Lancer Register Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
mate, that sound bloody lovely, any chance you could whip up a box of that for the 11th.:)

lee

G

·
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Bloody hell! Its warranty time again.

Well, rather than go into that, I need to correct one thing. If you buy a car from Ralliart, or it is one of the official cars brought in by CCC or Ralliart, then it has the cold weather pack . I am fairly certain that the spec includes a bigger and better battery, uprated alternator and undersealing. I don't know if there is anything else.

In addition to the cold weather pack and warranty, there is also the fact that the work needed to make it street leagl in the UK is done properly. We have all heard of horror stories about cowboy importers.

Another thing that you will often find with an official car is that the servicing is usually done at the right intervals etc. That is not to suggest that others don't service their cars when they should. I am sure that all who contribute here do service properly. However, with no warranty to keep valid, others may not be so careful.

In conclusion, look for a car with FSH. If you want to modify it, go on price which probably means a grey car. If all you want is standard or allowed by the CCC/Ralliart warranty, it could well be worth paying up a bit for an official car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Just to put the record straight on the 'Cold Climate pack' or 'Cold Zone Specification' as it is called.

For the Evo 4 it includes:
Weather strip silicone coating
Uprated Starter Motor
Uprated Alternator (120A)
Throttle knob (?)
Uprated battery
Wiper circuit breaker
Heavy-duty heater
Rear seat heater duct
Cold zone specification label
Electrically rectractable door mirrors with printed heating wires

For the Evo's 5-TME it includes:
Weather strip silicone coating
Uprated battery (55B20L)
Wiper circuit breaker
Heavy-duty heater
Rear seat heater duct
Cold zone specification label
Electrically rectractable door mirrors with printed heating wires

I have no info on the E7 but I expect it to be the same as the E6.

From the Evo 5 onwards the alternator is not uprated in the Cold Zone Specification pack and remains the same on all models.

Back to the question in hand, quoting from my FAQ's I am compiling for this site:

Q: Should I buy a grey import or UK car? (What are the differences?)
A: Just to confuse matters currently all Evolutions are in fact grey imports. There is no European Type Approval for any Evolution model therefore all models are grey imports and have to undergo Single Vehicle Approval or SVA upon entering the EU (unless via Eire but that's another story!). This situation may change at a later date though. The real question should be 'Do I buy an official Ralliart UK car or a non-official car?' For the purposes of this question I will call the cars 'UK' and 'import'.
Contrary to what anybody may tell you there are no major differences between a UK car and an import. All Evolutions come from exactly the same production line in Japan and they are all built to Japanese home market specifications.
However there are two main differences worth considering:
Ralliart UK can supply a comprehensive warranty on UK cars.
Some car insurance companies will only insure or offer a better rate for a UK car.
If you can find a tried and trusted warranty company to cover your import (or you simply don't want a warranty) then there is no reason not to contemplate an import. As for insurance, it is just a case of shopping around a bit more. Make sure that the insurance company you go for is in fact quoting for an import and not a UK car though. If you do go for an import make sure that it has been sourced direct from Japan by a reputable dealer or import agent.
There is a price differential between grey imports and the official UK cars and that is also reflected in second hand values. Don't get confused that UK cars hold their value better than grey imports. You will pay a lot less for a brand new grey import in the first place so depreciation is the same wherever the car is sourced from.
See the Buyers Guide for more details.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Well put HH6, you forgot to mention that you also get an official number for your official uk car

All together now

Ooo Aah

Ryan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You can buy yourself a Mitsubishi 'Grey Import' warranty from your Mitsi dealer, I think they just need to check the car over first before you buy, cant remember how much, I think it was about £300 or £400 quid per year. (Correct me if Im wrong)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Jees even half all Evo owners are confused about their own warenties .Thats why its worthless,its not that plain like any other gaurantees on products .I had a friend who tried to clain for a busted block on his citroen and they tried to wiggle out of it saying he must of driven the car too hard.
Any excuse ,he sued them for an awfull lot of money and won .
But so much hastle .buy a cheaper car ,you have statatuary rights on the sale of goods act if the vehicle doesn't conform to what it should do .So a warenty is only a piece of mind piece of paper.In my opinion.
But look at the small print and ask loads of IF I was to this with the car questions or If this breaks .
Piece of mind.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Deffeda,
The official number plaque is not what I would class as a major difference between grey and UK cars, it certainly wouldn't swing my decision to buy one over a grey import ;), in fact not all UK cars have the plaque. The minor differences will be covered in the E4-6 (7?) buyers guide.

Big Evo,
I bought a Mitsubishi warranty for my grey import. It was roughly £450 for 12 months with a cumulative maximum claim limit of £2500 for the life of the policy (hence I only went for the 12 month policy). It does only cover specifically named items however it has saved me £500 over the cost of the warranty so far this year without any hassle so it was worth it.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.