Lancer Register Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone seen torquecurve.com?

Mine & MarkSmarts cars are the number 1 comparison :eek: It's a bit of a work in progress at the mo, but the idea looks cool to me.

Just a thought - Isn't the practical performance of a car best defined by the area under the torque curve?

·
Super Moderator
Jesus built my car
38,858 Posts
Just a thought - Isn't the practical performance of a car best defined by the area under the torque curve?
Yes. I was involved in a system about 10 years ago that did this. The graph points were stored in the database and a graph was shown and the area under the curve calculated so you could compare two cars and see what was "faster".

Good to see other people almost catching up :D

(BTW the guy helping me with it went on to work for Owens who did the FQ400).

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So what's the unit of measure for the area under the curve? Ft.lb.rpm?

·
Premium Member
11,249 Posts
We've had the area under the curve on MLR Modified for years. You can take an average of the torque or bhp or add up all the sample points. Doesn't matter as it's just a comparison value.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice avatar Dave :coolsm:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yes. I was involved in a system about 10 years ago that did this. The graph points were stored in the database and a graph was shown and the area under the curve calculated so you could compare two cars and see what was "faster".

Good to see other people almost catching up :D

(BTW the guy helping me with it went on to work for Owens who did the FQ400).
Haha, it'll get there Aidy! Just a couple of things to sort out :p but it's almost finished; Area under the curve is coming (#128489 on the to do list :mhihi:)!

Hey Sib, area under the curve is a measure of 'work' so the units is Joules. Thing is, when going pedal-to-the-metal, the area in question is actually the area under the graph at the points between gear shifts, i.e. 1000rpm (ish) before and after the point of peak power.

Quick Question - take the graph for the 'tomei arms',

http://www.torquecurve.com/comparison/1858846009

the peak power seems to come in around 5500rpm, but red line is around 7000. Why would you red line a car so far from the peak power point. Is there a reason? :shrug:

Pete

PS - Does anyone have a 2.2 or 2.3 running a standard turbo???

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hey Sib, area under the curve is a measure of 'work' so the units is Joules.
I understand exactly now you have said that. Thanks :smthumbup

Thing is, when going pedal-to-the-metal, the area in question is actually the area under the graph at the points between gear shifts, i.e. 1000rpm (ish) before and after the point of peak power.
And I had been wondering about that :lol:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
...... so for maximum work you would want peak power before the red line?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup! My understanding was that you'd generally have the red line a 1000rpm or so after the peak power point, which is why the Tomei Arms confuses me so!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts