Votes: 27 54.0%
  • I hate Turbo-lag (please give me ALS)

Votes: 23 46.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I love turbo lag, as someone mentioned in the 360vs400 thread, it makes it easier driving around town.
Also, as one of our fellow members has in his sig, turbolag is like foreplay.......the accelerations good enough off boost for just a fun drive, but then when you get that almighty kick.....ooooh!!!!! :cool:

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
too much is awful but a bit does help to potter about, do like the calm before the storm though :cool: als for me is just a gimmick, great fun though :D

·
Registered
14,954 Posts
It's great with your mate's in the car for the first time; pottering about to get her warmed up, they get lulled into a false sense of security and then...whoooooosh! :D

One of my mates actually said "Well, it's a nice car and all, but I don't see what the fuss is about" then I turned onto a nice straight piece of tarmac and floored it before slamming on the brakes to stop at a roundabout. His reply:

:eek: "Funking hell!" :eek:

...and his car has 225 bhp!

·
Registered
377 Posts
A small amount of lag is nice, gives you that calm before the storm feeling, but i think if i had to wait longer than 3.5k rpm for boost it would start to get annoying.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hate it.

And don't like the idea of ALS either, for a road car.

Prefer the direct response of a non-turbo motor, especially if it has six or more cylinders, with the option of minor movement of the right foot being translated directly into minor changes of power delivery - allied to a chassis that responds in a similar fashion then that is what driving is really all about.

But can't argue with the wodge of power/torque delivered by turbo motors, after all.

·
TOO many posts.......
17,132 Posts
I`d rather have instant response myself, my cossie had some lag, but as mentioned when it kicked in it was AWESOME, especially being rear wheel drive, you`d be able to spin in in 3rd :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Lag isnt much use for overtaking is it. Loads of power, you just cant use it. Pointless.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel that for the talented driver, unless you're driving a weiner car, Lag shouldnt be a problem, as the good driver will learn how to keep the car in its power band, just as a drifter uses heel and toe to maintain revs for a good drift, so should a turbo user be able to know when to shift, i mean how often in a fast road or track situation do you drop below 3500rpm anyway?! :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Dont quite think the people who mind alittle lag are on about enjoying it wen goin full pelt, more wen just tootling along and slowly letting ur car come to boost wen coming to a long straight like onto a motorway or something.

·
Registered
720 Posts
djmisio85 said:
I feel that for the talented driver, ... Lag shouldnt be a problem, as the good driver will ...
Wondered when the subject of 'driver talent' would crop up :(

Regardless of how good, or not, a driver you may be, a turbo engine will have some amount of lag. A 'better' driver may be better able to 'drive around' that problem, but the inherent fault is always there in the engine design.

That 'better' driver would still benefit from an engine with reduced, or absence of, turbo lag.

Keeping the revs up does indeed reduce the lag, once into 'the zone', but that is avoiding the issue, not fixing it. And even then, a turbo naturally has a softer feel to the throttle - until the turbo kicks in and then you get the huge wodge of power; yet more uneven power distribution.

But if power delivery is to be uneven at all, it is of course to still nice get as much as you can over as wide a rev band as possible.

·
Registered
583 Posts
don't think it's about talent really.

if you're driving quick/semi-quick and can keep the revs up the lag's not a problem.

go from slow to medium/quick speed and the lag is hugely annoying. overtaking can be problematic as you have to open the throttle before you really want to.

drive a non-turbo car with 300bhp and you'll not want to go back to a 300bhp turbo car!

·
Transmission Dynamics
7,804 Posts
I think a lot of people get Turbo Lag mixed up with boost threshold, the time it takes for the turbo to start producing positive pressure.

The two are completely different. Lag is the time it takes for the turbo to spin up and for the intercooler, intake manifold and all the pipework inbetween to pressurize after a period of no throttle, when all this volume has negative pressure.

Lag is not to be confused with the boost threshold. The boost threshold of a turbo system describes the minimum turbo RPM at which the turbo is physically able to supply the requested boost level. Newer turbocharger and engine developments have caused boost thresholds to steadily decline to where day-to-day use feels perfectly natural. Putting your foot down at 1200 engine RPM and having no boost until 2000 engine RPM is an example of boost threshold and not lag.

·
Registered
13,142 Posts
I see it as a necessary Evil :D

In order to get the mid range torque and top end bhp from a 2.0 you need a reasonably big turbo...

Whilst I prefered the response of my M3 running similar power to my EVO, this is outweighed by my EVO's midrange "push in the back" which feels even harder than it is going from nothing to loads of torque as the turbo's threshold is reached :D

When my Skyline was running a T78, it's boost threshold was 5000rpm, which was both a pain and relatively undrivable/unsafe given the car's long gearing, but I still missed the utterly ballistic feeling when it did come on song when I changed to the smaller GT35R...

Currently I drive my car with low(ish) levels of boost 'cos I think that gives the best compromise of mid-range acceleration whilst reduces the turbo lag a bit...

That's defo one of the best things about turbo cars - you can set them up as you want them to run :D :coolsm:

Rog

·
Registered
178 Posts
GEEE U GOT SOME EXPERIANCE IN TURBO CARS U HAD EVERYTHING EVEN A M3 ARE U A HAIR DRESSER THEN DID U RETIERE AND BUY A EVO :crackup: :crackup: :crackup:

ONLY JOKING MATE, TAKE IT THAT URE EVO IS THE WHITE ONE IN THE PICTURE NICE VERY NICE...

IVE JUST HAVE JUST A EVO 4 BUT I MIGHT INVEST IN A 4.5 :coolsm: :coolsm: :coolsm:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts