Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got my Evo 1 suspension sorted and what a difference.
I'd recommend anyone with an older car to get it checked fully.
And not by the local tyre place with the optical gear. Its a bit pants.

Mine was done about 4 months ago and was supposedly set ok. But never felt as gripy as it should on the road -especially the wet. Too much understeer etc.

So I booked it in to Demon Tweeks near Wrexham in Cheshire. They use laser alignment gear and a computer - set up stuff that a rally or race team would use. They checked the toe in front/rear and front/rear cambers and not a single one was correct. (They give you a computer printout afterwards to show what the before/after figures are)
They adjusted it all (70quid all in - the price goes up the more needs adjusting and mine needed it all). But compare that to wearing tyres out quicker or even coming off the road altogether.

The drive home with a mix of very wet roads and drying roads was a total contrast to the in-coming journey. The car felt more planted, more responive and gripped much better at the front in the damp.
All in it was well worth it.

So if anyone is unsure about their cars suspension it may be worth your while getting it checked, and it does go to show that the stuff the local kwik fit has is only aproximate and not really accurate enough for a car with the cornering performance of an Evo.
The number is: 01978 664468
TonyC

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
Camber adjustment both front and rear is by rotating special offset bolts in the suspension (the rear lower main arm inner bolt and the upper front hub to strut bolt).
(NB Set rear toe-in and accept whatever camber results.)

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Tony

Did you use the settings posted here on the LTR?

After getting my new bowlies yesterday (what a difference!) I want to get my alignment checked out asap too.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I did use the settings posted, as I posted them http://www.ltregister.force9.co.uk/graphics/Happy.gif border|EQU| 0 align|EQU| middle >

Thanks for the advice on the front camber I shall jack up the car and have a look.

I've just come back from goodwood, a good few miles to check the handling and definte improvment.
Great.
TonyC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts