Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For some reason my 6 GSR is using up coolant, I've not noticed any leak or anything anywhere but I had to top it up last week and today it was empty, I'll check it every day just to make sure its ok but any suggestions?

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ryan,
Have you been running it hard recently and have you noticed any wet patches :)D) underneath the car after it has stopped. Sometimes if the coolant is filled up too much, it can overflow when the engine has stopped after hard running and this results in the coolant leaking out of the overflow pipe. The correct level is a few cm above the min mark when the engine is cold.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ryan,
What level do u use ?
With cold engine the level shud b on minium to about 10 mm over minimum , so when hot the level is around max. Filling 2 max when cold will cause it 2 eject coolant from the overflow.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Andy/Gary,
No I've not been running it hard at all, and its hard to see wet patches as its usually raining!

When the engine was cold the other day the level was only just on Min, I did top it up and may have put a little too much in, maybe then when it got hot it overflowed, then when cold it went back down under min? can that happen?

I'll check again before I drive home and make sure its only 10mm over and see what happens

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ryan,

I thought I was the only one experiencing this very problem (see my earlier post) on my E6. At first I thought I was going mad, because everytime I topped the coolant up to about halfway (when the engine was cool), I could almost guarantee it would drop back down to 'below' the min level after a casual run. At times it looks almost empty. Because the car is garaged I would look for signs of leaks, but there weren't any.

I was getting through so much coolant, that I decided to take it into my local Bishi dealer to have a pressure check done - my worst fear was a blown gasket. What it came to was a faulty water pump.... which they replaced for £300. However I'm not convinced as the car still runs with the coolant level 'below' the min mark (about 10mm below). Having said that it doesn't move much from this position. All I can suggest is that you keep an eye on the temp gauge (which is what I'm doing now). I've been running the car like this for over 1000 miles now without the engine overheating so I assume everything is O.K! I'ill just have to wait and see.

Daz

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i used to get this on my motorbikes. it was just amatter of the engine finding a level that it likes after expansion. keep an eye, it should bottom out to a level and stay there. if it keeps goin then u got a problem.

my tuned mini used to #### water out of the cap every time i stopped it. even the highest rated cap wouldn't stop it happening, made a real dirty mess of the engine bay...aaahgh a-series those were the days

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My E6 is on the min level line all the time. If I top it up to the max line it just gets rid of it on it's first run out and ends up back on the min line. I would'nt of thought this is much cause for concern.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
got to agree with the others here, what I think actually happened is that I topped the lvl up to max when I was checking the liquids out (I'm now paranoid about the car breaking and check things like this ever few days :( ) when it expanded it overflowed and then dropped below min, I again topped it up to max, same thing, only after talking to evoboy about this did I only top it up to 1cm above min, since then its been fine!

I've also never had any probs with temp rising.

did you see temp rising then? did you have any other symptoms? if not are you sure it was a pump problem?

R

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ryan,

to be perfectly honest, I think I've been ripped off. I didn't experience any problems with the temperature rising, but when they did the pressure check they were adamant there was a leak with the pump. I have yet to be convinced!!! Its daylight robbery if you ask me (having said that it was probably safer than to be sorry).

Daz

1 - 9 of 9 Posts