Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
Here we go again....

... mines garaged, its the only way to keep the car looking fresh; first time they see salt the alloy starts corroding, the metalwork dulls off and they look very tired very fast, i guess it depends on how keen an eye you have, and how long you plan to keep the car :)

· Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
I think it all comes back to your childhood, i was always taught to cherish anything that cost alot of money, and i have always done that.

We all know the kid who used to get off his BMX before it had even stopped moving and then proceeded to let it slide along the ground on its own, to me running an Evo through the winter is about as good for the finish on it as that was for the paint on the BMX :D

I was looking at my car the other day, and noticed that one of the braided hoses that i disconnected and put in a plastic bag whilst i jet washed the car off in november had water inside it when it was supposed to be water tight. :eek: I removed the bag and the hose's union has started to corrode, all apart from one part that had pvc tape wrapped around it. I'll take a photo of it and post it tomorrow, and thats the damage that pure water does, without any salt helping it along, certainly food for thought.

· Super Moderator
17,953 Posts
MikeBee said:
they've hardly salted the roads this winter as it hasn't been that cold so far. just water on it's own won't do much to the bodywork as it has many layers of paint on and galvanised bits to prevent corrosion, so it's not really the same as a hose union left on it's own.
Well my Peugeot 206 is black with salt, and FYI there are no galvanised parts on an Evo. Take alook at things like radiator brackets, wiper motors, all the nuts and bolts under the bonnet and such like, even after one month of driving in winter conditions they will have started to corrode and make the car look tired. I see under the bonnets of alot of cars at shows, and it amazes me how many people spend *alot* of money on hoses and shiny catch tanks to then allow the rest of the brackets and ancillaries to stay there all crappy looking through winter use.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.