Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am thinking of upgrading the standard turbo on my evo5 but on a tight budget due to a recent respray. I have been searching ebay as I have been told that a standard evo8 or 9 turbo will fit and give more power however I have seen a couple of ads for a "kinugawa" turbo, both TD05HR-20G-10.5T and TD06SL2R-20G-10.5.

If anyone has any knowledge of this make or advice it would be helpful as I don't have much experience in upgrading turbos! I have lots of other upgraded items fitted so I think the turbocharger should be next!

Premium Member
Based on all feedback ive seen, these turbos are terrible.
They blow oil seals constantly at very low miles.
One I ready about only did a couple of hundred miles

Unfortunately they are that cheap because they are POOR quality

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
I gotta agree you are going to get what you pay for. A lot of proper 'upgraded' turbos from Garrett, HKS, Hybrid ones are 2 or 3 grand new.

Ross Sport are supposed to do some decent Stock Frame turbo upgrades as are a lot of the other reputable traders.

If you are after a tubby to give you a base to get 'more power' on a IV-VI the general concensus on here is to fit a 70/71 series. See that other thread I linked. You read about problems fitting an 80 series to a non-mivec BUT that can be down to the mapper in some cases. My friend's VIII has an 80 series and it is very good.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, Looks like I will give that a miss then, I did think they seemed very cheap! Would a used standard evo 8/9 turbo improve performance. and fit?

Premium Member
E9 turbos are abit different to the earlier evos. If you was to use a 9 turbo then need a fitting kit for it also, I think j pipe is different and maybe line too. Traders on here sell the kits

Have a search for 80 series turbo from the e9, alot of people use these as an upgrade for the earlier evos.

Premium Member
Regional Organiser
Thanks for the advice, Looks like I will give that a miss then, I did think they seemed very cheap! Would a used standard evo 8/9 turbo improve performance. and fit?
This is the sort of bank you need for a decent Garrett ATX, etc:

http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=353316

I would be careful fitting any second hand turbo unless it was fully refurbished to be honest. When I change mine eventually, I will get that refurbished for spares even.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Very nice, just done 3k on a respray so that will have to wait! Will hope to come across a decent used turbo I think, just want that little bit more power

Premium Member
Sumo power have got a great deal on the HKS Stock frame turbo, but it's about to go up by a few hundred 拢 There is a lot of good feedback on them, especially in respect of how fast they spool up.
The 80 series is meant to be popular but if you're aiming for 400 the 8 turbo with the 10.5 hot side will make that number.
No grumbles from my Turbo Technics so far- but I've barely put 200 miles on it.
The Blouch XTR turbos also look good- someone was selling a complete manifold and turbo for 拢2k (turbo alone is over 拢2.5k new) which will also do mid 500's.

Premium Member
I've got a HKS 7460r Kai turbo on mine, and is absolutely awesome.

Spool is amazing and is doing 420bhp at the moment without being pushed, I'll be getting the rods done soon and then getting the power up a bit more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts