Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Before anyone says anything I havent come here to start a row (edited because I forgot to say being a 22B owner ). I am a genuine evo appreciator who has convinced his friend to buy an evo 6 gsr.

What he has found in four days of ownership is that thelights are sub standard and he wants to do something to improve it. I am sure this would have been covered before but I cannot find anything.

He has spoken with ralliart who only have a fog light package and a headlamp bulb upgrade.

The bulbs have been changed but since teh previous owner installed separate wiring and switchgear for some fog light aperture mounted driving lights (now removed) I ws hoping someone might have some suggestions on a kit.

Adam (Hi Sam)

Is there an HID pencil beamed spot light available that will fit in this aperture? I recommended HID to him as I found it gives vastly improved visibility over a wide beam halogen fog light or even driving light.

Is there an all singing all dancing kit available with brackets etc included?

Many thanks for your help on this one.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Yep , the ultimate upgrade is the Cibie HID full replacement headlight system , around £1500 2 u sir ! :(
Or u cud try 1 of the HID replacement bulb kits at around £500 , this just converts yr existing lamp units 2 HID bulbs , but , I think it's HID on dip beam only , due 2 the strike up time on HID bulbs .

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Who makes the bulb replacement systems ?

Anybody got them and what do they think ?

Any info on the web to take a gander at ?

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I too am getting ####ed off with the headlights (on dip mostly, full beam is just about OK but still naff). I saw the PIAA HID replacement bulbs in Demon Tweaks catalogue (£800 gulp!) but wondered about their legality?
What is the legal situation in general HID wise?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Seem 2 recall Phillips and Regal as suppliers names , will check some more.

H,
Why wud u think a legal problem ?

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Evoboy - r u saying that Cibie make headlight units 2 fit Evo? If so, must have. Evo lites r c**p!

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Yes - an age old problem. I'm currently running PIAA Platinum White bulbs that draw 80w/80w but put out 150w/150w. Like HH6 says it's not main beam that's the issue, it's the dipped that's the problem. When hurtling along at night with oncoming traffic when it's wet they're just not good enough. I'm not aware of anyone that does replacement light units for 'normal' bulbs - like Evoboy says, Cibie do a total replacement HID unit. There are other companies that do HID bulb units - Bellof and some others. I think this link should take you to Takakaira with some more info - Takakaira lights.

The bellof units are available from Ca-automotive in the UK and are also available with a main beam I think. Would be cheaper from Takakaira though i think.

Kevin.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Co-ordsport can supply those Cibie units or cud the last time I checked.

Evilution has mentioned the name I tried 2 recall , CA auto , 4 the Bellof HID conversions.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
HH6 and amp; Evilution

Right on - dip is the problem on wet nights.

It used to be possible for MSA licence holders to get Cibie stuff at 50% off. I'll check on this 2morrow.

I used to hold int rally, but reduced it to national cos of cost. Think this level might be good enough for the discount. Will post if successful.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Evoboy,
Just wondering about the legality as the early imported E7's had trouble with their headlights being illegal and I think they were HID (possible not though, my memory is a bit vague on it).

Are Cibie units a complete replacement of the headlight? I also seem to remember seeing something about Ralliart supplying them (on a demo car at Autosport show?).

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
H,
The Cibie conversion r complete new replacement headlamp's , twin lamps per side .
The Ralliart lamps u reffered 2 were replacement light units 2 , but not HID and required slight mods 2 the front wings 2 fit , they looked tacky 2 me.
The Cibies were actually illustrated in an official Ralliart TM accessorie brochure , very nice indeed , worth the money but very expensive.

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all for the replies.

My impreza suffers from the same problem.

I dont think my evo friend is prepared to pay the £890 that CA are asking for the HIDS but I have found a company in canada that will sell them for $1000. Thanks to your information I am thinking of going that way myself. I jsut have to decide which is the best spent money, HIDs, Sat nav or a pectel ecu?

Either way, your advice has solved an age old problem for me and it is much appreciated. Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
A cheaper alternative solution might be to buy a case of Prices Candles :D

Actually the lights on my E6 are no beter or worse then I've had on any other car.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
The dip lights on my Evo are the worst I have ever experienced on any car,except for one the Morris 1000.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I have recently purchased another EVO VI which already has the headlight bulbs replaced. They are a vast improvement over the headlights in my black EVO VI I used to own.

These bulbs were installed by the previous owner. The information below is taken straight from his web site.

www.jerryflint.co.uk

PIAA Plasma Blue H4 ordered from Demon Tweeks. H4 bulb produces 135/115W - these are straight replacement. Access to change the bulbs is from behind the light housing using a bayonet fitment.

I would recommend the upgrade to anyone. Sorry I dont know the price of the bulbs.

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
I bought some direct replacement bulbs from Halfords. Their own brand, I think they're called superwhite , or something. £11.95 each. Much better. Although, i find it's the sharp cut off of light that's the main prob with oncoming traffic.

For £24 it's worth a try and they are better and still 55/60w!

P

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Used to use fancy PIAA super something bulbs which were a vast imporvement over std bulbs in our rally car..........the we swapped to full HID system........which is totally amazing ....... as near to day light as you can get

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Has anyone actually used the Bellof HID replacement?

I rang ca automotive and they want £890 even with an SIDC discount. Have checked a canadian site and they will sell them for $1000US, which is closer to the £600 mark, why I and my evo friend migth be willign to consider.

The thing is, I am told teh reason for our collective japanese super saloons lighting being so rubbish is because the weight saving plastic reflectors are not up to the job. So improving the light source is not necessarily going to make everything great. I am wondering if anyone on this site has fitted the twin beam or even just the dip beam bellof HID bulbs and can comment on the improvements they have experienced.

I have already fitted 130/90 H4 halfords bulbs and my friend has 110/80 in the evo6. These have made an improvement but as to whether the £600 will be a furtehr improvement which justifies the money, I dont know.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
I also have the Halfords jobbies (fitted by the previous owner) but even so the dipped beam is inadequate. By the way I seem to remember that AutoExpress did a test on the 'improved' brightness type bulbs (PIAA, Halfords etc.) and PIAA didn't do very well :(. I think the Halfords one came out near the top, I can't remember what ones came top.

I have also heard that the design of the headlamp is particially to blame for the poor lighting and thats why Ralliart produced whole new units (for a price).
So how much are the Cibie jobs roughly?

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
The Cibie units used to be listed as over £2K from Ralliart. The price on Takakaira converts to @£1400 before shipping, tax, etc. Would need to check the indicator housing as that was the problem with the replacement units Ralliart made - they weren't legal for the UK, something to do with the indicators. The car at the show was destined for Poland - no problems there!

Kevin.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts