Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently considering ways to improve the headlights on my Evo6, as I'm fed up with not being able to see anything. My previous motor was an Audi TT with Xenon Gas Discharge headlamps, and I just can't get to grips with how poor the Evo is in comparison.

Currently, I'm considering the following options:

1) Go for some 60W/55 'Xenon' bulbs, that supposedly increase light output by about 30%. I've heard that the Philips ones are the best, and this seems to be back up by a recent AutoExpress test.

2) Go for some 100W/90s that my local Rally prep outfit uses. These bulbs are fully E-marked, so theoretically legal. My only questions here are whether the loom can handle the extra current drain, and whether the reflectors will be stand up to the extra heat. Also, there is the issue of legality.

3) Go for some driving lamps from Ralliart, along with the 60W/55 Xenon bulbs. More expensive, but would it be worth it?

I'd like to hear peoples opinions.

Thanks,

Andy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Regal auto sport in southhampton sell a HID kit for around £500 Including bulbs power pack loom etc. i find the tel number if u are intrusted?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should have done a search first. This topic has been discussed at length before.

I guess I will have to give the 100W/90's a miss, and go for some Philips Xenon jobbies. That way I get to stay legal, and it won't cost a fortune.

As for a HID conversion, I can't really justify the cost, as it's a company car. Thanks for letting me know it exists, I've Got One.

Andy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if they are quiet expensive,I would go for a set of PIAA super white or plasma blue(xenon colour).They exist in either 55/60w(legal) or 80/80w.
Anyway they also claim to be 30% more powerful than standards at the same w.
They are probably the best quality bulbs that you can have.

Also if you don't have them already,you can fit the PIAA evo vi spot kit,those are expensive too but are used by many rally teams when not fitting the big 4 lights support,and they say that they are much better than others!

If you don't want to spend the mony for the PIAA kit try to find another brand that makes good size spots for the evo vi bumper in a rally team.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PIAA makes a HID kit for 98 000 yen for the Evos. It includes everything that needs to be upgraded so it must be pretty safe!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
130/100 work well
have you ever been pulled over for a brightness test ?????
its dip you need more than main

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The advatage you get by fitting a relay kit is about the same as you get by fitting bigger wattage bulbs because of the length and size of wire in the o.e. loom. For maximum effect you have to do both.
email [email protected]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
if u fit higher power bulbs u will need arelay kit to stop the original wiring melting
You can get a headlight relay kit from most auto electical workshops
tell me how u got on

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, can't believe how pitiful the stock bulbs were on my Evo5. Just changed over to 100W units (with an appropriate wiring harness), and am much happier.

I'd recommend against getting Plasma White or Blue bulbs however. While I haven't tried them out personally, people I know who have them say that you are almost blind when it rains hard (which it does a lot, here in the Philippines!) As I understand it, something about the wavelength of the blue/white bulbs makes them ineffective in bad weather. I've been told by some rally guys that gold works best, which is why I've fitted those (but have yet to try the car in pouring rain).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Hesperus for posting your experiences. I have been toying with using hotter bulbs myself but thought that the foil on plastic nonsense that Mitsubishi fitted would melt.

Have you kept your stock PIAA fogs? I replaced mine with their driving light set. They fitted perfectly and have not melted the harness with the fitted 120W bulbs. Needed to fiddle with the aiming so as not to weld retina http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle > but now I can see!

Autosupermart sell just the replacement lens that fits perfectly (38202). With bulbs the bill came to about 150 US plus shipping.

[URL]http://www.autosupermart.com/shopcart/solaris.html[/URL]

Use the PIAA link to find 80 PRO XT

1 - 12 of 12 Posts