it still in development stages?
As Dave said, yes they are selling them now, and they also do some really nice exhausts, one of which will be going on this wagon. I was very impressed with cooler, so if you are thinking of getting one, go and have a look. I will let you know how it is long term but has made a very positive difference to the car all by itself :smthumbup

Looks good - Nice wagon :D

Whats the spec of your X :D....any pics also :cool:
Thanks buddy. The X is running a standard 400 440 spec and can be seen using the link at the top of the OP or here
Its not up to date as my wife and I ended up with a very unexpected child so time has not been on my side, but at least it means I have an excuse for a Wagon :blush: Only major difference is the MoTec dash and map it now has, allowing it to put 100% BHP down but only 50% torques up to 50% throttle (the X is drive by wire). I was going to be doing a big build on the X but with the baby now here we needed something a little bigger for all the prams and bags of nappies :crackup:

Ace car that mate.:smthumbup
I'd put a normal back number plate on it if it was mine so it doesn't look as 'importy'.
Apart from that...:coolsm:
Yes mr wolf, I will certainly have a look at doing that once I have the V5 and can throw the private plate on it.

Thanks for all the positive comments, hopefully I will see a few of you about in the near future, and i will of course keep you updated with what is happening with the car :smthumbup

·
Moderator™
27,629 Posts
Thanks buddy. The X is running a standard 400 440 spec and can be seen using the link at the top of the OP or here
Its not up to date as my wife and I ended up with a very unexpected child so time has not been on my side, but at least it means I have an excuse for a Wagon :blush: Only major difference is the MoTec dash and map it now has, allowing it to put 100% BHP down but only 50% torques up to 50% throttle (the X is drive by wire). I was going to be doing a big build on the X but with the baby now here we needed something a little bigger for all the prams and bags of nappies :crackup:
arrrr I remember that thread = - Evo X looks :coolsm: :smthumbup

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sorry for the slow reply mate, have you got it now?

I bet you were very excited to get your hands on it after the build, how are you finding it now? Do you use it as special occasions car or a daily, and if used as a daily, how you finding all that extra power and torque to live with? :coolsm:

Will get this thread updated now that i am back in country and have had a chance to have a play with some different suspension setups.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE:Suspension, bushes, new arm PICTURE HEAVEY

Well its been a few weeks since we got all the suspension parts done on the car so I really should update where it is at I guess.

Ended up with the Bilstein B16's which are a pretty shock

The biggest difference I found with these (on a day to day use) and the Ohlins DFV's I have on the X is the adjust ability. The Ohlins have a small 32 point adjuster, where as these have a much larger adjuster with only 8 setting. It makes them much easier to adjust and they have a much more positive feel when making adjustments. They ride very well (not too crashy) on our somewhat rubbish b-roads although I did manage to break something the first week I had them on the car :wallbang: (I need to learn that avoiding 1 pot hole only to hit another 1 doesn't help)

The Bilstein are designed to be used with your standard mounts, but this meant very little adjustment could be made to the geometry of the car, so some new mounts where bought and fitted.

So back it went next door and onto the Hunter

At the same time as putting on the Bilsteins, we threw on a bush kit :smthumbup Its a full Super Pro kit which included a whole lot of bits!

When I say we I mean Dave and Ady whilst I watched and laughed at the somewhat surreal:
"No just stand behind me! That's right now push, push dammit!"
"I can't, its too big, its won't go in!"
At this point I thought I should leave them to it :eek:

Its not the newest car, so doing the bushes made a huge difference and turned a tank into an agile Evo once more :D The fact that the 2 front wheels are now in line didn't hurt the handling either.
New arm:

Whilst the car was there the underside was finished up with a Beatrush undertray.

The tray makes it a lot easier and faster to get at the underside of the car without you losing the protection of a tray. You can really 'feel' the tray above 80mph at which point it also starts to make a bit noise :crackup:
Ady fitted some spongy bits to try and quiet it down somewhat ;)

Initially the car was understeering when really being pushed, or bouncing the back end round on 90 degree + turns, which was not something I wanted, so over the last few weeks it has been fine tuned to be a lot more neutral in the corners allowing a bit more control from the driver to decide where to go. I really can't thank Dave, Ady, Matt, and Mr B for all the hard work that has gone on so far :smthumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts