Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone

Just wondering what would be a good discs and pad setup on my standard brembos on my evo 6 ?
Going to nurburgring in july and wanna get some ideas on what togo for !

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
7,809 Posts
From what i've read girodiscs and carbotech 8's or 10's and good fluid.
Not cheap though.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Discs wise depends on budget but for road and a ring trip anything half decent will do the job ok, more you spend longer they should last though and Giro or PF 2 piece are the best probably.

Pads wise this along with fluid is where the performance can be changed massivley, all depends what sort of road usage you do and what sort of compromises you can make, in a Evo driven hard on road its needs a track type pad to cope and something like our XP8 works well for this, downsides are like most track type pads they are quite dusty and can get a bit squeaky if you do a lot of slow/town driving etc, you can of course get a more street suitable pads which are sometimes quieter and less dust, but then you dont get the performance so all depends what you want really and sort of usage and spec of car etc.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey everyone

Just wondering what would be a good discs and pad setup on my standard brembos on my evo 6 ?
Going to nurburgring in july and wanna get some ideas on what togo for !

Many thanks
Hey Clarky Boy,

Good choice with the Ring, you'll have a mega time! :mhihi:

One of our sales engineers lives 5 minutes from the ring, so we spend a lot of time there. The ring isn't a particularly hard circuit on brakes, but it's a long way to travel and not get the full benefit. Your overall choice will vary depending on your cars performance, driving style and budget.

Happy to discuss further if required :)

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Do you really need two piece discs on road/light track work? I only ask as I've had three sets of discs and pads now and they all end up with judder, wondering if two piece could solve it?

First set was Pagid plain discs and cheap road pads, brake judder on road use after correct bed in and road use only.

Second set Godspeed grooved discs and PF Z rated pads, judder after correct bedding in and one track day.

Third set same as first with same results after approx 5000 road miles.

Bearings, hubs and caliper mounts checked okay, calipers professionally rebuilt. Sorry to hijack thread but thinking it may be down to poor pad choices for use?

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
Do you really need two piece discs on road/light track work? I only ask as I've had three sets of discs and pads now and they all end up with judder, wondering if two piece could solve it?

First set was Pagid plain discs and cheap road pads, brake judder on road use after correct bed in and road use only.

Second set Godspeed grooved discs and PF Z rated pads, judder after correct bedding in and one track day.

Bearings, hubs and caliper mounts checked okay, calipers professionally rebuilt. Sorry to hijack thread but thinking it may be down to poor pad choices for use?
Your problem is more likely the pads causing deposits on discs which is felt as judder, 2 piece discs wont help it thats the case, also to answer your question are not really needed by most on a road car (but do look nice :)) or light track but if car is driven very hard with aggressive pads then the improved thermal characteristics are a benefit as well as improved durabilty if a high quality material like on the PF discs. Track use of course 2piece come into there own but even so a good 1piece disc can handle a fair amount!

What sort of usage does your car get and what state of tune etc ?

Ian

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Well when I had my brembo calipers refurbished on the VI last year. I spoke to Ian Godney (Godspeed Brakes) He did me a great deal on a set of one-piece front and rear g-hook design discs and all around Performance Friction 11.Z-Rated pads. So far for road use and light track work they have been perfect. No squealing on the road, etc.

You need to drive them about normally for 300 miles to get the pad material to chemically cure with the discs then go and give them a good burnishing 70-20 then cool down. Good to go. As a compromise they are great. You may find the first big stop will need a second harder press as they can fade, but after that, spot on.

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/brake-packages/301-evo-5-9-fr-g-hook-discs-and-pf-z-rated-pads-.html

Ian Godney also recommended Carbon Lorraine for track work, but you may need some ceratec paste to stop them squealing on road applications.

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/brake-packages/266-evo-5-9-fr-6-groove-discs-and-cl-rc5-pads-.html

My VI is running pretty standard 300hp by the way. I had a good chat to Ian and trust him as he fits these to his rally cars, etc. Bloke really knows his brakes.

Hope this helps :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts

99% certain it will be pad material/deposits on the discs, not warped discs. I guess you tried really kicking the pads in then cooling them down without stopping to see if it helped?

·
Premium Member
824 Posts
I've got the same set up as V1shooter and no complaints but I only managed about 500 miles on them before car came off the road

·
Premium Member
1,537 Posts
Your problem is more likely the pads causing deposits on discs which is felt as judder, 2 piece discs wont help it thats the case, also to answer your question are not really needed by most on a road car (but do look nice :)) or light track but if car is driven very hard with aggressive pads then the improved thermal characteristics are a benefit as well as improved durabilty if a high quality material like on the PF discs. Track use of course 2piece come into there own but even so a good 1piece disc can handle a fair amount!

What sort of usage does your car get and what state of tune etc ?

Ian
400/400 tune but reality is it's driven like a normal car, I never drive it in anger so to speak at all. Does also sit around for long periods of time.

·
Premium Member
16,914 Posts
400/400 tune but reality is it's driven like a normal car, I never drive it in anger so to speak at all. Does also sit around for long periods of time.
The PF Z.11 pads should be ok for that then, although above you say never drive in anger but I notice you mentioned problem started after a trackday on 2nd set ? in my expereince this is when the PF Z.11 pads can struggle if pushed hard as depending on driving technique the temperatures on track can push them over ideal working temps which leads to pad deposits and judder, usually ok on road though so all depends what you class a normal use I guess.

One other thing you say calipers were refurbed but were they FULLY stripped and blasted etc ? or just basic clean up and then painted ? reason I ask is we see a lot of issues where pads are tight in caliper due to the famous corrosion behind the small stainless pad slider plates pushing them out and stopping pads floating, if pads cant float they rub on discs all time and overheat causing judder problems, I would be getting wheel off and taking pads out to check they are nice and free to float in caliper as first step.

If calipers are all good then a pad change maybe the answer, our Carbotech Bobcat pads could be an option and make a very good low noise/low dust road pad with nice bite and performance, however they are not really suited to trackday use or repeated very hard road use although they can take quite a bit, for that we have AX and XP compounds but of course extra dust and possible noise with those so not ideal for many. I personally think XP8 is best compound for road/fastroad/occasional trackday Evo but the dust and noise can be an issue if car gets driven gently a lot.

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,

Referring to the Tyrants post above, we have seen this in certain cases when elevated temperatures are reached. Depending on your driving style and usage it will depend on the correct compound decision. Z-rated 1001.11 from PFC is our fast road/ track day pad. The Z-rated was designed for occasional track day use. The Z-rated features multi-layer technology, each layer reduces brake noise by absorbing specific ranges of sound frequencies, solely designed for increased performance over an OE and with good road manners, ie low noise and reduced dust.

I use the Z-rated every day in my road car, will never hit the performance threshold. If I started to do regular track days, I would then upgrade to 08 or 01 compound.

From the explanation, you have given above. You might not drive in anger, but by the sounds of it, you are generating high system temperatures. If you are finding the limit with Z-rated you would want to look at something like the 08 compound or 01 compound, which will tolerate the higher temperature along with providing increased performance. These are race compounds, so like the XP8, you can get a bit of noise when cold and increased dust over the Z-Rate pad.

We are happy to advise on the correct compounds for usage. It’s important to choose the correct compound to suit your requirements.

Thank you,

PFC Brakes Europe

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
There really isn't a pad you can use on track which is quiet and has no dust on the road, such a pad doesn't exist. If you drive hard on track and also use the car on the road with the same pads, don't get a road pad. If you do, you'll just leave deposits all over the discs and end up thinking they are warped and changing them, just wasting your money.

I am running Pagid RS29 on my DC5 in larger calipers/discs and they are really, really good. Less noise than XP10's I ran in my IX however the same performance. XP10 gave great performance but must be some of the noisiest pads I've ever used. I'm not saying RS29 are silent but they are very quiet compared to the XP10.

Saying that, DC5 and Evo IX are very different cars with different caliper/discs and I don't know if it's fair to compare noise levels? Just posting my experience.

End of the day there's loads of high performance pads that will do the job, PF, CL, Carbotech, Pagid, Hawk etc etc.

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Hello,

Referring to the Tyrants post above, we have seen this in certain cases when elevated temperatures are reached. Depending on your driving style and usage it will depend on the correct compound decision. Z-rated 1001.11 from PFC is our fast road/ track day pad. The Z-rated was designed for occasional track day use. The Z-rated features multi-layer technology, each layer reduces brake noise by absorbing specific ranges of sound frequencies, solely designed for increased performance over an OE and with good road manners, ie low noise and reduced dust.

I use the Z-rated every day in my road car, will never hit the performance threshold. If I started to do regular track days, I would then upgrade to 08 or 01 compound.

From the explanation, you have given above. You might not drive in anger, but by the sounds of it, you are generating high system temperatures. If you are finding the limit with Z-rated you would want to look at something like the 08 compound or 01 compound, which will tolerate the higher temperature along with providing increased performance. These are race compounds, so like the XP8, you can get a bit of noise when cold and increased dust over the Z-Rate pad.

We are happy to advise on the correct compounds for usage. It's important to choose the correct compound to suit your requirements.

Thank you,

PFC Brakes Europe
Reading this has confirmed (and having them fitted and actually using them) that I have the correct pads fitted to my car for my use. Thanks for that useful info. :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Discs wise depends on budget but for road and a ring trip anything half decent will do the job ok, more you spend longer they should last though and Giro or PF 2 piece are the best probably.

Pads wise this along with fluid is where the performance can be changed massivley, all depends what sort of road usage you do and what sort of compromises you can make, in a Evo driven hard on road its needs a track type pad to cope and something like our XP8 works well for this, downsides are like most track type pads they are quite dusty and can get a bit squeaky if you do a lot of slow/town driving etc, you can of course get a more street suitable pads which are sometimes quieter and less dust, but then you dont get the performance so all depends what you want really and sort of usage and spec of car etc.

Cheers
Ian
Looking at going for godspeed g hook 2 piece discs with carbotech xp8 for the fronts

Godspeed g hook and carbotech xp8 for the rears

Gunna change the brake fluid to dot 5.1

Got some tarox braided hoses to fit at same time so gunna be a busy day
Just need to get a good price on the pads etc then shall order them in few months before i go to nurburgring in july so i can bed them in right

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Looking at going for godspeed g hook 2 piece discs with carbotech xp8 for the fronts

Godspeed g hook and carbotech xp8 for the rears

Gunna change the brake fluid to dot 5.1

Got some tarox braided hoses to fit at same time so gunna be a busy day
Just need to get a good price on the pads etc then shall order them in few months before i go to nurburgring in july so i can bed them in right
I hope you spoke to Ian Godney as he does a complete kit of all the above stuff you list for just £700. The CL pads will suit your track work see the photo:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I hope you spoke to Ian Godney as he does a complete kit of all the above stuff you list for just £700. The CL pads will suit your track work see the photo:
Only thing is I don't need braided hoses as already got a set of tarox braided hoses!

Would those pads be okay for the ring though ?
Has he got a post on here that I could comment on or contact him directly ?

·
Premium Member
Regional Organiser
6,843 Posts
Only thing is I don't need braided hoses as already got a set of tarox braided hoses!

Would those pads be okay for the ring though ?
Has he got a post on here that I could comment on or contact him directly ?
If you were a full member you would be able to PM him :handsup:

Also not being funny for that package price you could afford to sell on a set of brake lines :smthumbup

The CL pads are more suited to track/competition than road, you may need ceratec paste to stop the squealing if you dont hammer them to be honest. As been said before you cannot get brakes that do it ALL! Or Suspension, or tyres, etc. Everything is compromise.

I have the PF pads - excellent for road and a few short track sessions.

Just phone Ian Godney otherwise - contact on his website. He does actually compete using his stuff so you know he is genuine.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts