Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all!
has anyone used a turbo seal repair kit? and is it worth getting one and having a bash my self? also what is the best way to check if the seals are gone? is it removing the turbo and checking the exhaust side of the turbo for oil?? its a evo 9 gt which is now throwing out loads of smoke im not 100% sure if its the turbo im going to do a comp test tamoz on the cylinders to see if there ok.. also does the turbo defo need to be balanced? seen a few vids on youtube which say u dont have to if you mark everything up which will be as factory balance is this true???
cheers steve........

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
looked at people do it on you tube dont look hard im just not sure if it will need balance afterwards.

·
Registered
177 Posts
You do realise turbo "seals" are steel rings, much like a piston ring in an engine, and if they are worn they will have damaged the ring land they sit in. How exactly to you think you're going to correct that wear on the shaft or collars? That's only one part that'll be damaged, the bearing housing is more than likely going to be damaged too as the ring seals into the exhaust section on that. Don't watch youtube videos on how to repair turbo's, these people have no idea what they're doing!

·
Registered
9,261 Posts
turbo rebuild

the one piece shaft is likely to be worn[exhaust wheel]-any ridges at all and the new bearing/seal kit wont last long
i"ve rebuilt a few for my own use[bearings/seals-sometimes new comp hsg/wheel] and had mostly good results even without balancing[the wheels are balanced on their own] -but if i was going to fit a turbo to a forged or very expensive engine i would get a pro recon job done or a new turbo and have done this in the past.
you can also buy replacement cores...assembled/balanced if you look hard enough
you pays your money and takes your chance...:handsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts