Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for some new tyres and seem to remember the Toyo Proxes T1-S getting a good write-up in some car magazine recently. They are very well priced for high performance tyres, http://www.toyo.co.uk/t1s.htm, so I would like to see how they match up to Pirelli, Michelin etc.

Anybody have any experience with them? Comments on Toyo tryes in general would also be welcome.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've used Toyos on my 2000 Turbo race car (see members cars), but only because they were a control tyre.

They seemed to work fine, but like I say, everyone else was using them, plus because my car is so stiff it generates a far deal of grip anyway.

I think they're a reasonable tyre that won't wear out in two minutes. But don't expect Yoko or Bridgestone levels of grip.

I'm running Avons on the Evo 1 at the minute. They seem to be fine - resonable grip (although again, I think it's the car generating the grip rather than the tyres), and they last a reasonable time as well. Unless you let Tiff Needell get his hands on them, and then attempt about 10 laps of Cadwell as well, in which case they'll last about 40 miles!!

The best bit about the Avons is that they're £54 each including balance, valve, fitting and VAT!! (195/55x15)

In reality, I don't think it makes that much difference to road driving - unless of course, you're using something like Kleber Ditchfinders!!

You'd have to be seriously travelling to be able to realise the extra grip generated by fancy tyres.

Go buy some cheap Avons, and keep the rest of your money in your pocket!!

Hope this helps............

Rob.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Avons are about the same price and I would certainly consider them, British too!.

Which Avon tyre is it you have?

Do they have a groovy tread pattern? I know it's sad to ask but the Pirellis I currently have look like they belong on a 1978 taxi, if you know what I mean

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have absolutely no idea which Avons they are!! And it's cold and dark outside just at the minute.

I'll have a look tomorrow and let you know.

Can't comment on the tread pattern. Again, I'll let you know.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you, with Christmas an' all that!!

My Avons are CR338's. As for the tread pattern, they aren't what Max Power would probably describe as sexy , but they look fine to me...............

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Having tried at least 6 other types of tyre on my STI 3 RA V-Limited I have found the toyo T1S to be the best of the bunch IMHO. The tyre isn't the ultimate in the dry, but it is way up with the best. The toyo is fantastic in the wet, giving silly levels of grip and having a lovely smooth progressive breakaway when you exceed the limits. Excellent tyres!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have just put a pair of T1-S on the front of my Lancer. I used to have Yokos. The Toyos provide a fair bit of grip (not as much as the Yokos though). The Toyos have a harder compund and therefore will usaully last longer, but the sacrifice is grip. Still - for the price, there pretty damn good. I haven't tried any other brand since moving to them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just put a pair of T1-S on the front of my Lancer. I used to have Yokos. The Toyos provide a fair bit of grip (not as much as the Yokos though). The Toyos have a harder compund and therefore will usaully last longer, but the sacrifice is grip. Still - for the price, there pretty damn good. I haven't tried any other brand since moving to them. I have tried three different Toyo tyres. FZ4 - pretty good, but a start to slip a fair bit toward their end of life. T1 Plus - also pretty good and good in the wet. T1-S - haven't pushed em much yet as I haven't had them on for long

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thought of getting some Toyo's untill someone recommended a cheap tyre place local to me,
I got 4 Yoko 635's 205-50-16 for £82 each inc vat, balancing,fitting. I thought this was
amazingly cheap for such a good tyre. 195's would be a bit cheaper again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Before you all jump on to tell me their is no Yoko 635's, I meant A539's (the new one), what
can I say..., anyway they must be ranked in the top 3 for dry handling.

·
Registered
8,808 Posts
I have T1R's, they are ok.

I wtd to be on the first thread aswell :D

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have t1r's... and what can i say, they are brilliant. Used them on my trackday in mondello in the rain and never spun out or lost control. Had potenza's on it when it came in and they werent the best for stopping my car in the wet

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I had the T1-R's fitted before i switched to the dunlops, glad i swapped to be honest.
They werent very good on track, lots of roll and crap feedback due to the softy soft sidewall and not too grippy, just squealed a lot.
The Toyos are fine on the road and for normal driving but just didn't cut it for me where needed.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm no fan of the Toyos as per my other threads. Though I think I was driving a Clio company car back when this thread started, and they put on some quality tyres like "Road Champ", "Marhsall" and the long time favourite "Linglong".

1 - 20 of 23 Posts