Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Turkish's UK Icelle VI - UPDATE... She is running!

Hello all! I've been on MLR for years, lurking away! Finally bit the bullet back in October and bought myself my first Evo; a UK Icelle Blue VI GSR! I knew Evo ownership wouldn't come cheap, but to say we've had a rocky start would be an understatement!

Some pics from the previous owner -

The day I picked it up...

Then the problems began... Day 2 of Evo ownership and I'm fitting a new bonnet cable as the original snapped when I went round to see the car. Whilst the wheel is off and the arch liner is out I take a look at the front ARB bushes, droplinks etc just for wear and tear - doesn't have one fitted at all?!

Day 3 of Evo ownership - spotted my front right OZ Ultraleggera is cracked. Brilliant!

Day 4 of Evo ownership (this is where it gets really good!) - on my way over to Warwick to watch my friends playing football, after slowing down into the town from a short blast down some of my favourite roads I notice a tapping noise coming from the engine! Fearing the worst I pulled over and check it out a bit more - didn't sound great so I nursed it home for more diagnosis the following day.

Day 5 - Compression test, borescope, pulling sensors and other bits and bobs just to try and cling on to some hope it wouldn't be terminal, but to no avail. I decided it was probably a damaged piston or a rattle coming from the bottom end on cylinder 4... Gutted!

So I decided to get the car up to MG Autos for a proper diagnosis. They found a few other issues (two of the wheels are cracked not just one!) and they got the engine out and stripped to find that it has had a reground crank put in it in the past. The noise looked to be coming from the shells which almost seemed loose in the rods, and had plenty of wear on them!

So 5 days and about 250 miles into Evo ownership and I'm staring down the barrell of a full engine rebuild :yawn: But hey ho, such is life!

And that's where we are up to now! The car is currently with MG and I've gone on Mat's recommendations for a full forged engine build using CP pistons, Oliver rods, new crank, JUN cams and a load of other jazzy bits! I'm not keen for chasing crazy figures so despite the engine potentially being capable of a lot more, it'll only be running at the limits of what an 80 series turbo can produce... More than enough for the time being I'm sure!

Hopefully get some more pics up on this thread as and when!

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Well, that was an interesting first week of evo ownership.....

:lol:

Can only get better from now on.

:smthumbup

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
Looks a really lovely car despite the unfortunate issues. Keep this updated! Would love to see how it comes back. :)

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
7Thats some real bad luck but as mentioned above its a really nice looking evo and the bodywork looks good. Love the colour aswell. Really suits them wheels

·
Premium Member
2,956 Posts
Yes, looked a lovely clean car, nice colour, but goes to show you never know what you're buying unless you're really diligent, but even then you're not ever going to pull the car apart to check can you..!!?? Seems it had MLR stickers on, so did you buy it off here..?

Hope the rebuild goes well anyway, and lastly welcome to Evo ownership, think about soon you'll have a lovely solid car which you can enjoy for years to come! :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
751 Posts
Congrats and best of luck!

·
Super Moderator
19,493 Posts
Sorry to hear of your woes, thats pretty tough going :(

Upside the engine will be bullet proof and the 80 series is a great turbo and gives you more than enough power and response for lots of fun :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
That's some serious bad luck! I suppose it's a good thing you caught it when you did, it could have ruined the whole engine. As said, you can squeeze good numbers out of the 80 series. Drivability and reliability aren't effected too much.

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Yeah it was pretty **** luck, but as said above glad it was caught pretty sharpish.

Just looking forward to getting it back now :)

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
That looks like a very clean vi you have there mate and an awesome colour!
bad news about the engine rebuild but you know its going to be reliable for the power

is the car that clean underneath?.. also you may want to check your front disks look like there on the wrong way around! the backs look right tho so your halfway there!

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That looks like a very clean vi you have there mate and an awesome colour!
bad news about the engine rebuild but you know its going to be reliable for the power

is the car that clean underneath?.. also you may want to check your front disks look like there on the wrong way around! the backs look right tho so your halfway there!
You've got eyes like a hawk! Can't believe I missed that, cheers for pointing that out for me! :smthumbup

·
... now with more Bang :)
17,771 Posts
Hope everything is on the up from now on :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Stunning car ...glad to see it not just me im also sorting my bottom end seems a weak part from factory.

All forged your ownership and value will be pleasing for sure

Epic build and turnaround

Love to see some clips of it running.

·
Premium Member
20,559 Posts
Looking at thread start pics i was expecting all joy ....
Seems :mitsi: likes to introduce us the hard way ...
Yet the rewards of loyalty will be many , godspeed on this endeavour :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UPDATE!

I got the car back from MG last Friday, and have been enjoying it too much to get posting on here! The car made some pretty solid figures, especially for an 80 series - 472hp @ 1.9bar! It absolutely flies now, and being as it's on an 80 series the spool is still decent so it really does feel quite ridiculous with very little lag. I'm going to borrow a GoPro once the weather gets a bit better and get some videos up. However, first on the agenda is the brakes - they are dog****!

I've since swapped the wheels over for freshly refurbished OEM 17s with Nankang NS2Rs (which as I've since found out, don't work well on damp February roads when you've got nearly 500hp!). I took the Godspeed two-piece discs off and had a good clean up of the front brakes in general - it's better than it was but I think the discs are warped beyond help... So for now until I can afford a BBK I'm going to stick some OEM discs on; that way it's not shaking itself to death whenever the brakes get warm!

I've also chucked my reg number on it and given it a clean today after stupidly taking it out in the rain on Tuesday! Here is some pics from the last 10 days -

1 - 20 of 27 Posts