Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Matt,

There's no import duty on goods shipped from another EU country.

But you will catch VAT (i.e. unless its a private sale by an individual rather than a trader) - what VAT depends if you're VAT registered. If you're buying as a non-VAT registered individual, the seller will add whatever rate of VAT applies in their own country. If you're buying as a trader and are VAT registered, you'll assess yourself UK VAT and reclaim it. I guess you're the former otherwise you wouldn't be asking ;)

Steve.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Steve C said:
Matt,

There's no import duty on goods shipped from another EU country.

But you will catch VAT (i.e. unless its a private sale by an individual rather than a trader) - what VAT depends if you're VAT registered. If you're buying as a non-VAT registered individual, the seller will add whatever rate of VAT applies in their own country. If you're buying as a trader and are VAT registered, you'll assess yourself UK VAT and reclaim it. I guess you're the former otherwise you wouldn't be asking ;)

Steve.
To clarify then Steve, If I were to buy say a Turbo from a trader in Holland (lol I assume Holland is an EU country!?) then I would pay the Dutch equivalent of VAT but wouldnt get lumbered with more when it got to the UK?

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
daveR said:
To clarify then Steve, If I were to buy say a Turbo from a trader in Holland (lol I assume Holland is an EU country!?) then I would pay the Dutch equivalent of VAT but wouldnt get lumbered with more when it got to the UK?
Dave, that right mate - if you are buying as an individual like I mentioned above. The supplier adds 19% Dutch VAT to the price and that's the end of the story - you won't pay UK VAT. VAT is an EU tax so the member countries have a reciprocal agreement that this is how it will work.

But - lets say you're VAT registered here in the UK. You give the Dutch supplier your VAT registration number and they don't add Dutch VAT. You would have to (effectively) charge yourself UK VAT on the price, but the difference is that you can probably reclaim the VAT on your VAT return. I say probably as if the turbo isn't a genuine expense related to your business then technically the VAT is not reclaimable, but that might depend whether the VAT inspector spots it :D One for your conscience maybe? ;)

Steve.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
AFAIK it doesn't matter if its second hand - if the seller is VAT registered and is in the business of selling car parts they will charge VAT. But I'll need to check tomorrow. You can always ask the seller before you buy to be sure :) .

Steve.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Just checked with our VAT expert - my gut feel was right. It doesn't matter whether the parts are new or second hand. It's the VAT status of the seller that affects whether you get charged it, so if its a VAT registered supplier, you'll be charged VAT: if its a non-registered private seller, you won't.

Happy shopping :)

Steve.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts