Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
How easy would it be to fit turbo/twin turbo to a normally aspirated engine? I have seen on the HKS site that they do a turbo kit, mega bucks but would it be worth it?

(Answers in plain English please) :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Teri,
It is possible but another option is to go for an engine transplant and put in a turbo engine.

To convert a NA car to turbo requires the following (at least):

1. Probably lower compression ratio thererfore new con rods and probably pistons to take the extra power
2. fitting of intercooler in most cases unless adding a small turbo
3. Fitting of some form of boost controller (can be simple wastegate controlled without any ECU input or fit a ECU controlled boost controller etc...)
4. new exhaust manifold to go with turbo
5. re routed intake pipework

And I'm sure there are other things that I've missed but it's a start

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Big,

tricky. Basically unless you can pinch the stuff off a turbo variant of your engine or are a dab hand at welding its gonna be a bitch to get the exhaust manifold constructed. You also need a large oil supply and sizeable return (0.5 inch) to the sump. Plus all the air plumbing to turbo and from turbo to inlet (maybe via intercooler/chargecooler).

Normally easier to fit a supercharger. I like the Vortech type centrifugal ones which work well on a big engine. These have no boost at low revs but alot of boost at high revs where a big engine normally struggles to breath. No lag either.

Either way unless you only have low boost and amp;lt;5psi you would also need to lower the compression ratio otherwise the engine would detonate to death. Fuelling/ignition is another issue that would probably need a new ecu, although you might get away with frig boxes.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Teri,
U cud check out the viability of installing the Mitsubishi 3000 GTO twin Turbo motor , I'm pretty certain it's the same motor but 3 ltr and twin turbo. Then 500 bhp is available quite easily :) Wud still b lots of work tho.

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
Andy

How much extra power do you reckon doing all that would give?

Evoboy

I think there are a few bits similar on the Paj to the GTO but don't like the idea of changing the engine.

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Teri,

Dropping the 3000 GTO engine in wud b the cheaper option , to twin turbo yr Paj engine wud b v.expensive. Twin turbos wud b the best way on a V6 , due 2 pipework installation , but the 2 turbo's alone wud b £2500 or more. Then all the ancillary stuff , labour etc , say minium wud b £5k , so total cud b £7.5 - £10k.
Power wud b minimum of 350 bhp but easily 450 bhp , torque tho wud b way up on the non-turbo engine.
Big project , check 2 c if it's been done already , the Jap's r mad enuf :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Teri,
How long is a piece of string?
You know how much variation there is with an Evo in terms of tuning turbo'd engines so it's really up to whatever you want.
Depends on what turbo, what boost level, what else you do at the same time etc etc

The one advantage of having a standard V8 or V6 is that you'll still probably retain some standard low down torque provided that you don't use too much boost and keep the standard compression ratio.

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
He may have to put in for a Barn extension?

Do you know if he is giving a discount to MLR members??? :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #12
Evoboy

Have you seen under the bonnet of a 3000/GTO? It would take a very clever person to fit that lot under the bonnet of the Paj!! Seriously tho, I would only use a different engine if the one I've got was knackered, still would want to keep the car as a 3.5 V6 :)

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
For what its worth (virtually nothing at all!) a mate had a turbo fitted to a (pertrol) Vauxhall Frontera. Cost him about £3.5k all in. Don't ask me why because I have no idea whatsoever.

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
Teri,

Try calling Brody Brittan Racing (in Brackley, Northants). They used to (don't know if they still do) do turbo conversion kits for various n/a vehicles (mx5 etc). I'll bet they'll find your rally lorry a challenge!

P

G

·
Discussion Starter #15
Brown Paper Bag

In my opinion, the best mod to a Vauxhall Frontera is to drive it off the edge of a cliff (sorry Lee) :)

Pond

Cheers, didn't think of them, have got a video at home of when they had a Sapphire Cossie supercharged to the extreme!

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Teri,
Why not go the way of the old Lancia Deltas and fit both a supercharger (for low down grunt) and a turbo (for high end grunt). Would become a beast of a beast then ;)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #17
Andy

hmmm... why not indeed! May have to change my name tho to Robin Banks! :)

will see what happens in 2 weeks on the rolly road first!

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter #18
Andy

Bin thinkin again!! If the supercharger would give low end grunt and the turbo high end grunt would that in effect spoil what I have already got? Got low, mid and amp; high end grunt anyway, dont want to take that away, could do with a tiny tad more torque tho (cant have too much of a good thing:) )

Teri

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Teri,
Fitting both a turbo and supercharge to your motor would be a major major job and you can guarantee that no-one will have tried it yet.
The supercharger could be arranged so that it boosted your low to mid end before the turbo was up to speed and then at a set revs, you would switch to the turbo and use the boost generated by that for the mid to high end of the rev range. All in all a very very complicated way of doing it but very effective.

If you don't want to lose to much bottom end torque then you'd probably be better off going for a supercharger rather than a turbo. If you were running a turbo with a reasonable amount of boost then you'd have to lower the compression ratio and this would mean you would lose the low down torque that you've got. If you go for a supercharge running a small amount of boost then you could keep the same compression ratio and would get a good power increase as well.

However, these are just my opinions and I'm sure if you speak to someone knowledgable about turbo and supercharger conversions they will be far more use than I am. ;)

Andy

G

·
Discussion Starter #20
Teri,
somewhere that does a supercharger conversion for the 3.5 V6 Pajero engine is here
Price is $7000 australian and I would have thought that taking the car over there may be a problem for fitting!!!

Another one is in South Africa here but again, shipping and fitting may be tricky!!! This website does give before and after power and torque curves for a supercharged 3.5 Paj though

Andy

1 - 20 of 24 Posts