Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just to let you know that I have received 2 suspect viruses via email both have the same text in the message which is shown below. I am posting it on here as they were received via an email address I only use on here so other users be warned.

The subject title I think is varied and the attachments were different as well, one being based on an Excel document and the other on a Word document. The text in the message was the same in both cases though and read:

Hi! How are you?

I send you this file in order to have your advice

See you later. Thanks
The attachments looked like normal .doc or .xls files BUT they had an extension on the end which was '.pif'. This clearly indicates it was a virus so I just deleted them. If anyone else receives an email with the above text then DO NOT open the attachment, just delete the email.

I don't think I need to say this but always be careful with email you have received from an unknown source and especially if they contain attachments.

Thank you.

Colin Booker

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i have had the same email . my hotmail account checks for viruses and it detected that one . the message to me was : sending this to you for your advise . pretty bad that some one is trying to do stuff like that !!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I always get these emails to my hotmail account, sometimes with 200k attachments! As HH6 says, just delete them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers HH6 i also had this mail about 2 weeks ago but was unable to open the attachment , glad i couldent now..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And me passed it on to every one I know.Accidently,as started to wipe my programs.Now try you bastrd !

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was sent the exact same e-mail as Heave Ho Six. It was a SIRCAM worm virus and had attached its self to one of my own documents.

Mt Anti Virus software did not detect the virus and I opened the attachement. I loss the use of my PC for two days trying to rid myself of the virus and had to format the hard drive.

I now have Norton Personal Firewall which has stopped several virus's since the first one but strangley since I received the first e-mail with the virus I keep getting attempted attacks/intrusions on my PC which my Fire Wall protection has blocked.

The initial virus came from a mail shot sent out to everyone on Warrenders mailing list. Warrender sent the mail shot out but it went to everyone several times including others not on their mailing list. These others were not very happy so sent back an e-mail to everyone on warrenders mailing list with a virus attached.

The only advice I can give is if you do not know the sender of the e-mail then delete it.

I learnt the hard way.

Skeletor

1 - 8 of 8 Posts