Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So am running a GT30 at present on an AMS mani. It's making around 550bhp and is mainly for track use.

I have been wondering what to go for next if there is a next. I wouldn't want any more power but increased power band and spool would be essential.

Questions are.

Turbo recommendation and why (EFR, Blouch,Precision,Garret)?

Change manifold move to twin scroll etc.?

Or is the extra cost not worth the benefit?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I know its a stock frame but the blouch 760 seems to be a good choice at that power level, maybe even ross sport hpb?

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
Both Jason4567 and I have EFR units on our 2.3ltrs. Me having the 7163 and jason4567 has the 7670 both with internal wastegates. Spool is fantastic especially on the 7163 with its twin scroll setup. You would be better to speak to Jason for his feedback directly.

One thing I noticed after trying different combinations on the internal wastegated 7163 is that the boost does drop off higher up in the rev range, so I would definitely recommend going for the external wastegate setup to get the best out of it. However take a look at the graph and see for yourself.

Other thing with the EFR units are that they are physically quite large, so unsure if it would simply bolt up to an existing manifold.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Both Jason4567 and I have EFR units on our 2.3ltrs. Me having the 7163 and jason4567 has the 7670 both with internal wastegates. Spool is fantastic especially on the 7163 with its twin scroll setup. You would be better to speak to Jason for his feedback directly.

One thing I noticed after trying different combinations on the internal wastegated 7163 is that the boost does drop off higher up in the rev range, so I would definitely recommend going for the external wastegate setup to get the best out of it. However take a look at the graph and see for yourself.

Other thing with the EFR units are that they are physically quite large, so unsure if it would simply bolt up to an existing manifold.
I am tempted more by the 7670 than the 7163 I'm worried the 2.0l won't work quite as well though.

·
Premium Member
358 Posts
I am tempted more by the 7670 than the 7163 I'm worried the 2.0l won't work quite as well though.
You might be ok if you went for a small housing on the 7670 and went twin scroll. Take a look for jasons build thread, he has a 6 RS2. Might be some power graphs nearer the end of the thread.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I certainly wouldn't be going back to a stock frame turbo setup if I had that kit. Is it a regular GT3076r (cast compressor wheel) on a t3 manifold?
It's a GT3076r with billet compressor wheel ( GT307659R with Billet Hta) on a T3 mani. WG is in the old place as a opposed to the later versions. It's good on full boost but the power band is quite narrow and on track isn't forgiving if you pick the wrong gear. At Donny I find I'm in 3rd screaming rather than 4th just on the thresholds.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,573 Posts
Not sure where the '59' comes from.... thought it might be to do with the A/R but .63 is the smallest hotside for a GT3076r. What size hotside is yours?

It might be worth looking at - but I think it might be worth looking at the gearing if you're doing a lot a track work.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure where the '59' comes from.... thought it might be to do with the A/R but .63 is the smallest hotside for a GT3076r. What size hotside is yours?

It might be worth looking at - but I think it might be worth looking at the gearing if you're doing a lot a track work.
Its a .82 I think..

Are you suggesting a shorter ratio box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,573 Posts
Its a .82 I think..

Are you suggesting a shorter ratio box?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I wouldn't suggest anything mate without understanding exactly what you're not happy about. If you have an AMS kit with a billet wheeled 30 it should work nice on track.

When you said "At Donny I find I'm in 3rd screaming rather than 4th just on the thresholds" - to me that suggests you're not too pleased with the gear ratios in the car. If you could elaborate some more I'm sure we can throw some ideas / areas of investigation your way.

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
Good power for eurospec harsh dyno, who mapped it Romain?

I don't think there's really any magical turbo out there what's going to give you any better performance. What's your engine specs? have you got a standard port head and what inlet manifold

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Good power for eurospec harsh dyno, who mapped it Romain?

I don't think there's really any magical turbo out there what's going to give you any better performance. What's your engine specs? have you got a standard port head and what inlet manifold
It was ported a ported head. A radley ultimate race head. But I had a valve guide go through the engine recently and the head is written off. So I'm going back to a head without modification just strengthened internals.

I have a Magnus cast inlet manifold.

Mapped. By Mark S

1 - 20 of 51 Posts