Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently (very recently) got my first ever EVO, an VIII FQ 300 - my dealer tells me that de-cat will add around 14% BHP...? Sounds a lot for a low cost option... any guidance appreciated.

For teh record its on an 04 plate so not due first MOT for another couple of years.

reagrds

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cheers chap... extra 10% sounds a lot more like it... i'll take your advice though and get it done!

Next question then... adding a Power Boost Valve, Motorsport Air Filter, Dump Valve and Split Fires... any point?

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
I was going to do this but thought I would get a new exhaust when the time comes. A bit more expensive but an extra 35bhp or there abouts.

Good to see another EVO in Northampton. Hope to see you about.

Happy motoring :) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
you should be replacing the whole exhaust as a first move, as your car is the MR300 it still has the standard restrictive exhaust, change it for a full Magnex for about £550, that is Down pipe, Decat, and Cat back system, all 3" pipework in stainless with a lifetime guarantee. this will free it up no end, about 30-35bhp. Next step is a HKS powerfilter in the standard airbox, there was a guy selling them cheap on here (brand new), I believe his username was Bleesh .
enjoy your new car :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
588 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful (yet expensive) world of EVO ownership. I have an VIII FQ300. I have done the DeCat and it has made 2 very noticeable differences.... 1st it's improved the spool up. 2nd the exhaust note it now much improved sounds like it should have ! ;)

I was recommended exhausts produced buy a company Miltek. I have found them to be fantastic. I believe they are hand made mandrel bent stainless. My 3" decat pipe was certainly of good quality. When the time comes I'll go for one of their full 3" systems.

Great service. I called them up mid afternoon ~3pm and it arrived the following morning. Very helpful staff. What's more they threw in next day delivery. Can't recommend them strongly enough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,392 Posts
glen4 said:
you should be replacing the whole exhaust as a first move, as your car is the MR300 it still has the standard restrictive exhaust, change it for a full Magnex for about £550, that is Down pipe, Decat, and Cat back system, all 3" pipework in stainless with a lifetime guarantee. this will free it up no end, about 30-35bhp. Next step is a HKS powerfilter in the standard airbox, there was a guy selling them cheap on here (brand new), I believe his username was Bleesh .
enjoy your new car :)
Oops, I though the VIII 300 had the uprated exhaust on as standard (bloody FQ versions!). There's your first mod Phil :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
God bless you all... and all who sail in you!

New exhaust system it is seeing as your all being so agressive and beating bullying me into it.

no stop, ouch it hurst.

I truely hope you all loose you licenses before your lives and love being part of this community, this car appears to be a better buy than i thought! will keep you all posted and many thanks for your advice.

Keep it coming

Phil
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,995 Posts
philkfc said:
adding a Power Boost Valve, Motorsport Air Filter, Dump Valve and Split Fires... any point?

Phil
I think you'll find those above mods are a bit more for non-evo cars (ie RS turbo's etc)

The way to go with new evo's seems to be as follows:-

Full s/s exhaust system as already informed by others
Uprated air filter of your own choice.
Uprated fuel pump (walbro 255ltr)
Uprated ECU
Boost controller (there are many different types)

The standard plugs should be fine.

A dump valve doesn't increase performance any more than the standard recirc one already fitted, but will sound better if you like that sort of thing.

Have a gander around the "technical" section on here - you'll find a lot out ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I'm also intrested in this theme because i am about to buy a Evo VIII. Sadly in Slovakia you can only buy a 260bhp version and got no choices for equipment except colour and interior colour /black - black, blue - black/ I would like to know if by modifying things here mentioned, you dont loose a warranty or something.
My friend just bought a new Impreza WRX and told me that you can get rid of some kind of turbo silencer very easy, and the effect is more turbo noise. Can this be done also on an evo?

thank you
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,995 Posts
I think you mean the insert in the tailpipe of the Superdragger exhaust ?
Yes, apparantly it can be removed easily - have a look in the exhaust section on here and you'll probably find more out.

The superdragger was only fitted to certain VIII models though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,120 Posts
gsrgeoff said:
I think you'll find those above mods are a bit more for non-evo cars (ie RS turbo's etc)

The way to go with new evo's seems to be as follows:-

Full s/s exhaust system as already informed by others
Uprated air filter of your own choice.
Uprated fuel pump (walbro 255ltr)
Uprated ECU
Boost controller (there are many different types)

The standard plugs should be fine.

A dump valve doesn't increase performance any more than the standard recirc one already fitted, but will sound better if you like that sort of thing.

Have a gander around the "technical" section on here - you'll find a lot out ;)
In all honesty is it actually worth while having an uprated air filter? The panel filter for the FQ300/320/340 seems to do the job pretty well and its size even gives a mushroom filter a run for its money due to the fairly high surface area.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
14,884 Posts
gsrgeoff said:
A dump valve doesn't increase performance any more than the standard recirc one already fitted
The standard dump valve leaks boost above a certain level, thats why almost all of the tuners/mappers insist on replacing so the boost is held better when they tune the car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
the picture is building a treat lads and i'm putting together my wish list as we speak.

amateur question no doubt, but i'm assuming that all the other bits on the car will cope with the extra power as tackling the springs, etc is very low down on my list!

the general gist of what i'm getting is upgrade the exhaust system, air filter and plugs for starters then let the above discussion re the dump valve run its course and act accordingly?

Phil
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top