Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there
On my IV, I've got trouble engaging 2nd gear. In fact all the gears are very notchy, but 2nd is the worst.
For the first 5 minutes of driving it will not engage 2nd at all!
Is this a common failure?

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
grant, try firing the car up and going through the gears, whilst you are waiting on the car warming up ,seems to help:smthumbup

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Waiting for the car to warm up?
I just drive it! It's my daily driver ;)
i know what you mean mate but just give it a try ;) fire it up and go through the gears or five times mate , try it, what do you have to lose mate , i do it with mine if its been sitting for a few days and it helps, 2nd gear seems to be notchy in all evos till they are warm

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
It goes into all the gears, yes. Pretty notchy though.
they are known for being notchy, if you look it up in the forums you will see plenty threads about the boxes, try what i have said to you , cheaper than a gearbox l nothing to lose mate :)

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
try a semi syn gear oil. sometimes changing to a fully just highlights the wear in the box. if you run quite high power then this is prob not a good idea though.

·
Premium Member
3,841 Posts
yes, change the oil for some fully syn **** hot stuff, wont cure but will help, gets better with warm up
i have found this can make some boxes worse. you are really just masking a the problem though rather than fixing it.

·
Registered
12,391 Posts
might just be a rubber on the connecting rods.

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Done an oil change recently and it's no better. Used Silkolene Syntrans as per Oilman's recommendation.
Looks like it's box off time then!
Do you mean Syn 5 ?

If so that's your problem, switch to a 75/90 semi like Fuchs Titan or even Comma (but make sure you get the GL4 type). It should improve a lot.

The other thing is just wait and all the bits of metal that are causing the problem will wear / break off :lol:

Cheers,

Simon

·
Gizzmo Distributor
8,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting comment on the oil.
May swap to a different oil then, even though that one is recommended in multiple places on here!
Got the bearings to swap for the ends of the cables, but can't see why it would be better when warm if this was it?

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Interesting comment on the oil.
May swap to a different oil then, even though that one is recommended in multiple places on here!
Got the bearings to swap for the ends of the cables, but can't see why it would be better when warm if this was it?
The bearings will give a more precise positioning of the shifter forks helping the change. Syn5 is apparently good for a new box but as they wear, it provides too much lubrication and the synchros don't synchronise.

Also, have you checked for clutch drag ?

Cheers,

Simon

1 - 20 of 35 Posts