Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after a LONG time deliberating over which stock frame Turbo to upgrade to, I took the plunge with a TT S214b. The only other one which I was seriously tempted by was the Blouch 3.0, but it was that bit more that I couldn't really justify it for my aims.

After speaking to another Evo owner a used TT S214b was sourced and sent directly to TT for inspection/ rebuild. This is where things took an unexpected turn, and in hindsight, should have set the scene for the things to come.
It wasn't an S214b, it was infact an S205 which had been modified to accept a billet wheel, so it was an S205b. No big issue, plenty have run the 205 on strokers before. However, it was 'well used' and by that I think TT were politely telling me it was goosed. Fortunately for about half the cost a new unit they could rebuild it, and fit the 214 shaft.
This was done and it made it's way back to me all shiny and new looking- I think only the compressor cover and actuator were re-used given the box of old parts that were also returned!

I then discovered the elbow wasn't a TT item, it was a standard one. TT were really good and did one hell of a deal on a brand new one.
I then started to pluck up the courage to remove the old turbo- a complete 8 FQ-400 setup. This went REALLY well, nothing snapped and it all came off as it should.

I then started the assembly of the new turbo, elbow and FP manifold with ARP studs and genuine gaskets- but it wouldn't be the same without some paint :D
I think I got away with baking it all in the oven without the missus spotting it! :naughty:

Now it was all going great until I went to preset the actuator and fit the water lines- and this is where I should have expected issues after the mix up at the start.
It turns out the coolant and oil lines aren't stock Evo 9 items and when pre-setting the actuator it turns out it's goosed.

So it's 80% fitted and hopefully I'll have the other parts in hand early in the week.

In the meantime, does anyone know if there are different outlet pipes- before I cut this one in half?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Bit of an update, using the phrase of a friend "She's a runner!"

I really can't praise Turbo Technics enough for their support with the issues relating to the elbow and lines. After speaking to Ryan, he sent me a FULL fitting kit and elbow at a bargain price, and as with everything new (and in stock) it arrived the following day from TT.

The only issue I wasn't able to fully resolve was how the elbow joins the lower IC pipe. Having looked on here it appears there is either a different elbow or different lower IC pipe for it to be a direct fit. In the end it was out with the hacksaw and a 15 degree 60mm silicone elbow.

I finally was then able to fabricate my 4" intake, sadly the turbo inlet is VERY close to the gearbox so using a 3" to 4" coupler wouldn't do the job. Instead a 45 degree 3" (76mm) to 4" (102mm) did the job. Just the Spec-R heatsheild to install (it needs trimming as it fouls the power steering heat shield) and I think it's job done!

First impressions are the noise- there is a very distinct induction 'whizz' which becomes more of a traditional 'boosting' noise once its over 10psi. Looking forward to getting the boost control dialled in and a session on the rollers to see what the improvement(s) are over the old setup.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,352 Posts
looking good ad, hopefully pop up to see you soon.

be good to see how the meisters an all the upgrades are doing.

dan

·
Premium Member
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couple of updates since the last one.

Minor-ish issue with the air filter- couple of loose pieces of rubber fell out of it- which I found entirely by accident. So check the inside of your sealed air filter before fitting! :eek

I've not altered the fuelling map but have just finished putting the base boost map on at 26psi. It's at full boost by 4700rpm (I may be able to improve on this) and holds this easily up to 8,000rpm and EGT's are a lot lower. Given it started hammering down with rain and was wheel spinning in 3rd gear I'll save the remaining 4-7PSI for another day!

It's very different to the FQ-400 turbo that it has replaced, the car is a LOT quieter when on full boost (all exhaust whereas it was all induction before).
Certainly feels a bit more lively than I remember it :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts