Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new Tommi I have fitted Hks Superform springs to lower the car and improve ride .I have a back condition and the ride is still to firm.If I fit 225/55 tyres will this improve ride without having a detrimental effect on the handling?I would be gratefull for some help with this problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you increase the wheel (rim |PLS| tire) diameter which is the case with 225/55*17 tires, the tires may touch in the wheel arches. Combined with lowering springs, this is almost certain. I dont want to be mean, but maybe an Evo is not the right car if you have serious back problems (especially if you have discs getiing closer to each other and drive over bumps with firm suspensions).
What you could do, but it would be more expensive, is change the suspensions to ones that absorb bumps better. I am thinking about Dynamic suspensions here, which I had fitted, that were, in optimum road setup, much more comfortable than the standard ones. Dynamic Suspensions have separate gas canisters and are bump and rebound adjustable. If you set them up a little softer, they should solve your problem.

Regards

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anarchist,

I recently changed my tires on my E4 RS. I was thinking of getting 205/55R16 but I knew I would diminish absolute road-holding/grip and might upset the balance of the car. My friendly tire dealer however insisted that I get UNIROYAL tires with silica (or was it silicone) compound of the 205/50R16 variety, which is OEM spec. Apparently, this gives the sidewall a softer feel.

Being the sucker that I have the tendency to be, I got them. And he even inflated it at 35psi (about 3 psi higher than OEM settings). My ride definitely improved, especially with those small bumps and potholes, and the highway/bridge expansion joints! Absolute grip level was still the same as my old Dunlop W-1 R-Spec tires and it even grips better in the wet! http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

My suggestion: Pick a tire with silica/silicone (whichever it is!!!) in its tire compound and the ride will be softer as compared to a tire with the regular rubber compound of the same dimensions.

Also, compare the tire-brands and models as the sidewall height tends to vary between brands and models. My tire dealer told me European brands (Pirelli, Uniroyal, Continental) tend to have a slightly thicker sidewall than Jap brands (Bridegestone, Yokohama, Dunlop, Toyo etc.) with the same dimensions.

Hope this helps you out! [img]http://www.ltregister.f9.co.uk/graphics/happy1.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| absmiddle >

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Er, change the suspension or the car - tyres won't make enough difference. The Proflex road kit is supposed to be quite good, as is the DMS one - not the full pro kit, the road one - set it to soft, and it might work - avoid jap stuff, hard as hell.

Perhaps you should get something like an M3... I can drive very fast on any road in my M5 without spilling a drop of a drink. With my EVO, my teeth fall out it is so hard! It's just that sort of car, I am afraid...

INcidentally, upping tyre pressures on the road results in a harder ride usually, as there is less sidewall flexing. Surely you should drop the pressures...

The standard EVO dampers are very harsh under 50mph. Dare I say it, but an Impreza P1 is a better bet if you want a softer road car than can still tackle the twisty stuff. (Ducks while he waits for the flames....)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Blade,

True what you said about tire pressure.

But I forgot to state that at 35psi, my new UNIROYAL's feel much smoother/softer than my old Dunlops while inflated at 30-32psi. This is (supposedly) because of the silica in its rubber compound.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maybe you could keep the car as is and look at the seating?
maybe a cushion or some kind of custom seat suspension!!!? I'm not really sure whats best for a bad back. Depends on the problem partly I guess.
Don't know how realistic this is. Provided whatever you add to your seats is securely fixed I should imagine it wouldn't degrade your ability to drive the car.

Just a random thought!
I would have thought anything that you do to lessen the stiffness of the car itself would be detrimental to grip, cornering ability etc.
Could lose the lowering springs though?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts