Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Terrible noise coming from my 25000 mile E6 gsr
I can only descibe this noise as what you might get if you had 2 metal discs spinning in opposite directions and amp; pushed them together. The noise level is relevant to how fast the car is moving and amp; does not alter wether the clutch is in or out. All oil levels have been checked and amp; are ok. Been told its more than likely a gearbox bearing. This is a road car only. Has anyone else had a similar problem? Or any sensible advice would be greatly appreciated. TA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Misred

Sounds like a gearbox bearing which seems to be a common fault with E6's. I spoke to Steve Hill Motorsports about this and they have seen a steady run of cars with this problem this year. I know of a couple of other owners who have had the same problem with their cars. Thought I had the same thing, but it turned out to be something straightforward in the end. If your not covered by a warranty it can be quite expensive, best part of £1,000 normally, and it's a good idea to get all the bearings replaced throughout the gearbox while you're at it.

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its not just a couple of owners either, I have heard of 4 or 5 people now just from my local dealer who have had this problem on E6's. Earliest was at 18k miles but if you are lucky (!) it won't appear until middle 20k miles like yours. The input shaft bearings wearing out after 20k miles is plain RIDICULOUS! It just adds to the list of dodgey faults that the Evo has, what else is lurking about waiting to go wrong prematurely?
If you need any further help on this or an explanation then feel free to email me. Please email me with your symptoms though (noise remains with the clutch in or out and with gearbox in neutral or any gear? noise rises with road speed but not revs?) and I should be able confirm one way or another.

To owners of E6's make sure you use a good quality gearbox oil (Redline etc.) and I suggest that it be changed more often. Its better to do this than having to fork out for bearing replacements which as DaveG says can be anywhere between £850 to £1150.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Daveg, Heave Ho Six,
Thanx for the info, tho it doesn't make good reading. I'll get it booked in and sorted as soon as i can cause i really don't like driving with strange noises. Anyway i'll post the final outcome costs etc for anyone whose interested watch this space.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coincidence? Or cold weather exacerbating it? Because my E6 GSR has just started doing the same. Popped it into Mill Lane Mistubishi in Hook and they seemed almost to be expecting it. Not that rare then.

Worringly, given the notes above, I've only just passed 12,000 miles. Same symptoms, based on road speed only. Mill Lane suggested it was only some chassis numbers? Is this the Monday Car syndrome again? Or were *all* Evo 6s made on Mondays?!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks HH6 - details sent. For the potential interest of anyone else...

These are my symptoms - ghostly (ghastly?) high-pitched whine. Dropping the clutch has no effect on reducing the noise pitch or volume. Changing up or down gear has no effect on noise pitch or volume. High engine revs by themselves don't cause the noise. I can't appreciate any difference under braking/cornering either. It started around 6 days ago and has got slightly worse since. I've checked my fluid levels.

It is usually audible around 30-40mph and gets steadily louder and amp; higher pitched with increased road speed.

It's an E6 GSR Nov'2000, standard running gear, modded induction/exhaust/ECU only. It's going up on the Ralliart ramp on Monday. Watch this space.

Tod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep that is the EXACT symptoms for worn Input Shaft Gearbox bearings. I will get back you via email.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spot on with the diagnosis guys. The gearbox input shaft bearing was knackered it has know been replaced along with another bearing. Cost 850 quid done by dp motorsport warrington.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just to update with the exact problem with the gearboxes and why the bearings wear prematurely.
It has been found that some gearboxes had the Preload on the Input Shaft set slightly wrong in the factory which in turn puts extra strain on bearings leading to premature wear. This problem is known by CCC/Ralliart and effects both UK and Grey Import cars.
The cure is to flush the gearbox clean, replace the bearings and set the preload correctly with the right sized spacers. It is wise to get all the gearbox bearings replaced incase any 'chaff' from the worn bearing effects the others.
The repair is covered by the Mitsubishi warranty.
I still recommended that the gearbox oil be changed at 9,000 miles or after every trackday on such a high performance car even though the fault is not oil related.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
HH6

It sounds like anyone who has only had the bearings replaced can expect another failure. Where did you get the info by the way?

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DaveG,
I got the information from the Service Manager of my local Ralliart approved dealer which he in turn got from Ralliart. My dealer has now done 4 of these repairs and I know he has now got another one booked in to do (waiting for the preload spacers to come in from Ralliart). If the preload is set correctly on fitting the new bearings then there will not be a problem. I can see where you are coming from because if you just change the bearings then you are only curing the symptom and not the root cause HOWEVER checking and setting the preload should be routine when rebuilding any gearbox. I do not know enough about the standard practices of garages to say whether it is done routinely but I would have thought it would be done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I finally got the preload spacer reset by Mill Lane, and it certainly seems to have done the trick. I had forgotten how refined the Evo6 is! No, really. After 3 weeks of grinding up and amp; down the M3 with a wailing banshee under the bonnet, a sorted E6 suddenly seems to be as much refinement as anyone would ever desire.

Tod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Street,
How much did the repair cost, my E6 is an import, i really wanna sort this out before it gets worse, and I know I cant really rely on the crap warranty supplied with my motor.

Prit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Prit,
I got quotes to remove, strip, replace all the gearbox bearings and refit from a couple of places:
Dragon Autosport would do it for £800|PLS|VAT (thats £940 all in) with a one week turnaround.
Mill Lane Mitsubishi, Hook would do it for £950 all in (had to knock em' down £100 though) with a 2 day turnaround when the parts were in.

From above misred got 2 bearings replaced for £850 at DP Motorsport.

Remember if it is the Input Shaft bearing problem then you will need to make sure the Preload is set correctly for which you will need the spacer kit from Ralliart (part no. MMD974233 @ £14.04|PLS|VAT).

In the end I went to Mill Lane (they had done 3 before so knew what they were doing) and they were good to their word in that it took 2 days. I also got it done under my Mitsubishi warranty so it only cost me about £70 in total (they replaced the speedo gear as it was worn).

I must say the gearbox is now a peach, much better than anytime previously even before the problem came up.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Prit,

Use HH6's notes above as a good guide - mine's a grey too, but was bought from a Ralliart dealer (Mill Lane, as it happens), and I made sure they gave me the Red Zebra warranty for 12 months, which covered this repair. The warranty work replaced all the bearings in the box at the same time, which seems wise, and they did briefly show me an internal invoice for £550 which they get for doing the work, I suppose - don't know whether this was just parts?! Add 2 days labour on top and you're probably looking at those £800-£1000 figures, at least. Or maybe the £550 was all-in, at a cheaper internal labour rate when they can't charge it to the customer...

Not a repair to skimp on, I'd guess! Good luck.

Tod.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just had my input shaft bearing replaced at DP motorsport (2 day turnaround) and the box is now really quiet. They replaced the clutch as well as it had less than a mm left on the friction plate. All in all a very expensive experience. If anyone would like to see a photo of the bearing after just 20k miles in a standard E6 GSR send me a mail and Ill post it to you,

[email protected]

1 - 17 of 17 Posts