Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help with this..

Wheel size 18 x 8.5 (don't ask what make - OZ's won't be available until mid January)

Currently have ordered Toyo 235/40/18 for these

Should I stick with this size of go lower profile - if lower profile what size should it be for these rims

Thanks in advance

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi AntsEvo

I have these on my Evo 6 so there may be a bit of difference. It also depends on how low you have dropped your car.

My car is as low as it can go on 18's for me anyway. I use 235/40/18, same rims size as your and it just rubs on full lock if I am on a slope I.e Suspension under compression. I also have trick suspesion (Coilovers) so that may make a difference as well.

If I was to change tyres, I would probably go down a size say 225/35/18 but for you it is different as yours were 235 as standard.
I think it would be best that the Evo7 boys answer this one (too many differances)

Thorak

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Thorak - doesn't really help does it?

But thanks anyway, and yes the car is lowered 30mm at front and 40mm at rear (no rubbing with current setup 17inch rims with 235/40/18

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
If you want to keep the rolling diameter down (or at least close to your current setup), the lowest profile you can get hold of (ie 235/35 or 235/30). As far as personal experience goes, I haven't got a clue what you'd want (I'm on standard 225/45 17's on my E6 :))

On the offchance you didn't know, the profile is given in %age of the tyre width, so 235/40 is a (40% of 235mm) or 94mm high sidewall. For the really low profile tyres (30) you may also need to closely match tyre width to the rim width (less sidewall to take up any difference).

Given my lack of knowledge on pretty much all things car-related, I may also be way off the mark, so I'll wait for Blade or Evoboy's expert opinion on this ;)

Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers NumptyScrub, would like confirmation from Blade or EVOboy - I do have a bit of time though, the wheels are being made now and will be ready within a month, lets hope I get the answer by then, although I would like to run 35 or 30 profile, as long as it keeps my settings correct.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
235/40 is right, and is what I run. If you go lower, you need to go wider to get the same rolling radius.

A simple rule of thumb is plus sizing . If you add an inch to a wheel, add 10 mm to the width and remove 5mm from the profile.

So from 225/45-17, you got to 235/40-18.

Be careful going wider, as you could rub the arches when running 2 deg neg camber, or if you lower suspension/ use bigger struts etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts