Lancer Register Forum banner
61 - 80 of 81 Posts

· Twincharged
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
I agree with Evoboy, I saved for years to buy my Evo and have now spent so much time and money on it, I'll probably never sell it so it's important to me to keep it fresh. I've seen parts of the underbody of my Evo 5 at the stage where serious rot will take hold in the next few years if I don't look after it so this year and from now on, it stays off the salty roads over winter.

The last 2 winters it was great fun in the snow but with the addition of the front plate type diff that's all changed. As soon as any throttle is used, it wants to go straight on so not much fun in the snow anymore. If I'm going to bend it, it'll most likely be during a hillclimb or sprint, at least I'll be having fun......... :D
 

· Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Madmac said:
I agree with Evoboy, I saved for years to buy my Evo and have now spent so much time and money on it, I'll probably never sell it so it's important to me to keep it fresh. I've seen parts of the underbody of my Evo 5 at the stage where serious rot will take hold in the next few years if I don't look after it so this year and from now on, it stays off the salty roads over winter.

The last 2 winters it was great fun in the snow but with the addition of the front plate type diff that's all changed. As soon as any throttle is used, it wants to go straight on so not much fun in the snow anymore. If I'm going to bend it, it'll most likely be during a hillclimb or sprint, at least I'll be having fun......... :D
Can't really understand how the underbody of your car got so bad? All the cars I've had with good underseal protection have lasted fine. My Peugeot is 13 years old without a spot of rust underneath and that's a french car let alone a Japanese one.

When I got mine I spent ages undersealing the thing properly so I didn't have to worry about rust.

Fair play using your Evo in sprints/hillclimbs though :) fun is what it's for! :coolsm:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
I am supposedly (according to SWMBO) only supposed to drive mine when it's dry or a weekend, the rest of the time I sould be in my Landy.................




BWAAAHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAAAA



Driven at every oppertunity :D
 

· Twincharged
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
MikeBee said:
Can't really understand how the underbody of your car got so bad? All the cars I've had with good underseal protection have lasted fine. My Peugeot is 13 years old without a spot of rust underneath and that's a french car let alone a Japanese one.

Basically i live in the country where the roads are covered in mud from tractors. Add some salt to that and the mud sticks and slowly rots away the metal.

Also my car was imported at 6mths old but the dealer never undersealed it and the previous owner didn't think to do this himself. French cars have good underseal and if the Evo was done as good as a french car, it'd still be mint. It's 10 years old now
 

· Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
Madmac said:
MikeBee said:
Can't really understand how the underbody of your car got so bad? All the cars I've had with good underseal protection have lasted fine. My Peugeot is 13 years old without a spot of rust underneath and that's a french car let alone a Japanese one.

Basically i live in the country where the roads are covered in mud from tractors. Add some salt to that and the mud sticks and slowly rots away the metal.

Also my car was imported at 6mths old but the dealer never undersealed it and the previous owner didn't think to do this himself. French cars have good underseal and if the Evo was done as good as a french car, it'd still be mint. It's 10 years old now
yeah fair enough. mud would make a mess of the thing! i guess you are fighting a losing battle after the first owner :rolleyes:
 

· Registered
Joined
·
370 Posts
I'm noticeing that almost all of the people who have said that they garage their cars and only bring them out on sunny days seem to own E6's? Is there something about owning a 6 which turns you into a polish freak? :crackup:

Mine lives outside, hasn't seen a wash since errrrrrr sometime last year and is loving my local (middle of nowhere) roads which may as well be a muddy forrest stage :D

although i did spend a whole day underneath it last summer coating on several layers of underseal ;)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
131 Posts
gordon7987 said:
Just wondered how many people use their EVOs through the winter, and how many tuck them away safely until the better weather?
If you don't use it during the winter you miss the best thing (IMO) about having an EVO.

That is taking it out at 10pm or 6am on a cold day when the air is damp and the road is dry.

Perfect conditions for a good blast.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,953 Posts
I think it all comes back to your childhood, i was always taught to cherish anything that cost alot of money, and i have always done that.


We all know the kid who used to get off his BMX before it had even stopped moving and then proceeded to let it slide along the ground on its own, to me running an Evo through the winter is about as good for the finish on it as that was for the paint on the BMX :D


I was looking at my car the other day, and noticed that one of the braided hoses that i disconnected and put in a plastic bag whilst i jet washed the car off in november had water inside it when it was supposed to be water tight. :eek: I removed the bag and the hose's union has started to corrode, all apart from one part that had pvc tape wrapped around it. I'll take a photo of it and post it tomorrow, and thats the damage that pure water does, without any salt helping it along, certainly food for thought.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
16,322 Posts
Tuffty said:
Mine hasn't seen a wash since errrrrrr sometime last year
Same as mine - however that was only 7 days ago :)

Bought my lass a cheap car about 6 weeks ago, so the evo is no longer a daily driver, just my weekend toy.

Due to the amount of money i've spent on the **** in December I doubt it will come out much in January :(

However it will come out if / when snow arrives. :D
 

· Premium Member
Joined
·
10,444 Posts
as much as possible, its my 2nd car but i still get 800 mile amonth out of it, were i live is only 33x13 miles big so its not to bad,try to clean it a least every 2 weeks in the winter. :)
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,311 Posts
RichW said:
I think it all comes back to your childhood, i was always taught to cherish anything that cost alot of money, and i have always done that.

We all know the kid who used to get off his BMX before it had even stopped moving and then proceeded to let it slide along the ground on its own, to me running an Evo through the winter is about as good for the finish on it as that was for the paint on the BMX :D

I was looking at my car the other day, and noticed that one of the braided hoses that i disconnected and put in a plastic bag whilst i jet washed the car off in november had water inside it when it was supposed to be water tight. :eek: I removed the bag and the hose's union has started to corrode, all apart from one part that had pvc tape wrapped around it. I'll take a photo of it and post it tomorrow, and thats the damage that pure water does, without any salt helping it along, certainly food for thought.
Spooky m8 , u sound just like me !!! LOL !!!

I was taught to appreciate and care for my own stuff & respect other peoples property , we're a dying breed !!!

I'd b the same even if I had squillions of quids !!
 

· Twincharged
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
This is what happens to HKS Hiper 'D's and top mounts after one winter of daily use :eek:
 

Attachments

· Twincharged
Joined
·
4,556 Posts
Another
 

Attachments

· Registered
Joined
·
720 Posts
Anything that you are proud of should be cherished,And I,m proud of my EVO.The problem with just washing a car is that it does,nt get into all the places that the Road salt is Flung by your wheels i.e up by the filler neck pipe.I,m not going to let my Local Council ruin my pride and joy by using Tons of Road Salt,When 90% of the time we don,t need it
 

· Registered
Joined
·
1,938 Posts
I do about 4k a year in mine, it is a second car but i will drive it what ever the weather is doing. I would like to and can put the car away for the winter but i have never really been into cleaning waxing ect so i just drive the dam thing.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
i do agree. i was bought up to cherish things that cost money because my parents didn't have much money at the time, so my bmx was my pride and joy :)

and i do cherish my evo. just you're missing out on some of the best driving conditions for the thing by leaving it in the garage! they've hardly salted the roads this winter as it hasn't been that cold so far. just water on it's own won't do much to the bodywork as it has many layers of paint on and galvanised bits to prevent corrosion, so it's not really the same as a hose union left on it's own.
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
17,953 Posts
MikeBee said:
they've hardly salted the roads this winter as it hasn't been that cold so far. just water on it's own won't do much to the bodywork as it has many layers of paint on and galvanised bits to prevent corrosion, so it's not really the same as a hose union left on it's own.
Well my Peugeot 206 is black with salt, and FYI there are no galvanised parts on an Evo. Take alook at things like radiator brackets, wiper motors, all the nuts and bolts under the bonnet and such like, even after one month of driving in winter conditions they will have started to corrode and make the car look tired. I see under the bonnets of alot of cars at shows, and it amazes me how many people spend *alot* of money on hoses and shiny catch tanks to then allow the rest of the brackets and ancillaries to stay there all crappy looking through winter use.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
581 Posts
RichW said:
Well my Peugeot 206 is black with salt, and FYI there are no galvanised parts on an Evo. Take alook at things like radiator brackets, wiper motors, all the nuts and bolts under the bonnet and such like, even after one month of driving in winter conditions they will have started to corrode and make the car look tired. I see under the bonnets of alot of cars at shows, and it amazes me how many people spend *alot* of money on hoses and shiny catch tanks to then allow the rest of the brackets and ancillaries to stay there all crappy looking through winter use.
yeah fair enough. i had heard that all bodywork these days is galvanised for protection. obviously wrong. i guess it doesn't rain as much in japan.

at the minute the corrosion on my 3 isn't too bad. certainly very good for a 12 year old car. will see how it fares :)

agree with the peugeots though. my 106s (I've had 4) always had really good bodywork despite surviving through many uk winters.
 

· Registered
Joined
·
838 Posts
Tuffty said:
I'm noticeing that almost all of the people who have said that they garage their cars and only bring them out on sunny days seem to own E6's? Is there something about owning a 6 which turns you into a polish freak? :crackup:

Well, it was the best Evo that they have made and probably will ever make........that's why there's so many people are preserving them, not me, I enjoy driving it too much though!!

And anyone willing to argue that the Evo 6 isn't the best Evo available, my only reply is this................How many WRC stages did your model win?? And how many drivers championships did your model win???? :moon:

Oh yeah, let's not forget that they only did a true Special Edition model on the Evo 6.........The Tommi Mak :D :D :D

It's not as if they didn't have good drivers after Tommi left, they just didn't have the Evo 6 anymore :moon: :moon: :moon:

Oh well, I'll take cover now............... :flame:
 
61 - 80 of 81 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top