1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Been having a problem with my battery going flat for a while:
http://www.lancerregister.com/showthread.php?t=376368

But I have a solar powered trickle charger connected to the cigarette lighter.
BUT, as the cigarette lighter is only on when the ignition is on, does this mean that the trickle charger is not working?!

And if this is the case, can I get a garage to do this rewiring job to get the lighter on constant live?!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Stu,

Thanks a lot for your input.
Think I will use both of your suggestions.
Lightweight/small/weak batteries are not ideal for my solution. And having a solar powered charger plugged in to a non-live connection is never gonna help anyone.

Might even be able to start my car reliably soon!

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
wire the solar charger direct to the battery with an inline fuse bud?

·
Premium Member
22,052 Posts
Hey Stu,

Thanks a lot for your input.
Think I will use both of your suggestions.
Lightweight/small/weak batteries are not ideal for my solution. And having a solar powered charger plugged in to a non-live connection is never gonna help anyone.

Might even be able to start my car reliably soon!
Honestly, I feel your pain ;) :D

I defiently refused to admit the Oddessey PC680 (or whatever it was) wasn't up to the job, so much so I bought a second, but especially in winter, it was Russian roulette whether the car would start, got to the point on the coldest days where i daren't go anywhere and park the car overnight.

Admittedly there is a little weight saving, but the booster pack I had to carry in the boot more than forfeitted that gain :crackup:

I managed to move some bits around in the engine bay, made a new tray, and now I have a larger battery in there, with no worries, no matter how long i leave it (within reson) or the weather

Stu

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now have a huge Bosch battery in the boot - thanks Neverneverman for the kit.

Huge thanks to 001 Mobile in Esher for doing an excellent job relocating the battery to the boot, fitting a tracker (so don't steal my car - I cant deal with the phone calls), and rewiring the cigarette lighter to constant live.

Now have confidence back in the car.

Thanks for all the advice.

Lush

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
When I went to Le Mans in the Evo I wanted to keep the battery topped up (as I was draining it by charging stuff but not running the engine) so I wanted to trickle charge via solar.

So what I did was buy a new female ciggie socket and connect a length of 2 core cable with croc clips on the end. That connected to the battery and trailed the new ciggie socket into the car. That gave me a direct ciggie shaped connection to the battery which I could use to both charge the car from the solar and then swap over and charge my phone etc from the car.

Obviously only a temporary solution, but it worked just fine while on holiday. Also, rigging it this way saved me needlessly making a permanent change, and also I can more the charger rig over to any other car without a permanent live ciggie.

I understand that the OP would want a proper permanent job doing, given the circumstances. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts