Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is track day insurance advisable?

I have had a quote of £110 for a single day which only covers the bodywork none of the internals, seemed a bit poo to me!

Cheers!

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,880 Posts
You'll have a big excess too. It's up to you, personally I've never insured my car on track, but that's me. They're a lot safer than you think.

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
:rolleyes: That's what I always thought - and you generally think "it will never happen to me" - but you could have a blow out or someone else may hit you etc etc.

Yes it's adviseable - especially when you write your car off.

If insured with pace ward they only charge about £65 for trackday cover.

I believe Keith Micheals adds it into the policy anyway.

or try Competition car insurance for a one-off price for the day.

Be aware the excesses are generally 10% of the car's value.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew about the excess being high and I wouldn't be bothered claiming for minor things, my only concern is writing it off and having to pay my loan back for a car I don't have anymore!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
if you are worried about it dont take it on the track

you cant expect insurance to be cheap for track days think of the risks?

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
The MLR insurance policy has it as an add on for £62.50

This is full cover for the car not just the body work, what use is bodywork only cover? If you go nose first into the armco - you'll need a new intercooler radiator, air con rad (if applicable) oil cooler possible turbo depending on the impact :(

Check the small print in other add on's as they may NOT offer the same level of cover.

Jeremy

Pace Ward - MLR Insurance Broker

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
InsBro said:

This is full cover for the car not just the body work, what use is bodywork only cover? If you go nose first into the armco - you'll need a new intercooler radiator, air con rad (if applicable) oil cooler possible turbo depending on the impact :(

Check the small print in other add on's as they may NOT offer the same level of cover.

Jeremy

I was gonna ask for a quote for this year when mine is due but I don't suppose you do anything for a single day until then do you?

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
3v0 said:
I was gonna ask for a quote for this year when mine is due but I don't suppose you do anything for a single day until then do you?
Not at the moment :(

Jez

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I might leave the track days until after august when my policy is up for renewal and see about taking one out with you guys with the track day bit too.

Not that i'm planning to stack it or anything! Just it would be heartbreaking paying for a loan on a car I don't have anymore!

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
InsBro said:

Jeremy

Just out of intreset, is that per event or an extra to add track days to the policy?

Thanks

PS have been trying to get hold of you for the last few days about a quote, but will PM you about that.

Thanks
Paul

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Jez - i rang today and i missed the quoteline by minutes :( poo. Does the trackday insurance cover the Nurburgring???
Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,602 Posts
Steve220 said:
Jez - i rang today and i missed the quoteline by minutes :( poo. Does the trackday insurance cover the Nurburgring???
Steve
As you probably know the Nurburgring is a real grey area at the moment.

Some insurers are excluding one way de-restricted toll roads from there policies! :( - so check carefully

One of the insurers we use underwrites the majority of stand alone track day cover we have open discussion at the moment on that very subject.

Spa is not an issue by the way

Jez

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
InsBro said:
As you probably know the Nurburgring is a real grey area at the moment.

Some insurers are excluding one way de-restricted toll roads from there policies! :( - so check carefully

One of the insurers we use underwrites the majority of stand alone track day cover we have open discussion at the moment on that very subject.

Spa is not an issue by the way

Jez
cool. I rang today to your place, and hopefully someone is going to ring me back :) I just hope it is today as my insurance is up as of 3pm tomorrow :(

·
Registered
8,764 Posts
Just been speaking to one of your operators :D finally, someone thats nice to talk to and listens about insurance and your situation :D Really do hope they can beat my current renewal :(

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
raj_uk said:
I just phoned my insurer who said that unlimited trackday cover for car & mods for a year would be around £200 extra

I'm waiting on an exact quote back from them, but this is a lot less painful than I thought it would be
Thats a bargain, I asked my boss who he uses for his noble and he uses competition car insurance, so i got a quote and it was £130 for the day!! So that's £130 + £60 for the track day + £50+ on fuel, It's an expensive do, might have to give it a miss till summer. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts