Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got a strange vibration running along the whole length of my exhaust :confused: Had the exhaust check by two exhaust companies and seems to be starting at engine end. I have a brand new down pipe, a de-cat and HKS cat back muffler exhaust(all fitted 2 months ago) and std turbo outlet. Was making the noise with the old exhaust aswell. The exhaust place checked everything and cant find nothing :( If i rev the car above 5000rpm it vibrates like mad and if im driving the car it vibrates harder the more revs i do :confused: any ideas please :(

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Two things Ben. There is a crossmember at the front of the engine, make sure it isnt't touching the frontpipe or even looks close to touching, mine was and vibrated like hell.

The other thing will be the prop out of balance, mines being done next week ;)

·
Premium Member
16,922 Posts
If it does it while stationary then its not the prop or any thing to do with the drivetrain :eek:...most likely the exhuast catching on something but get it checked asap....could be your balance belt gone but i hope not ?

Prop problems are speed related rather than revs related if you see what i mean ?

Cheers
Ian

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
have you had the cam belt changed?

if so then the balancer shaft may be out...!

The timing mark on the oil pump sprocket can line up perfectly with the shaft still out of time.

To check it you set the number 1 piston to top dead centre on the compression stroke, then remove a bolt located at the back of the block and insert a screwdriver into the hole. If it can only go in about an inch, the balance shaft is out of time. If it goes in about 2" the balance shaft is correctly timed.

check that

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all your replies :D

Cant be the prop shaft as the car does it out of gear at high revs, had all my belts changed and was doing it before that and also watched them do all the timing for future reference. Balance shaft belt is still how it should be.
The exhaust place checked the exhaust all over while i was reving the car and was not touching anything. The down pipe is brand new but still did it with the old std one.
Will check the cross member and see how much gap there is between the front pipe but like i say the exhaust bloke was under it whilst reving and never found it. He said it seems to carry the vibration along the whole exhaust. And will also check the cross member for the gap between that and the gearbox. Really am hoping i can find this as its starting to get on my wick :(
I think i will end up having to take it some where :(

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
evo3ben said:
had all my belts changed and was doing it before that and also watched them do all the timing for future reference. Balance shaft belt is still how it should be.
when you say its as it should be, do you mean they just took belt off and refitted in the same place, or they actually checked it was right? reason being, it can 'look' right but in fact be 180 degrees out of phase and cause a vibration........

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I watched him do all the belts and the only thing he done with the balance shaft and he checked the two scores where pointing at each other. So yes the old one was taken off and the new one put on. How can u tell its out 180 degrees? (apart from vibration)

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
the correct way is to line all te marks up, remove a bolt from the block (at the rear in your case) located in line with the balancer, insert a screwdriver and if you hit the balancer shaft within about 20 cm then its wrong, if the screwdriver goes in further then its correct

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mmmmmmm. Think im gonna have to get this checked :( before i try anything else.
Gonna sound thick here :rolleyes: the balance shaft belt goes around the two pulleys at the top so when you mean 180 deg out which shaft is it?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
you have the timing belt driving the 2 pulleys at the top which are the cam pulleys, the oil pump pulley (which drives the balancer shaft at the rear on yours). the front balancer is driven by the small balancer belt.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
God im stupid :rolleyes: Why i was thinking what i was i dont know :rolleyes: :crackup: So.... I need to line up the two cam shaft pulleys (turn the car over quickly till the scores are in line. Remove the bolt at the back of my engine (evo 3) that is in line with theb balance shaft, stick a screw driver in it and check. If its wrong then take the belt off and rotate the balance shaft pulley 180 deg. Am i right??? Much appreciated all this help Rich :D

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.