Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a 18 month old VW Passat Tdi. When I was viewing the car I was told it would be serviced as part of the deal.

I picked the car up on Wednesday and noticed on Thursday that the service book hasn't been stamped or updated.

I then received a letter from the very garage I bought the car from on Friday saying my car was due a service:eek:

I've not contacted the garage as yet but will be doing so tomorrow.

Is there anyway to check if the car has been serviced? I'd thought about dipping the oil but i've done a few hundred miles by now so i'm guessing the oil will be pretty dark even if it had been changed. I also though about looking at the oil filter but if the car has an undertray then the filter might stay pretty clean anyway?

Any ideas?

Anyone know how I can tell if/when they've reset the service light?

My suspicion is that they've reset the service light without actually doing anything else.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
passat

the oil filter hsg will show signs of oil spilliage/ wiping[i think its the new type with an insert]
pollen filter should be as new-thats above passengers feet-i did mine,really helped with de-misting...
air filter should be as new
thats about it-you could take the undertray off and check sump nut-but some garages sook the oil out now
still cant find that 16v linkey yet for you

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the oil filter hsg will show signs of oil spilliage/ wiping[i think its the new type with an insert]
pollen filter should be as new-thats above passengers feet-i did mine,really helped with de-misting...
air filter should be as new
thats about it-you could take the undertray off and check sump nut-but some garages sook the oil out now
still cant find that 16v linkey yet for you
Cheers Tony, I'll have a look at the oil filter housing.

Pollen filter - the car has only done 11k miles and was on the long life service plan so may not even have had the pollen filter changed

·
Registered
9,261 Posts

dont think it would even be due an oil change at 11k,its around 20k or when the on board says....
are you used to the handbrake and key yet
i didnt realise you could just drive off for about a week till a mate told me lol

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
dont think it would even be due an oil change at 11k,its around 20k or when the on board says....
are you used to the handbrake and key yet
i didnt realise you could just drive off for about a week till a mate told me lol
Well technically its probably not due an oil change but the garage said it would be serviced so I assumed the least they'd do is change the oil and stamp the book. It was a VW dealer after all.

Then 2 days after collecting the car I get a letter saying the car is due a service and that the brake fluid should be changed. :mad:

I'm getting used to the key and handbrake now but its still taking time.

Can you just drive off with the handbrake engaged? I thought it was a bit weird trying to pull out of a parking space which was on a slope. Had to press the footbrake to disengage the handbrake and then quickly swap my right foot onto the gas pedal and pull away.

I know with the auto hold button pressed that when you come to a stop using the footbrake and then release the brake that the car will just stay still until you you pull away. That seems like a decent function.

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
handbrake

as long as you have your seatbelt on just drive off-it automatically comes off
weird eh..lol
for the first week i was pressing the brake then the handbrake button to release.
remember and carry the 10mm in case it sticks on.........

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
as long as you have your seatbelt on just drive off-it automatically comes off
weird eh..lol
for the first week i was pressing the brake then the handbrake button to release.
remember and carry the 10mm in case it sticks on-lol
interesting....is it an easy fix if the handbrake sticks on?

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
h/brake

disconnect battery and re-connect,hence 10mm
they allegedly start to do it when rear pads get low....:eek:
mine had new pads before i got it,never had any issues whatsoever with the car except rumbling from the rear which was a faulty new tyre-the wife drives it most of the time

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
disconnect battery and re-connect,hence 10mm
they allegedly start to do it when rear pads get low....:eek:
mine had new pads before i got it,never had any issues whatsoever with the car except rumbling from the rear which was a faulty new tyre-the wife drives it most of the time
cheers for the info mate - much appreciated.

The wife will drive ours most of the time too. I'll either be in the Evo or her wee Saxo:blush:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Taking the camcover of can reveal some things; driving to many miles with old oil a few times will show quite alot of black sludge underneath.

·
MLR Oldie
14,971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Taking the camcover of can reveal some things; driving to many miles with old oil a few times will show quite alot of black sludge underneath.
The car is on the long life service plan so the oil should be changed every 2yrs or 20k miles as far as I believe. The car is under 2 years old and has only done 11k miles so its not really been driven with old oil as such.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts