Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
My front boots are just about buggered and Im wondering which tyres are generally recommended for road use. By the way the set thats on now have had the inside edges worn down so theirs no tread let till the 1st groove in. Local mitsub dealers are planning to sort out the wheel allignment to fix this issue. At the moment it pulls badly if you get any drop on the road surface (like subsidence etc). Is this because of the wheel alignment or could it be camber or toe angle setting on the car. Ive only had it 2mths no and have not driven anyone elses evo so have nothing to compare it to. Anyway suggestions or thoughts greatfully recvd.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Has it been lowered http://www.lancerregister.com/graphics/Wilk.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

As for tyres, you cant go wrong with Bridgestone So3's, dont pay more than £120inc per corner.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Be careful with the S03s. Everything I've ever heard about them says they're inferior to S02s in the dry (but better in the wet).

Wazuptommi just had a set of Pirelli P-Zero Assimetrico Yellows fitted and seems to like them. Claudius has a rally-driving mate who also swears by them. These chaps might be able to add a little more detail if they're reading.

I've currently got Pirelli P-Zero Rossos on my M3 (not quite as good as the Yellows in the dry but much better in the wet) and have had direct experience of Michelin Pilot Sport, P-Zero Yellow and S02s. If they were still available in my tyre sizes I'd keep buying S02s. Second to S02s I'd go for P-Zero Yellows, then Rossos and then (only if I had to) the Michelins.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Whats the opinion on AVS then? I thought they were slightly superior to SO3's for much the same price?

Droid,
How much do the P-zeros you mention go for?

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I've recently (1500 miles ago) fitted a set of Goodyear Eagle F1s, after considering all the usual suspects. They were a narrow runner up to the SO2 in the last Autocar tyre test and I have been very impressed with them. They are absolutely brilliant in the wet, are quiet and look good. Cheap too - £350 all in (4) from Micheldever :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Looking at the current tyres it appears that I have Bridgestones all round but the fronts say they are potenze S01's where as the backs are S01's but say expedia;s on them. The car is as far as i know is standard but is a Makinen edition which i am told is slightly lower and firmer than standard evo 6's which could explain which it is saw rough over some of the local roads, get it on some decent tarmac and it;s excellant though.
Is it right to have this difference front to back?
Do you guys rate Yoko's some friends of mine rate them on their motors although they are not Lancers.
Anyway let me know what you think. Ta.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
How much do the P-zeros you mention go for?

I can't remember how much the P-Zero Yellows cost so I can only tell you what the Rossos cost on my car recently.

I got them (eventually) from Bracknell Tyre and amp; Battery who were cheaper than Micheldever.

For 2 x 245/35R19 (front) and 2 x 275/30R19 (rear) the cost was £775 inclusive of everything. Compare this to a minimum of £1000 for the standard Michelin Pilots in smaller sizes (225/40R19, 255/35R19) and that's a bargain IMHO.

I reckon P-Zero Yellows will be cheaper and, with the much smaller Evo sizes, you might be looking at under £450 for all four. Just guessing though. If Wazuptommi's reading, he might be able to say how much his P-Zeros cost and from where.

Heartily recommend BTB for anyone near the Thames Valley though ... they're very often cheaper than Micheldever and that's very hard to do.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
I have the AVS Yoko`s on my Evo and they seem very good, however they do seem to break away fast and without much warning, not sure if that is down to the car or the tires as the car had them on when i bought it.

Bought set of the Goodyear F1`s for the Scoob last year..... very impressed with them.....nice looking and awesome/predictable in the wet :)

Rich.

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Wheels

Congrats on your TME. It is indeed 1cm lower. It has different front suspension arms.

As for the tyres, I dont know if the Potenza / Expedia thing is normal or not, but I do know that these tyres are **** anyway. You said you need a road tire. Given the current weather, I wouldnt get semislicks. Go for Pirelli PZero Assimmetricos. The Bridgestone S01 S02 S03 and all road tires from Michelin YOko Toyo Goodyear will fail if used hard. AVS lasted 1,000 miles on my front (same car as yours) S01s broke away (see pictures of my car's tyres on http://www.lancerforums.com in the Registry section when that site is back up again, they are changing servers), the Pzeroes lasted longest before melting on the outer edges. Now this was under heavy use (special stage downhill!!). I would get those, they are the best compromise between a long lasting road tire and grip. My friend César who is European Rallye champion (1993) also recommends these, even though he's got a contract with Michelin :D

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
I have just been checking out the Pirelli website and they list 2 tyre sizes for the P-Zero Asimmetrico suitable for the Evo:

225/45 ZR17TL (90)
225/45 ZR17TL 91Y

They make no mention of the 'Yellows' but I assume the 'Y' refers to it?
What is the difference between the two?

Sorry for being thick :(

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
Hi HH6

I came across that too, I think they are the same except one is Porsche homologation or sthg. It was called N2 I remember.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
HH6,

I think the 90, 91Y etc. is the max. load rating.

Claudius is right. P-Zero is original equipment on lots of cars and they do sometimes make specific compounds for those cars (e.g. Elise, Porsches etc.)

Just like Michelin, who make a specific compound and unique size for my car (which makes them expensive as well as crap).

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
It is called yellow because it says PZero in yellow on the sidewalls. It is the softest road tyre compound from Pirelli, thus the colour.

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
I paid £460 for my P Zeros from Stapleton tyres in Ware ,Herts.That was inclusive of VAT,balancing,valves
etc.They did make a mistake on the price though,they should have been £150 ea |PLS| Vat so I was lucky.They did say that for Evo Owners they would do a deal on this (Ask for Simon)

The dearest quote I had was £165 ea its really a question of shopping around remember Mail order companys like Micheldever only quote for the tyre ,fitting ,balancing etc is not in the price.

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Yes they were Yellow,you can tell because the Logo on the tyre is in yellow.

Dont Forget The Logo :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
If you're asking for these, just ask for P-Zero Assimetrico because the word Yellow is unlikely to show up on the ordering screen of the tyre dealer. AFAIK, they've only really been known as Yellows since the Rosso (Red) came out.

Ian.

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Claudius
I was told that the RED P-Zeros shold be more comfortable and are not as soft as the yellows.
But they are not the softest street tyre from Pirelli. The Pirelli CORSA will be available soon in many dimensions.
As you read also german, I guess, you saw perhaps the article in SPORT AUTO how they performed on an AUDI RS4...amazing...but they do not last very long. They are more like the ADVAN .
Did you tried the ADVAN 032R already on an EVO?
I am really looking for a good compromise. Do you think a P-Zero can also do a trac-day without suffering so much.
I just killed S-01 totally doing some laps in Hockenheim.

Felix

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
buy them i have done several track days with them and i go a lot sideways on the track they hold out incredable

my next set will be the pirelli assemitrico again
i used 235/40/18 those damn buggers are f..... great.

regards

andre

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Original Post:
Hi Claudius
I was told that the RED P-Zeros shold be more comfortable and are not as soft as the yellows.
But they are not the softest street tyre from Pirelli. The Pirelli CORSA will be available soon in many dimensions.
As you read also german, I guess, you saw perhaps the article in SPORT AUTO how they performed on an AUDI RS4...amazing...but they do not last very long. They are more like the ADVAN .
Did you tried the ADVAN 032R already on an EVO?
I am really looking for a good compromise. Do you think a P-Zero can also do a trac-day without suffering so much.
I just killed S-01 totally doing some laps in Hockenheim.

Felix
Yes, the PZero rosso (rosso |EQU| red) are not as soft and more comfortable. This is exactly why I do not recommend them (they also have less grip, obviously).

The Pirelli PZero Corsa is indeed softer, but it is a semislick, not a street tyre. That is why I said the PZero yellow is the softest street tyre compound.

MAXI drives on Yokohama A032Rs. I know them, like them. They have not much in common with a PZero or other street tyre, much more grip and last 5,000 kms in medium compound (hardest available) with hard street use.

S01s are some of the worst tyres I've seen on an Evo. It's like driving with the 15 inchers and single piston brake of the RS version wheel and brake wise!

If a tyre survives a track day depends on how you drive. I guess if the track is not too twisty, they will not overheat and melt. It is the best compromise for the road.

Ian

they were called yellow before the rosso came out, but maybe as there was no need for differentiation not everybody called them yellow...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts