Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i need yr help here, I am in the process of buying an Evo6 and thought i would check my local petrol station 2 c if they do SUL, when i asked do u do super unleaded here the woman behined the desk said no! nobody does now she went on to say the unleaded they have is ment 2B better for the engine!!
I took note of the details of the unleaded hoping u guys could say if this is ok or not. Here goes..Ultra Low Sulpher, Premium unleaded, (ULSP) BS EN228.
This was @ a Tesco filling station.If the 2 types of fuel above r the same u will have 2 excuse me i will get my coat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
sorry u need super or shell optimax or octane booster from ur local car accessory shop, also i did read somewhere that boosters are not very good,but hey dont be put off

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Smudger,

Chunky's link is superb!

I, like you, had the same experience b4 I got my evo! It's bo**ox! Most Shell garages sell Optimax (98 ron, opposed to 97 SUL and 95 normal unleaded). Many bigger BP and Esso garages sell SUL. Most people on here will only use Optimax now (ask anyone in Cheltenham).

95 unleaded can be used in an emergency, but most drive carefully with it in.

One tip: Don't trust the fuel gauge. Use the trip meter to tell you when to fill up. I.e start looking for SUL at about 140-160 miles.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The standard EVO 6 fuel tank is split with a balancer pipe. As a result, the gauge can be very inaccurate. It can appear to drop very quickly, particularly with an uprated fuel pump, and appear empty even though there is 10litres or more in the balancer pipe!

I have spent ALOT of time ####ing about with this in order to calibrate the stack dash fuel levels. Basically, once you get to 2/3rds on the gauge, it will be 10l out in your favour!. The only time to really worry about low fuel is when the yellow warning light comes on - that is accurate.

As I said, uprated fuel pumps will exaggerate the problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and fuel sloshing around because of the balancer arrangement (up and down hills or stop/start driving) will make it go up and down like a yo-yo.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
From my FAQ's:

Q: What is the best fuel to use?
A: Ralliart only recommend the use of Super Unleaded (97RON) in all Evolution models in the UK. The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100RON fuel (they do have up to 105RON). The engine management in the Evolutions can adapt to lower octane fuels but performance will be reduced slightly to prevent detonation or knocking. The higher the octane fuel you use the less chance that knocking will occur. There are new fuels coming on the EU market that are slightly higher rated (Shell Optimax at 98RON) so using those should in theory improve performance slightly over normal Super Unleaded.
The official advice from Ralliart is do not use 95RON Premium Unleaded unless in an emergency. If you have to fill up with 95RON Unleaded for any reason then drive carefully until you get a chance to fill up with 97RON Super Unleaded again. Ralliart do not recommended the use of Octane Boosters even in an emergency.
It has been suggested that driving for long periods on 95RON Unleaded can possibly lead to damage of the engine, however Evos are run in countries without major problems where the maximum rating of fuel available is only 93RON (e.g. Greece, China and the West Indies).
Do not use 4 Star or Lead Replacement Petrol, it may have a higher Octane Rating but it contains additives that can damage the Catalytic Converter and the Lambda (oxygen) sensor.
To find the availability and price of Super Unleaded in your area then look here: www.Ispypetrol.com (note not all petrol stations are listed).

Q: Should I use Octane Boosters?
A: The Evolutions are built for the Japanese home market and as such the cars would normally use 100RON fuel. The maximum rated fuel that is obtainable from filling stations in the UK (and most of the EU) is currently 98RON (Shell Optimax) or 97RON (Super Unleaded). Using a lower RON rated fuel than was intended by the manufacturer means the engine will not be running at it’s maximum potential and if the RON rating is too low it can actually be harmful (generally don’t use fuel rated less than 97RON unless in an emergency, see ‘What is the best fuel to use?’). You can use an Octane Booster to increase the fuels Octane Rating to 100RON (or more). Many people do use Octane Boosters, especially when using their cars on track days, however a lot of people do not use them, it is entirely up to the owner whether they feel it is worthwhile.
It is worth noting that Ralliart do not recommend the use of Octane Boosters, even in an emergency. Also note that your warranty maybe affected if you do use an Octane Booster. It has been said that Octane Boosters can actually leave traces of their use in the engine and fuel system and if you have an engine failure, a warranty claim may not be met if their use is evident (this is unconfirmed though).

(Thanks to Chunky for the link (I quickly added on to the FAQ ;)))

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Oh yeah the 'Fuel Gauge' problem is also in my FAQ's. It's down in the 'Interior' section of 'Faults/quirks/problems' along with the 'Self Reclining Recaros' and 'Intermittant Speedo', haven't written any of those yet though :(
...bugger 7 pages already and I haven't even done half of it yet (and thats only E4-6!) more to do than I thought, better crack on with it next week :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey there really is nothing to look forward to anyway!
They are FAQ's after all, just questions people most commonly ask on here plus known problems which also have appeared on here. If you read the forum regularily then it will be nothing new to anyone. It might be tarted up with a few photos but nowt special.

btw thanks for the email, most informative ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have read on a link in the past that although the fuel tank is 50 litres the gauge only indicates for 40 litres(?) It also said that the light does come on with 10 litres left.

As well as self reclining seats what about a fuel gauge the shows 3/4 full at 80 mile's and 1/2 full at 100 miles (distance not speed!)

Hope this doesn't confuse anything.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That seems to be true with me too SIlverVI

The guage will only read for 40 litres, then the light comes on. I drive on knowing Ive still got 7 litres left and the guage drops well below the last notch, giving the impression its not working. Strange.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The fuel gauge 'quirk' is a problem with all Evo's. The reason the gauge reads funny is because basically the tank is spilt into two halves by the propshaft and rear diff passing through the middle and the tanking being shaped to go around them (well it's near enough 2 halves). Not only does the gauge read funny but it will actually rise up from 1/2 to 3/4 after a long drive due to the fuel equalling out between the 2 sides of the tank when stopped.
I will be doing a more full answer in the FAQ.

Claudius,
E4/5/6/6.5 |EQU| 50 litres capacity
E7 |EQU| 48 litres capacity
but whats 2 litres amongst friends ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I did 30 miles of normal driving after the warning light came on in my VI and still only got 43 litres in when I filled up. Might be of help to someone :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
By the way I have confirmed with Shell regarding Optimax, and I quote from their customer support email:

The octane rating is guaranteed 98, however, it is typically around 98.6....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts