Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the last 24 hours I've received emails containing the badtrans.b virus from 3 or 4 people I've had contact through the MLR over the last few years. The three that I'm sure of are Trevor Mudd, Mark Watson and amp; Gary Crump - time to look at antivirus software guys!

I've not been affected but it looks pretty much like many of you that have traded emails will have received this one. Go here for more information:

http://antivirus.about.com/library/weekly/aa112401a.htm

This one's pretty virulent, in addition to the 3 or 4 I mentioned I've had 2 others in the last 24hrs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chunky

I've received many like you including one from Trevor.

How to spot them. Subject always is RE. Text nil. Attachments YES.

DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT.

JF

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just had it! (The virus that is!)

It tries to launch something automatically on viewing of the email, therefore, if you're using Outlook and you have the preview pane on then when going in to the folder or clicking the mail it will try and infect you straight away!

As previously mentioned, this has a subject line of Re: and nothing else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Use Norton anti virus, it hooks into Outlook and stops it opening the attachment (asks if you want to save it to disk instead).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People I have received this from:-

Dario
Trevor Mudd
Barry Healing (Wazuptommi?)
Clive Walpole (CliveW?)
Kurt Ramsden
Rita Tulliani
Skippy
Gary Crump (Evoboy)
Mark Watson
Sylvia Lappe
Luke (aka Hypo)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here, I have had about 8 emails containing this virus, but luckily for me, I use a Mac in work, they dont affect macs! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have had to get my IT dept to get rid of these e.mails this morning as they had sent a virus to my PC, I am taking myself off the yahoo groups so that it doesn't happen again. Toooooo risky.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I too have had emails from three people with no re: . from dario , clive walpole and gary crump. why are they sending viruses to people ??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey i got that virus too, the only people i've had emails from are andy fox and someone else i cant remember. i opened the email but didn't see an attachment wouldn't have opened it anyway cuz that would be stupid. what does it do to your pc?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
These people dont intentionally send the viruses, these viruses, seek out adress books on your computer, and send them selves to every one on the list, without the people knowing! They can totally **** up your computer in many ways, and also wrap themselves around programs and in sub programs, so it is vertually impossible to get rid off em.. What ever you do, dont oppen the attachments! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just had a mail labeled from Trevor mudd and titled Re:
fortunately deleted it before opening .
Chunky thanks very much for the warning ,I had a virus not so long ago that went out to the odd one or 2.
The virus must be going around automatically sending mail from the address books.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fück, I got these too, from Trevor, etc, just like you said. How do you get rid of those? I opened one! McAfee and Norton are active but have appearently not detected it :(

Blade

Sylvia is my ma, she hasnt used her computer for 2 months and would never send anybody a virus. It's like someone said, it looks up people's addresses in the phone book and sends a virus. I keep getting more and more.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bloody thing , it's taken me 2 hrs this morning 2 purge that little ******* from my PC, don't have a clue where it came from.
That will teach me 2 update my AV software :(
Chunky ,thanks 4 the warning M8.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just read the emails on my ma's computer. There are messages from firewalls saying my message could not be delivered. But I did not send messages.

Ther lucky ones who did not get the message are:
Oliver Goodwin
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

It says there:
Calico UK WebShield SMTP Anti-Virus 4.5 MR1a detected the virus W32/[email protected] in
the message Re: sent from and amp;lt;[email protected] and amp;gt; to and amp;lt;[email protected] and amp;gt; - The message
and the infected file named unknown have not been delivered. - Please check
your anti-virus software for the latest updates and remove this virus from your
machine before sending further email.

So how do you get rid of the W32/[email protected] virus thing? Anybody managed to get rid of it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry, chunky, didnt look at your link. Anyway, here it is:

Removal Instructions
If possible, use updated antivirus software to detect and remove the virus. To remove the virus manually requires editing the system registry and should not be attempted unless familiar with such edits.

To remove manually:

Browse to the HKLMSOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunOnce registry key and remove the value KERNEL32.EXE

Reboot the system (preferably into DOS mode), change to the WindowsSystem directory, and delete the following files:

kdll.dll
KERNEL32.EXE

Last updated: November 26, 2001

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I had more than 100 emails with the virus, and I have a windows system folder that is affected, but norton 2001 can not repair the folder!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
IMPORTANT

It goes without saying that you should never open email attachments without knowing what the are in the first place (I NEVER do - in fact I'm not even tempted - I been using the net for far too long now and have been caught out before) but the thing about this virus is that it will infect your computer even if you don't open the attachment because it auto-executes when you view the mail (even though it's blank)

This IS however a way to stop this happening and that is by downloading a Microsoft security update that you can find here

I seriously suggest everyones updates with this but also I would suggest kepping those virus checkers up-to-date too.

Ady

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
What a tricky Virus Auto-Execute.My computors at my offices are not infected as I have latest ant-virus but I did not have on my home PC which was infected.IT IS NOW CLEAN and protected by NOD 32 Fierwall goes in tomorow Im now safe .If I send an e-mail to any member I will head it (Subject) Barry Virus Free,

Good Luck All Barry:)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts