Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a US 4G63T guy and I was curious what you turbos you guys run when you are looking for 450-500 hp at the wheels (not just 450-500 bhp, I've got that already). Who makes the turbos, how much do they cost, where can you get them from, and what manifold do you use to mount them up?

rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
richg
We r a little behind u US boys in power levels , I don't know of any UK Evo producing 450-500 bhp at the wheels (although I 4 one am working on it :)).
U say u have 450-500 flywheel bhp now , wot's yr throttle response like , wot boost u running ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Throttle response is quite good. Right now with my current setup, starting from a low RPM in say 4th or 5th, I will have--you guys like bar for boost, right?-- about .7 bar by 3000 RPM, and 1.4|PLS| bar by 3600-3700 RPM -- this is a standard bearing turbo, NOT ceramic ball bearing. Rolling on the throttle from 4K|PLS| and full boost is achieved almost instantly. I almost wish I chose a larger turbine housing as this turbo spools up almost TOO quick. I run a maximum of 1.65 - 1.7 bar when racing-- for normal around town cruising, boost stays around 1.3 bar as the normal pump gas we get is absolute ####, and there normally isn't a 'need' for more boost than that :).

I am currently running a garrett T3/T04E turbo (T3 hot side, T4 compressor side). If anyone is interested in the trims, I would be happy to divulge them.

Bottom end is still completely stock, with 123K miles (~200K km's I think that is). Only internal mods to the motor are I've removed the balance shafts, am running a set of HKS 272 intake and exhaust camshafts, and have a set of crower titanium valvespring retainers.

So you mean to say us yanks are winning the 4G63 hp war? I for sure would think there would be some real sick EVO's out there... My car is definitely one of the quickest street driven 4G63's in the area, but there are a good deal MUCH faster than myself that are still street cars. For reference, the cars best 1/4 mile ET is 11.63, and highest mph so far is 119 mph.

rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Uhm....I think the Japanese are winning the power war!!! They always do...with most cars...especially the ones they make!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. seeing as how we don't have ANY EVO's in the US, its a bit hard for us to compete :)

Right now though... highest wheel hp I know of is just over 700 hp at the wheels out of an unstroked, 2.0 4G63 engine. Is there an EVO out there doing more? If so, I'd love to see what its got on it :)

As far as japan winning the power war--I'd love to see what kind of hp and 1/4 mile ET's / MPH their supras and rx-7's put down compared to our high hp ones.

rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lo,

Dunno if you already know this or not.. But standard evo's run at 155 mph, and 0-60 in 4.4 seconds.. the 1/4 i dont know.. About the same maybe as yours...

Here a website with loads off nice pictures on it for ya.. Click the link at the bottom, and you can see other makes of jap cars as well:- http://www.geocities.com/mitlancerevovi/lancer.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think you might be the one who needs to research what a stock EVO is capable of...hehe -- my car does 0-60 mph in 3.1 - 3.2 seconds. As far as top speed, I haven't tried to completely top it out, but it will pull up past 160 mph with great ease :).

I just assumed that since the later generation 4G63's are more superior out of the box that there would be heavily modified ones out there, and possibly some of the high HP tricks used on your EVO's would work on my style 4G63 as well. You know... a bit of overseas exchange of information :) Maybe you could direct me to another website/forum/vendor where they have information about heavily modified EVO's?

rich

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dont know wot you mean? What i have stated there is straight out of the manufacturers guides on max speed and 0-60 of the evo 6 gsr... I dont need to do any research as I own one of these. :)

Have a look at this website, JUN peformance over in Japan build the fastest evos around.. - http://www.junauto.co.jp/index-e.html

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
richg,
Huge bhp rumours eminate from Japan continuously , we never actually see evidence of these claims , oki , can u help with this ?

In the UK we tend 2 consider 500-550 flywheel bhp 2 b outstanding from a DOHC inline turbo four , I know much more than this is definately achievable , in fact I am currently working on a mega power Evo motor:)

Ther is a fundamental difference in car culture between the UK and US , u r 1/4 mile fanatics , but we only have 2 or three drag strips 2 play on , our fun is twisty road madness , so we tend 2 go 4 in gear pull and top speed , even tho we have rediculous anti-speed legislation.

The Japanese tuning style is mainly T6 with loads of boost and stroker kits:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I monitor both the U.S. and U.K. 4G63T message boards and without a doubt the U.S. is far ahead of the U.K. when it comes to tuning 4G63Ts. From what I see, the avg. U.K. owner tends to just buy brand name parts and have their shop fit and tune them, where as the U.S. owner tends to be much more on top of technical issues, tends to do a lot more research on what parts are available and what they can achieve with them, tends to fit the parts themselves and is a lot more willing to experiment with tuning.

I have no idea about Japan.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts