Lancer Register Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please no comments about how its wrong to put a tow bar on an evo, buy a second car if I want to tow, evo's aren't meant / alllowed to tow :yawn::yawn:

A few people have asked about tow bars for the 10, there is nothing available from what I could see from trawling the internet, so thought i'd have a go at making 1

I also must stress, this is only for pulling a light trailer, with no intention of pulling anything heavy behind the car, I have a 50mph tractor to pull anything heavy :mhihi:

I was determined it was going to be detachable, and when not attached, absolutely no sign the car has a tow bar was to be visible, that includes the electrics. The answer was to have everything behind the rear number plate. Its not completely finished yet, few finishing touches / cosmetics needed, 1 of which is the number plate will hinge upwards, when the tow bar is in place

Also the unit was painted black after galvanising, I forgot to get some photos painted before I fitted it

So a few pics off and on the car

Stu

Attachments

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Fair play stu. Looks quality.
I can see the headlines now. " Evo hooligan caught doing 100 pulling a trailer "
:lol::lol:

·
Premium Member
1,252 Posts
Wasn't their an evo 8 "i think" towing a caravan on topgear years ago? Anyway the engine went.

Each to their own lol.

Ps - looks very professional stu.

·
It is what it is.
1,109 Posts
Looking good Stu. Fitted a Watling tow bar on my wagon last weekend, it's not quite as hidden as yours but it tows like a dream. :smthumbup

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Great idea well done
:smthumbup

Fair play stu. Looks quality.
I can see the headlines now. " Evo hooligan caught doing 100 pulling a trailer "
:lol::lol:
I had a towbar on my 5, it was locally known as the fastest trailer in the North West :mhihi::lol:

Wasn't their an evo 8 "i think" towing a caravan on topgear years ago? Anyway the engine went.

Each to their own lol.

there was, but that was a highly modded evo pulling under WOT to try a top speed run, very different from a light trailer at normal road speed, and cheers :smthumbup

That's a cracking job!
:smthumbup

Looking good Stu. Fitted a Watling tow bar on my wagon last weekend, it's not quite as hidden as yours but it tows like a dream. :smthumbup
I had a watling towbar on my 5 for 10 years, never had any issue in that time, either pulling the trailers, or failures due to pulling the trailers, in fact the car pulled it with ease, and competently. So much so, I got caught out in a flash snow fall, with my large trailer on 70 miles from home, it handles even that with no issues what so ever. In fact it ended up the only solid bit of the rear of the car, the rot got the rest of the rear :lol:

Stu

·
Premium Member
159 Posts

Each to their own lol.

They were trying to break a speed record though. Also it was a Norris engine so you know......

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
How could you For FKS, are you mental, letting it get into such a filthy date...

Well done on the bar, turning the car into what works for you. Dab hand with a welder too..

Reactions: stu8

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How could you For FKS, are you mental, letting it get into such a filthy date...

Well done on the bar, turning the car into what works for you. Dab hand with a welder too..
:lol: it was actually clean about a week earlier :lol: Now my cars are never clean, but, the 10 does seem to be a dirt magnet :wallbang::D

Cheers :smthumbup

Stu

·
Registered
524 Posts
The horror..

the parking spaces aren't well marked.. someone might park to close

Reactions: stu8

·
Premium Member
22,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Flip up plate sorted, locked down with magnetic strips. About as discrete as I could get it, and the cars a bit cleaner :lol:

Stu

Attachments

·
Registered
261 Posts
I like it a lot cracking job mate few years back my old man used to tow his burger van with 400bhp sierra Cossie used to get some funny comments please said new meaning to fast food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 23 Posts