Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i tried venting my stock bov to the atmosphere, i had a very rich mixture and my idling became erratic, the engine just stalls. is their no way of venting it to atmosphere? does this mean it won't be possible to upgrade to an aftermarket bov?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BLKU,
The stock recirc BOV will leak under idle conditions and so you will be adding air to the engine that isn't going through the airflow meter and so under idle, you will be running very lean and it will be lumpy and possibly stall occasionally.
The richness will be caused by the fact that when the BOV vents off, the air (that has already passed the airflow meter) will be vented to atmosphere instead of back into the intake and so the ECU will provide fuel for this air even though it isn't getting to the cylinders.

Some aftermarket BOV's have a spring or dual chamber activation method that means that they don't leak under idle conditions but the rich mixture will always be there every time you lift off the throttle and the BOV opens.

Hope this helps

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks, is there a way of eliminating the MAF sensor, a have a friend (with the same engine) who removed the MAF sensor, the only setback is he had to set his idle to 2000rpm.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, you can get rid of the Mass air....fit either an HKS VPC (have one on my VR4), or go full standalone (LINK, TECII, various others).

your friend did not just get rid of his mass air..you need either the mass air or MAP sensor for the car to run..and if it idles at 2000 rpm, I wouldn't copy him or even ask for car advise from him anymore!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts