Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there done a turbo elbow replacement on the car witout removing the radiator?

I've read it can be a b!tch to get at some of the nuts. I've got a fairly good selection of sockets spanners, sockets etc. and I was going to put tape a thick bit of cardboard round the radiator.

Any input appreciated?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
9,716 Posts
You can do it without removing the rad yes. But it adds about 3 hours, 7 skinned knuckles and £32.50 in the swear pot to the job.

Rad removal takes 10 minutes and the job is just so hugely easier you would have to have a very compelling reason to leave the rad in.

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Lee, it sounds like you speak from experience.

I guess I was just trying to be lazy by not removing the radiator. However, after reading several other howtos on the net I'd pretty much come to the conclusion that removing the radiator would be the easiest way.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
forget it !!! the nuts almost always seize solid and they are a bitch even with the rad out . best removing the turbo complete and doing it on the bench , when removing remove manifold turbo and elbow as 1 unit . will take around 3/4 hours if you get a move on . plus soak the thing with lots of wd40 the night before .

dave

·
Registered
320 Posts
I tried this once with leaving the turbo on and just taking the radiator out.

Ended up stripping the threads on one of the bolts on the elbow. So much for an easy job.

So I just removed the turbo, it just made the job so much easier.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts