Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
IV. V. VI. Transfer box. INFO & PICS Cover QUESTION

After reading about the transfer box on here and the suggestion by some members that the TME GSR did not have a front LSD when leaving Japan and saying only the RS version or TME RS had LSD made me wonder if my TME GSR had one was wondering if there was any reason why some transfer boxes have a front cover with two holes in the casing when others do not my TME GSR cover has no holes.

I have now checked with a member that can tell me that my TME GSR left Japan with an LSD because he has access to caps information. Thanks for that info todd-w.

The pictures show what I mean I think.
They are shots of transfer boxes that were advertised on here for sale by members these two examples were advertised as RS type LSD transfer boxes they both have different covers as you can see Anybody know the reason for the two types of covers could one of these covers have the uprated bearings and stronger casing they talk about? if you had the two in front of you to buy which one would you choose?

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
Based upon what I've seen, I suspect that the top one (without the holes) is newer. AFAIK the bearings are the same size.

Of the ones that I've stripped, the top one had the largest diff pack in it (not sure if it's a TME one.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Life after Evo= Elise
15,492 Posts
well i've never noticed that ! Just looked on the shelf and i have 3 without the holes and one with all LSD and the one in my car has the 2 hole and is LSD .

Stange ..

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Diff

Based upon what I've seen, I suspect that the top one (without the holes) is newer. AFAIK the bearings are the same size.

Of the ones that I've stripped, the top one had the largest diff pack in it (not sure if it's a TME one.

Cheers,

Simon
I had tried to send you a message but your box was full see it is empty now Simon. So just went ahead and posted here sorry.:smthumbup

Well the top one is what is in my TME GSR the one without the holes as you say the newer one of the two examples if they are both the same then it would not matter which one you purchased or fitted. So am I correct in thinking that the open diff and the LSD diff all fit in the same casing then?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Diff

well i've never noticed that ! Just looked on the shelf and i have 3 without the holes and one with all LSD and the one in my car has the 2 hole and is LSD .

Stange ..
Phoned you Saturday to ask if the TME had a LSD and you said they all do infact they have a heavier or stronger casing which led me to putting the two pictures up to see if that was the way you could tell. Thanks for your time to talk with me Saturday:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
My membership had lapsed so my PM limit was reduced. :(

Sorted now :smthumbup

The problem is that there are at least 3 different sizes of diff pack and 2 or 3 different crownwheels (different internal diameter).

So you almost certainly couldn't fit the LSD from the top box into the carrier of the bottom one and you couldn't change the carrier 'cos the crownwheel is the wrong size and won't fit.

You could fit the whole diff, carrier/ VCU and crownwheel into the other housing but you'd need to change the pinion.

Smaller packs will fit in larger housings though.

I've found the same problem with two different versions of the earlier "two hole" box as well.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
9,730 Posts

Cheers,

Simon
Are the diff bolts recessed allen head screws not counter sunk , as ive one here and that pack is too big to fit into 5/6 housing also bearings from memory are approx 2mm bigger inside diam

·
Life after Evo= Elise
15,492 Posts
Are the diff bolts recessed allen head screws not counter sunk , as ive one here and that pack is too big to fit into 5/6 housing also bearings from memory are approx 2mm bigger inside diam
I have 3 on the shelf al with counter sunk bolts and my spare has the Allen cap bolts the same as the E8 LSD pack..

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
I can't remember TBH, it's been a while since I looked inside the TME one I've got an itermediate sized diff in the garage (too big for the two hole boxes but smaller than a TME) which may have recessed bolts - I'll try and check sometime soon. I thought the input side bearings were the same size - not sure about the cover bearing or the prop ones.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
My membership had lapsed so my PM limit was reduced. :(

Sorted now :smthumbup

The problem is that there are at least 3 different sizes of diff pack and 2 or 3 different crownwheels (different internal diameter).

So you almost certainly couldn't fit the LSD from the top box into the carrier of the bottom one and you couldn't change the carrier 'cos the crownwheel is the wrong size and won't fit.

You could fit the whole diff, carrier/ VCU and crownwheel into the other housing but you'd need to change the pinion.

Smaller packs will fit in larger housings though.

I've found the same problem with two different versions of the earlier "two hole" box as well.

Cheers,

Simon
God glad I dont have to repair these then Simon, with so many sizes of diff packs out there, anybody that thinks that they only require to change the diff part if theres went bad would be in for a shock you would have to know what the casing size was before ordering or do a full install. Thanks for your great help Simon :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
2,520 Posts
God glad I dont have to repair these then Simon, with so many sizes of diff packs out there, anybody that thinks that they only require to change the diff part if theres went bad would be in for a shock you would have to know what the casing size was before ordering or do a full install. Thanks for your great help Simon :smthumbup

MuFFs Or Pappa Ross
Glad to be of help :smthumbup

It's a right pain changing diffs - I have a good open box and an LSD pack but the LSD pack won't fit :(

Cheers,

Simon

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Diff

WHITE NOISE. You asked

so whats the difference between a gsr txbox and a tme/rs txbox?

Thanks to all the people on previous threads who's input, made this possible for me to trawl through on the MLR, and also to those who have put up these pictures in the past, I hope you do not mind me using your pics. I just added info to your pics :smthumbup:thumbup:

There is no difference they both came with Torson type front LSD Diff's in the transfer box when leaving Japan as standard, and a AYC Computerised assisted DIFF in the rear. THE V GSR. VI GSR. THE VI TME GSR. sometimes known as a 6.5. I am not sure about the IV there is a lot of confusion on this site when someone asks this type of question, as I see it, the reason is that most of us, including me often, are not technically up on the jargon these clever experts use i.e. neverneverman todd-w. spn. STU8. AndyF_RSX. etc, very clever people. i.e. these two words Helical Type meaning with gear's, and VCU or viscous meaning the coupling unit that house's these gears, as in the picture I have put up, this is the area the 4 bolts are breaking in the transfer box which has this Torson Type LSD, again if you do not have this type of TORSON LSD this will not affect you.

This is the diff that some are having a problem with in the 5 speed M/T EVO X

And then put into the transfer box which is also known as the CENTRE DIFF which is bolted to the side of the gearbox

If you have NO LSD in the transfer box, like the bottom picture you can not break these bolts they talk about as this is what they call a OPEN DIFF. and hence NO bolts to break. i.e. have a look round the top cover of the open diff picture NO HOLES.

It is this helical or viscous coupling typed TORSEN LSD i.e. two pictures below that the bolts are in that break.

I have only just looked into this so I am not the brain of britain on this subject. I think that when people keep going on about an RS and talk about the LSD DIFF on that car, what they are not saying to you is, that the diff they are referring to is in the REAR of the RS, and is a plate type LSD, this took me a while to understand when reading various posts. the RS has an open type diff in its transfer box or known as the centre diff by some when leaving Japan unless requested otherwise, as far as I am aware bottom picture, you can see the bar they talk about inside the caseing so you can see right through this type of diff, you can upgrade at any time for what ever motor sport you take up. maybe to a plated LSD like this one here below 2 pics, this also can be put into the transfer box, if you wish to remove the open type diff it came with, this is the type that make's the chatter sound they talk about. The experts are saying i.e. todd-w. neverneverman (Paul) or spn (Simon) that there are different size transfer box, centre diff caseings out there, if you wish to upgrade to LSD type diffs, so be careful check first that the LSD you are going to use will go into your caseing. It would be a good idea to talk to these guys before going ahead with any upgrade.

Just trying to be helpful.

Please experts, correct anything I have put up. as I am at the learning stage.

Have now put this on a thread in the TECHNICAL QUESTIONS titled Transfer Box LSD INFO? VI + TME PICS.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts