Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If anyone is interested, Tracker have a rather interesting product.

Its called Tracker Monitor; basically, you arm the system and if your car
is moved (even 1 foot!) then the system triggers, within seconds you will
get a phone call (you give 3 phone numbers including your mobile) from Tracker
telling you your car has moved. If its not a false alarm and your car has been stolen,
you tell Tracker whilst they are on the phone and the police are alerted immediately
and begin tracking the car (all forces have the tracking equipment in their helicopters and
a few of their cars).

Cost for this system (fitted) varies between £430-£510 with a yearly subscription of £99
or £299 covers you until you sell the vehicle. I think the RAC charge £450.

Anyway, I want to go ahead and get this fitted; and as I hate paying full price for anything
have managed to negotiate a deal with a local authorised dealer (it must be fitted by an authorised dealer);
if we can get a few people interested, we are looking at £350 fitted; possibly less depending on numbers.

Drop me a mail if your interested.

Justin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I can't even get an EVO insured unless I have one of these fitted (what insurance companies do you guys use?). In case no-one is aware, ntl already do a £100 discount for employees. Also there are thee tracker systems ranging in price. The lowest requires you to call the police when your car is stolen. The middle will trigger automatically on certain things and alert the tracker people who then call you. The most advanced uses GPS etc to find out if your car has been moved (not just broken into) and alerts tracker for you also.

http://www.tracker-network.co.uk/

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great story about Tracker in Evo magazine. They were doing a 3 car test including a Evo 7 which had tracker fitted. Standing next to the Evo, engine off, they suddenly got a mobile call from Tracker - do you know where the Evo is? They were on a ferry! It was moving but the system knew it shouldn't have been.

Even more impressive was when they said it was part of a 3 car magazine test, Tracker told them the makes of the other 2 cars. All three were fitted with Tracker and could be seen next to each other on the system!!

I personally chose TrackStar from the RAC. Researched it at the time and cannot remember why I prefered it!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The only real downside to TrackStar is if you need it for insurance purposes. Almost all companies recognise Tracker, not so many the RAC system.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Both Admiral and amp; Privilege recognise RAC Trackstar, but sadly only give you the privilege of being insured, not a discount. Got mine from Mitsubishi when I got the car - same product, but just re-badged from RAC to Mitsubishi.

Worries me in future developments of these systems that the gov could tell what speed you're doing???? Then they could put a laser in the GPS satellite and....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have tacker monitor installed which is an excellent system.

Just had it checked which costs £50 and includes a replacement battery.

The only down side is that my insurance company offers no discounts on Tracker so will be

looking for a different company at renewal time. Any suggestions.

Skeletor

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I spoke to my insurance company (Bell Direct) and I don't get a discount for a tracker. I live in North London and my Evo 6 is parked on the street overnight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Be careful with Tescos - I know of a number of people who were insured with Tesco and when they came to claim they were asked for their Tracker installation certificate even though a Tracker was not specified when they got the insurance. Loads of sh!t on this apparently.

Also, a very slight aside, can someone confirm if insurance companies don't mind you ringing up to get quotes for a car you don't have yet? I need to get quotes but don't know any details of the car other than the model I want!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts