Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 5 years out of the evo world I think its time to re live the dream! After selling my 8 MR (big mistake) and wasting money on numerous Porsche 997's I still hanker after another evo!

I have the opportunity of a nice X, 2008, manual, low miles, FMSH and mapped by evo tune to 400/380 ish. It looks as if all recalls are sorted and the owner is a sensible chap.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of with these cars? Are the engine and turbo o.k to take this kind of power on standard internals? I hear stories about timing chains and AYC pumps (which died on my 8MR!). What is the failure rate on these parts? When I had my last 911, there were constant scare stories about bore scoring, rear main seal and ims problems....I had none and got the feeling that people only report on the net about faulty cars, and not about those that never miss a beat!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Manny :smthumbup

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
My chain & AYC were fine in the first 4 years of the car' life but went one after another in a matter of 2 months even though I don't drive like a nutter. Other people (including tuners) advise to have the chain replaced no matter what due to the revised construction and I have to agree.

If you want immaculate, do have a look at the wear on interior components; leather bits in some cars seem to wear awfully fast and (thanks Lee) I just gotten a quote of 275 quid to replace my aluminium/leather gearknob.

The power of around 400bhp usually needs a proper rod job and usually a better clutch as well; look for those on any receipts.

Unsure if the seller is first owner or not but maybe http://lancerregister.com/forumdisplay.php?f=107 can help you as well?

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
or buy mine with everything done on it. :lol: New clutch, overhauled acd pump, rods done, new suspension, CMC, timing chain, Oil squirter thingy, fuel pump and fuel pump relay.
New centre diff. :)

but seriously, make sure you either get one with everything done or you WILL be paying out a few grand to have it all sorted.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
or buy mine with everything done on it. :lol: New clutch, overhauled acd pump, rods done, new suspension, CMC, timing chain, Oil squirter thingy, fuel pump and fuel pump relay.
New centre diff. :)

but seriously, make sure you either get one with everything done or you WILL be paying out a few grand to have it all sorted.
How much Mike?

·
Registered
11,496 Posts
More than most people willing to pay. It's an RS, and would have sold it last weekend for £19k which really I reckon is a bargain considering what has been spent on it recently. But sadly, it's gone back into storage as no-one wanted it and I had to come away back to work.

Just remember a decent clutch will set you back £12-1500+ a new centre diff is £1000+ and a rod thru a block? Priceless :lol: and an overhaul for acd pump will be £250+ depending where it's done and what it needs.

There's nearly 3k without labour on eng work. Make sure you buy the right X or it can (and does) end in tears often if not budgeted for.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Clutch master cylinder plastic in the X and right next to manifold so I'd change that straight away if it hasn't been done.

To be honest I'd buy one with diff bolts clutch CMC already done and forged will save £££ and piece of mind

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Clutch master cylinder plastic in the X and right next to manifold so I'd change that straight away if it hasn't been done.

To be honest I'd buy one with diff bolts clutch CMC already done and forged will save £££ and piece of mind
The CMC was done last week so that's one less thing to worry about. It's not forged which could be a problem....I might hang on for one with all of this done to come up.

cheers for the help guys, really appreciated

·
has a Carbon fetish
2,890 Posts
I have an SST with all this done for sale and forged rods.. If your willing to travel for a good one..

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have an SST with all this done for sale and forged rods.. If your willing to travel for a good one..
Distance is not an issue...ideally want a manual if possible, unless you can tempt me with a tasty price that I can't refuse....I have cash ;) no p/x

1 - 20 of 29 Posts