Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6,766 Posts
I'd like to get one for mine.
What make and models should I get?
How much are they and what does the subscription cost?
Any recommendations?

Cheers,

Karl
best looking on tracker site karl,cant remember how much i paid as i have all my cars fitted with trackers lol

i do have to top spec fitted to the GTR :mhihi:

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
I have one on the car fitted by http://www.tracker.co.uk.

Dont know how much it cost to have fitted, as it came on the car.

With the subscription I had the choice of something like £150 per yer, or £340 for the life of the car (as long as you own it). So I went for the second option.

My insurance wouldnt cover me until I got it activated, because its an import, so didnt have a lot of choice.

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks Alex :D :smthumbup

We've got keep these babies safe.

I have one on the car fitted by http://www.tracker.co.uk.

Dont know how much it cost to have fitted, as it came on the car.

With the subscription I had the choice of something like £150 per yer, or £340 for the life of the car (as long as you own it). So I went for the second option.

My insurance wouldnt cover me until I got it activated, because its and import, so didnt have a lot of choice.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Hi Kins,

I've got the RAC Trackstar which was £300 fitted and a yearly subscription of £132:00 but don't expect them to get your car back as Ebay are selling 12v cigarette lighter GPS blockers as a "Hide from your boss!" gadget, designed for couriers and reps.... needless to say for £52 a thief can afford to shell out for this, as it give piece of mind when he's out looking for a new car. :wallbang:

They're very few and far between in what they do, each have their own gains and advantages but all your really doing with a tracker is pleasing the insurance companies who are already stinging us with high premiums based on how many Evo get stolen in the UK every year. :smthumbup

Not trying to put you off, just check out my stolen Evo's thread.... quite a few have gone and non recovered, but had the much needed and essential tracker required by their insurance companies. I would purely look at the best subscription cost vs the insurance premium when picking which unit to get. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Premium Member
Evo VI RS
21,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Mark... might be worth wiring in a secret switch for the cig lighter.

Hi Kins,

I've got the RAC Trackstar which was £300 fitted and a yearly subscription of £132:00 but don't expect them to get your car back as Ebay are selling 12v cigarette lighter GPS blockers as a "Hide from your boss!" gadget, designed for couriers and reps.... needless to say for £52 a thief can afford to shell out for this, as it give piece of mind when he's out looking for a new car. :wallbang:

They're very few and far between in what they do, each have their own gains and advantages but all your really doing with a tracker is pleasing the insurance companies who are already stinging us with high premiums based on how many Evo get stolen in the UK every year. :smthumbup

Not trying to put you off, just check out my stolen Evo's thread.... quite a few have gone and non recovered, but had the much needed and essential tracker required by their insurance companies. I would purely look at the best subscription cost vs the insurance premium when picking which unit to get. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
Thanks Mark... might be worth wiring in a secret switch for the cig lighter.
Yeah certainly is a thought...I don't smoke so would be best to cut a piece out altogether! But I understand that some of them come with battery clips poking through the side to stick a square 9v battery onto the side....which is enough to power the unit even though the ciggy lighter operates on 12v...

Will try and find the seller on Ebay a second and then you can find a way around it after :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I thought the tracker systems gave out a GPS and RF signal when activated?

That's why the police can actively track them in their cars.

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
I thought the tracker systems gave out a GPS and RF signal when activated?

That's why the police can actively track them in their cars.
they can the RF's are generally less than a mile :wallbang: The company controlling your tracker knows where about it is in the country and contacts the appropriate police constabulary of which they are sent to the area with a full description and registration of which the stolen car. The Police are then told the RF frequencies which they then tunes into the RF scanners on the police patrol car (generally a 5 digit frequency number) whilst being guided by street name from your tracker provider! Now depending on the way the Police car is facing the signal can be stronger or weaker all as the crow flies... most at this point stop get out of the car and use handheld RF beacon wands to get an as the crow flies direction as this has proven to be the quickest way. As you can imagine on a large housing estate, a beeping hand wand isn't about catching the criminals who stole it more of recovering the abandoned car that's since been disabled via GPS. :handsup:

There are clips on youtube I'll find you one :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
they can the RF's are generally less than a mile :wallbang: The company controlling your tracker knows where about it is in the country and contacts the appropriate police constabulary of which they are sent to the area with a full description and registration of which the stolen car. The Police are then told the RF frequencies which they then tunes into the RF scanners on the police patrol car (generally a 5 digit frequency number) whilst being guided by street name from your tracker provider! Now depending on the way the Police car is facing the signal can be stronger or weaker all as the crow flies... most at this point stop get out of the car and use handheld RF beacon wands to get an as the crow flies direction as this has proven to be the quickest way. As you can imagine on a large housing estate, a beeping hand wand isn't about catching the criminals who stole it more of recovering the abandoned car that's since been disabled via GPS. :handsup:

There are clips on youtube I'll find you one :smthumbup

Regards

Mark
Here is something I've just clipped from a site that provides to Constabularies fitting out new cars into Police cars. :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

Attachments

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
So what stops the thief just cutting the wires on the tracker? Or does this set it off?

And where is it even located?

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
So what stops the thief just cutting the wires on the tracker? Or does this set it off?

And where is it even located?
it has a battery and they hide them so people can't find them easily

·
EVOHOLIC !
5,731 Posts
You can get the Toad text thingy, plug it into your alarm and it texts you if the alarm goes off or the car moves and for £35 PA I think ? you can track your car on the internet within so many hundred yards i think ?.

·
Registered
26,575 Posts
You can get the Toad text thingy, plug it into your alarm and it texts you if the alarm goes off or the car moves and for £35 PA I think ? you can track your car on the internet within so many hundred yards i think ?.
thats usefull if the car thief lives in your street :confused:

·
Registered
5,487 Posts
:confused: no, it give you a post code i think and it'll be within so many yards of that post code :mhihi:
The reason I know a bit about these as an old work mate started up his own business and now supplies asset trackers (enfora brand) on plant machinary. This can be tracked on a theft basis and also into his server it has sense offence which can set a pre determined postcode and milegae from it. Then you set your working shifts and it instantly emails upto three emails if any if the asset trackers leave the geo offence area within those times... this indicated people leaving work early and getting mates to clock on and off job cards on their behalf.... British Gas is a big purchaser of his and Sam my mate told me that on test day 3 just mid December only 47% of the work force stayed to see out their shift on that Friday!

He then overlays his details from the server onto the google earth platform so that it can be viewed in a user friendly format. it then pin locates each work van as a number and has three boxes of field information, driver name, registration etc...

A seocnd feature he has built into his platform is that it ping the server upon movement every 10 seconds....as GPS is very accurate, one of the field boxes when watching it back live will also bring up a speed similar to the way TomTom, knows how fast your moving due to GPS..... All very cleaver stuff, but anyway here is a demonstration of a system not unlike his own. :coolsm:

YOU TUBE CLICKY

He provides these after putting them together at a cost of about £160 per unit :smthumbup

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
175 Posts
I fit Smartrak great units and a reasonable price
will track the car and send a guard when located by police to see it goes no further
Ian

·
Registered
633 Posts
i have got traker retrieve on my e5 and it was £250 fited and £7.50 a month for keeping it live hat to fit it to get insured look on internet it was on a special offer our it would of bin £350 to 400 fited and 120to 130 a year to make it live .
so i would shop arawnd and play them at there on game biy saing you can get it cheaper sumwere els:smthumbup

1 - 20 of 25 Posts