Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right i finally put my engine into my Slag and took it out for a little run to check all was well, but noticed i was getting very high oil temps at a steady 80 mph i was getting 100 deg c, then after giving it a hard push for a very brief moment it would shoot almost immediatley upto 130/140 deg c :eek:

After speaking to several people i know who know all there is to know, they said to take out a release valve thing thats threaded in behind the oil filter there o there abouts!! And was told that if it doesnt move in out freely thats what it might be ( Is this true?0 i took it out and i thought it wouldnt move therefore solving the problem, but i then took out the one i have in my other E3 and that one too seems as if it wont move :confused:

What i want to know should the whole thing move in and out freely or just the spring?, if so then i need to replace it on the other evo too :cry:
The valve is shown below...... any help would be very grateful as im stumped, Cheers

Chris

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh right in that case then they are both ok and something else is wrong, now i am really stumped and havent a clue what the problem is, anyone got any suggestions???

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right is that a different valve to the one ive shown in pic or the same one?
Many thanks for your help mate :D

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers matey ive asked if still for sale if not ill quote the part number to Mitsis and get one soon as!! Thanks alot for your help bud :D

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right tried a different valve thing today and still no difference, did about 20 miles and pulled up and put my hand on oil cooler and it was hot so that must be working fine, im wondering if the guage is playing about :confused:

In this pic there seems to be something else that bolts in near the valve i have replaced, does anyone know what this is/does, could it be something that goes wrong??

Cheers

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
thats the pressure relief valve,it keeps the oil pressure constant.
where have you the oil temp sender fitted

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So could that be causing a problem that im getting if its up the creek?

Ive got a sandwich plate in between the oil filter, i know they read slightly higher there butsurely not that much higher :confused:

Cheers bud

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
todd-w said:
thats the pressure relief valve,it keeps the oil pressure constant.
where have you the oil temp sender fitted
Hi mate, if that thing is a pressure relief valve, whats the name of the thing in my first post with the pic, part number md356695??
So i can ask mitsi's for it, as they dont always know what it is you want from just the part number as my mitsi place always has issues with my orders lol

Cheers bud :D

·
Premium Member
16,923 Posts
evonut270 said:
i would say the temps are ok.
They are not really, especially for this time of year when the ambient temp is low, in my Evo2 i get around 80-85degrees cruising at 80mph which goes upto around 95 if crusing at 110mph but never much more unless on track, then the most ive seen is 130degrees.

There defo is something amiss Chris, am i right in saying you have no oil pressure gauge ? be interesting to know what the pressure is like....also might be worth trying another cheapo oil temp gauge and sender off ebay to see if its just that.

Cheers
Ian

·
Premium Member
23,183 Posts
Funny thing is Ian, Chris came over weekend and temps was reading 110, but you could put your hand on the cooler it was hot but not 110ds

So we removed the dipstick and the oil was hot but you could touch it :confused:

But i should be getting some gauges this week and we are going to see what they say.

Lee

·
Premium Member
16,923 Posts
According to mitsi caps parts program ( see attached) the item in your first picture is the oil cooler bypass valve, the other item is pressure relief valve...hmmm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,923 Posts
Lee5 said:
Funny thing is Ian, Chris came over weekend and temps was reading 110, but you could put your hand on the cooler it was hot but not 110ds

So we removed the dipstick and the oil was hot but you could touch it :confused:

But i should be getting some gauges this week and we are going to see what they say.

Lee
Hmm is odd, presuming you have left the slags oil cooler and pipes on and just connected it straight onto the forged lumps housing etc ?..... another thing to try is changing the housing thats bolted to the oil pump with all these bits in to see if it helps, only 4 bolts iirc and simple enough to do in the car.

Cheers
Ian

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers for the diagram mate!!

I asked my cousin today whao had the same gauges as mine and he said that when you turn ignition on the gauge would read at zero but when i turn the ignition on it reads 50 deg c.... hmmmm maybe fooked gauge :confused:

Lee will defo try your gauge if ok with you?

And yeah everything on slag has stayed on cooler and pipes etc!!

Wanna get it sorted now, beginning to bug me lol

Cheers chaps

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,732 Posts
thetyrant said:
According to mitsi caps parts program ( see attached) the item in your first picture is the oil cooler bypass valve, the other item is pressure relief valve...hmmm
you think the oil is bypassing the cooler?

·
Premium Member
6,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It cant be can it, if the cooler is getting hot after a run, surely the cooler would be stay cold if it was bypassing it :confused:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts