Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
picked up evo VI yesterday never drove one before very impressed but.... seems to crunch into gear not all the time tho is this a characteristic off the car or do I have a problem?

plus when ticking over do they all sound a bit tappy?

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
Keets , chuck in some lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer mate it stops the tappety sounds!!!

Mine crunches sometimes when hitting 5th gear from 4th,not all the time .

cheers
Liam :D

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok mate will do [email protected] myself when I heard the tapping this morning thought id bought a dog!

concerned about the gear changes tho seems to do it a lot in fourth???

·
Registered
18,323 Posts
Im not mechanic but maybe your synchromesh is on the way out ,thats what i was told,but its been doing it on and off for 6 months,no worse no better :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
fq400duran said:
well tappy mate

dont worry there all same ;)

jason
Ive not had experience of a lot of VI's but both mine and my mates are totally tap free so I can say for sure that they arent 'all the same'. Theres a great article in the technical archive on cleaning lash adjusters, you should give that a go if good quality new all doesnt cure it m8.

Can't offer much help on the gearbox but I would get it checked out if I was you just to be sure that whatever it is isnt going to get any worse/more expensive by continuing to use it.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
my dads 205gti syncromesh went.
doest do it all the time tho so not sure what it is

·
Registered
4,787 Posts
Gearboxes are notchy when cold, are you giving it chance to warm up before thrashing it :confused: fourth is usually the worst one, just change gear slower and more precisely ;)

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
try changing the oil in the gear box. this can help an amazing amount and is easy to do. i always use castrol syntrax.

if the clutch is worn and wont disenage fully this will also give crunchy gear cahnges although usually when you first start off when the gear box is cold.

NR autosport are very good on gearboxes.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just been back in it and only does it in fourth when giving it a bit of stick?anybody else heard of this problem?

·
Registered
328 Posts
syncro

Hi

yes it defiantly your Synco in 4th the part is cheap but it the opening of the gear box and the rebuild will cost you.

If you can live with it ... All you need to do is let the revs drop before you engage the 4th gear.

It will get gradually worse though

Cheers

1 - 16 of 16 Posts