Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I'm pretty certain that my recently purchased E2 is not undersealed, as I can hear all stones and bits of gravel flicking up underneath it while driving.
Can anyone tell me how important it is for me to get the car undersealed and, if important, roughly how much I would expect to pay.

Cheers.
Shaun.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My E6 sounds like I am doing a rally stage every time I go over stones.It has definatly been undersealed aswell.
The underseal is there to stop the underside of the car rotting quickly in the crap weather over here.It is best to get it done,I think it is about £200.I also thought it had to be undersealed to pass the SVA test when it was imported.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you don't need it undersealed to pass the SVA as far as I know. The SVA is a safety test just like a glorified MOT and they are not worried how quickly your car rots!
My E6 has been Undersealed although it never works like enough but that is common with all Evo's I have seen.
I have noticed some serious potential rust traps on the E6 (I have owned several classic motors so I know all about rust!) and they need treating to stop the dreaded tin worm getting a hold. Come the warmer weather I shall arm myself up with Underseal and Waxoyl and start treating. Perhaps I will write an article for the club mag showing the potential trouble spots and how to deal with them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HH6 i think making an article for the mag is a great idea ,im intrusted to see where my car needs protecting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 6 wasn't undersealed when I got it, and the local mitsi garage picked this up at its 4500 mile service. they wanted £100 to do the work. Did it myself on my mates ramp with a Schultz gun and 4 cans of underseal. Cost about £20 and took about 30 mins. Also get piece of mind that everwhere is covered properly including the insides of the chasis rails etc.

Adrian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good for you Adrian!
I get ####ed off with £60/hour labour charge, anybody would think I had a Merc or something!
I try to do as much as I can myself, having restored and looked after a classic car or two means I know enough to do most jobs although engine internals and gearbox are a bit beyond me, anything else though and I'm game for it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only problem with Waxoyl is that you really need to do it about twice a year. But whats a couple of hours for piece of mind. Its easy to do, so long as you can jack the car up high enough http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Best with a compressor as you can really get it into all the rust hot spots. Especially the rear suspension leading arm mounts

TonyC

1 - 7 of 7 Posts