Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out there use a turbo timer? Rob Evo 6 is after one but wants to know if anyone else has got one fitted and how it works with the alarms immobiliser. Does it bypass the immobiliser? Do you have to leave the alarm off until the timer goes off - in which case, why bother with a timer?

Please help?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Exactly!! Why bother.....
It's just a gadget that lets your car idle for a bit.....something that's not too hard for humans to do!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes..........don't bother installing one - just drive 'gingerly' (use very little boost) when you get near your destination (2 to 3 miles) after canning it for awhile.......this will allow your engine oil to cool your turbo..........probably better than just idling and wasting petrol.

I use to have a T.timer, but i find myself turning it off manually 95% of the time! I think your money will be better spent elsewhere....ie: tower bar or maybe a boost gauge...........etc...

Then again, I may be wrong!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There was an HKS turbo timer fitted to my car, E6, when I bought it and I removed it after a month. You cannot activate the alarm until the engine is off, the immobilizer will automatically work after a set period after the ignition is turned off by the timer. I have the timer for sale if anyone is interested, any good offer accepted!:)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think a turbo timer is not good, your insurance wont cover the car for theft anymore, plus it is illegal to have them in the UK :D
Would you agree HH6?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow - so much negative response.

My car came with a turbo timer fitted in Japan. It's a manual one where you set the time for it to run rather than let it work it's own time out. It's been linked into a speed sensor as it shuts the engine off as soon as it detects the car moving.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, totally agree with you ClaudiusK, Turbo Timers are the biggest waste of money out there and just pip carbon look sticky back plastic in my league table ;)
However they are not illegal to own but you may be prosecuted for leaving a running motor vehicle unattended (people have been done before for this). They may also invalidate insurance if you have one fitted and working. They offer an easy route for hot wiring a car hence the insurance thing.
The best Turbo Timer is your own brain and its entirely free.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mine has a Turbo Timer, does the trick. I can see both sides to the story, but when you have been gunning it, and cannot afford to spend 5 minutes sitting in the car or driving slowly for the previous 5 miles, then they come in handy.

My alarm is set around the opposite way with respect to the immobiliser....when the alarm is armed the immobiliser basically waits for either a preintrusion or a full intrusion. At this point if either is detected it cuts in and kills the car....this works well....and I understand is the same way that many couriers have their vans/cars set up also.

As for the legaility...well that depends on where you are....many/most people here are in Europe (where from the sounds of it - generally they are illegal) but here in the Land of the long white Sheep (NZ), there are no such restrictions :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was just pulling HH's leg since he made a similar statement a while ago. I do not have a TT in my TME, but I used to have one and it was pretty good for the aforementioned reasons. When you're in a hurry and cant wait in the car etc or when you just want to leave it idling for 15 s to draw attention (MAXI

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have one on my car (well until the keypad decided to bust) and I have had no probs using it with the alarm in question. The person who fitted the alarm set one of the spare buttons up to activate it. Keys out alarm on, no probs.
As for the police...I was given a severe talking to for leaving it running outside a bank machine, until I pointed out that the car was locked and showed him the keys, he replied Oh, right then and drove off. I think I was lucky.....
As for their practicallity and use, ive read that they can be more detrimental, (I read it on this board) due to standing temps I recall.......
dont think ill bother on my mitsi.....when I get one

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i just changed my Timer to the new HKS one with a bunch of different features (1/4 mile time, braking distance, etc). acutally, i just like the way it lights up in comparison to my old one. they are not necessary as has been said before, and i had the car 2 months before i fitted one. the main reason was because i got tired of waiting on it to cool down all the time. i don't live in the UK so there's nothing illegal or any problems with the insurance. as someone said they do make it easier to hotwire the car, so if i lived in the UK i wouldn't fit one either.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Driving fast and then having to #### around waiting for things to idle down seem to me to cancel each other out. I'm too impatient not to have a timer.
Have never had problems with the alarms and timers interfering with each other, Uniden and Mongoose, so obviously the installers were sufficiently skilled. Just that the vibration from the radiator fan can trigger alarm sensors and set off the alarm.
BUT every time I've had a timer installed in a turbo Mitsi they haven't wired it so the radiator fan can still run while the timer is in operation! Apparently Mitsis require an extra wire as opposed to other major manufacturers. I nearly over heated my Evo engine at idle due to this oversight by the auto electrician.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Damn that exact same thing happened to me with my Cordia....had a TT installed by Mitsubishi, installed the Alarm, noticed after giving the car a stern drive :D that the fan wasn't working when the car was idling....took it back to the Mitsubishi place, and they tried to blame it on the Alarm installer...back and forth back and forth...Damn! :)

But that was then and this is now. And it is all good :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts