Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One last effort before I resort to calling in a TV engineer.
We moved into the bungalow last August. New LG LED TV works fine in lounge on satellite/freeview.
Usual redecorating/carpets/lots of TLC to correct mess left by previous owner.
Just finished main bedroom. Put a new TV onto wall, aerial socket renewed (correctly wired). All connected, auto tuning results in " NO SIGNAL " ! expletive !
Tried two other aerial sockets in the bungalow, including the original one in the lounge and same result !
Digital aerial outside, cable comes into booster box in loft, (aerial lead goes into UHF IN socket, FM IN not used) all connected and working, led light lit, tried switching off/on, all cable connections to it tight and firm, still no signal.
So ….. anything left to try/do/hit with hammer !!!! before I call in a TV engineer to see if they can sort it ??!!
Cheers
Brian. :mad:

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
One last effort before I resort to calling in a TV engineer.
We moved into the bungalow last August. New plasma TV works fine in lounge on satellite/freeview.
Usual redecorating/carpets/lots of TLC to correct mess left by previous owner.
Just finished main bedroom. Put a new TV onto wall, aerial socket renewed (correctly wired). All connected, auto tuning results in " NO SIGNAL " ! expletive !
Tried two other aerial sockets in the bungalow, including the original one in the lounge and same result !
Digital aerial outside, cable comes into booster box in loft, (aerial lead goes into UHF IN socket, FM IN not used) all connected and working, led light lit, tried switching off/on, all cable connections to it tight and firm, still no signal.
So ….. anything left to try/do/hit with hammer !!!! before I call in a TV engineer to see if they can sort it ??!!
Cheers
Brian. :mad:
when you say freeview worked, was that freeview via sky ie through the dish, or freeview via traditional digital?

Have you tried bypassing the splitter/booster, straight from aerial to 1 of the tv outputs?

Assuming your original freeview was via sky, is the aerial even pointing in the correct position, and the cable connected to it a good connection

Stu

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say freeview worked, was that freeview via sky ie through the dish, or freeview via traditional digital?

Have you tried bypassing the splitter/booster, straight from aerial to 1 of the tv outputs?

Assuming your original freeview was via sky, is the aerial even pointing in the correct position, and the cable connected to it a good connection

Stu
Freeview is through the traditional signal (freesat ?) I refuse to give Mr Murdoch a penny ! No Sky.
I will have to see what bits of cable/connectors I have to bypass the booster box but will see if it can be done.
Outdoor aerial points the same way as others in the street.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Brian.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just tried bypassing the booster box. no difference at all, still NO SIGNAL message.
Looks like an engineer jobbie.
Cheers
Brian.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Attachments

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Freeview is through the traditional signal (freesat ?) I refuse to give Mr Murdoch a penny ! No Sky.
I will have to see what bits of cable/connectors I have to bypass the booster box but will see if it can be done.
Outdoor aerial points the same way as others in the street.
Thanks for the help.
Cheers
Brian.
Freesat is free from sky via a sky dish, and is basically freeview plus some free sky channels too

I only ask as if you did have freeview through the aerial, it points to things were working and something has changed, but if your freeview was via freesat, it could imply the digital over the air chanels never worked

Stu

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
it could imply the digital over the air chanels never worked

Stu
Per Stu's comment. Do you know if the downlead, cable from aerial, is a single run direct to the loft or has it been "stretched" at any time?
Have look at all coax plugs for signs of a whisker of copper shorting out the signal. At the same time look for any black or green corrosion, it's not unknown for water I ingress the cable.

If you do get an aerial guy in think about running the downlead to the sat box and then an uplead to the loft booster. you'd be able to watch, the same channel at any location

Grant

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Freesat is free from sky via a sky dish, and is basically freeview plus some free sky channels too

I only ask as if you did have freeview through the aerial, it points to things were working and something has changed, but if your freeview was via freesat, it could imply the digital over the air chanels never worked

Stu
That set me thinking Stu.
I delved into the settings on the LG led tv in the lounge that uses the freesat and retuned it to antennae. Fewer channels but it works from the lounge aerial point. Signal strength is between 55-65%. So it looks like the aerial sockets DO WORK after all. My apologies for getting this so wrong and misleading you all.
However the new TV still says no signal so I will have to ring their helpline tomorrow and see what they can do/suggest.
Thanks again.
Brian.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
That set me thinking Stu.
I delved into the settings on the LG led tv in the lounge that uses the freesat and retuned it to antennae. Fewer channels but it works from the lounge aerial point. Signal strength is between 55-65%. So it looks like the aerial sockets DO WORK after all. My apologies for getting this so wrong and misleading you all.
However the new TV still says no signal so I will have to ring their helpline tomorrow and see what they can do/suggest.
Thanks again.
Brian.
well for me next, id try the new tv in the lounge, or the now working tv on another aerial point, that will tell you if its the new tv set up, or the signal not being repeated throughout the house

Stu

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well for me next, id try the new tv in the lounge, or the now working tv on another aerial point, that will tell you if its the new tv set up, or the signal not being repeated throughout the house

Stu
That's what I have done and that's why at first I thought it was an aerial problem. The LG tv will connect and pick up free view in the lounge, the new builtin freeview tv will not pick up a signal from the same lounge socket. A tv issue me thinks !
I can't move the big LG tv to test the bedroom connection, its too well fixed and wired in.
Cheers

Brian.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Signal strength of 55 - 65% is poor. Whether this is due to your installation, or could it be due to a too small (length) aerial? How does the aerial length compare to your neighbour's?

Enter your postcode into http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide and see what they have to say.

Also BBC site http://www.bbc.co.uk/receptionsearch
Was thinking it could also just need adjusting, or corroded connections at the aerial

Should be enough to get a few channels on the other tv though shouldn't it?

Stu

·
Premium Member
9,871 Posts
Was thinking it could also just need adjusting, or corroded connections at the aerial

Should be enough to get a few channels on the other tv though shouldn't it?

Stu
I agree and would expect BBC channels to be available?
[techy bit, BBC multiplexes use lower rates of, digital, compression than others]

There's probably something "damn silly" going on, but what is it?

Time to get the aerial guy/gal in

Brian, lets us know how you get on

Grant

PS when I'm not "playing" with cars I work in electrical retail

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree and would expect BBC channels to be available?
[techy bit, BBC multiplexes use lower rates of, digital, compression than others]

There's probably something "damn silly" going on, but what is it?

Time to get the aerial guy/gal in

Brian, lets us know how you get on

Grant

PS when I'm not "playing" with cars I work in electrical retail
I would have thought that as one TV picks up an aerial signal and pictures are OK then the new one should do the same ?
I will phone tomorrow and find out but rare for a new TV to be faulty I would have thought, it's a Blaukpunkt 32".
I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers
Brian.

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
I would have thought that as one TV picks up an aerial signal and pictures are OK then the new one should do the same ?
I will phone tomorrow and find out but rare for a new TV to be faulty I would have thought, it's a Blaukpunkt 32".
I'll let you know what happens.
Cheers
Brian.
I thought that, had 2 samsung run off a 4 way split/booster. Never had any reception issue for years. Replaced 1 samsung with a Panasonic, and that would only pick up a couple of channels, and they were flakey, nothing else had changed. Tried allsorts and eventually had to replace the cable from the splitter to that tv, must have been some damage in the cable. My point was though it was fine on the samsung, not on the Pani, the Pani just seemed to need a stronger signal

Stu

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tv is being collected on Thursday for repair as manufacturer's helpline chap reckon's it's faulty. We will see what happens after that.
Cheers
Brian.

·
Premium Member
525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The update as promised.
The Blaukpunkt TV was purchased from UMC via their ebay auction.
It was returned this morning with the following advice note …

"Replaced faulty main board with a new one & updated software.
Issue has been resolved.
TV tested OK ! "

So back on the wall, and it works fine, signal good, all stations loaded and playing as they should.
There was me thinking that something new out of the box would work with no issues, especially a TV (quality control etc) but not in this case. UMC were fine , no problems and quick repair.
Thanks for all the advice.
Cheers
Brian.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts